Thread: Advise on Electric motors

Advise on Electric motors

I know this post probably belongs in the boating section but I know this section would have a huge number of experienced electric motor owners so I've posted it here. I recently visited my parents in SE QLD and borrowed their tinnie a couple of times to fish some of the impoundments in their area. I caught a few fish trolling but struggled when casting amoungst the timber. I think my down fall was not having an electric. I tried lining up a drift up wind of the timber and bouncing my way through it but found it quite fustrating. Point is I'm going to donate an electric to my parents boat.

I've never had any experience with an electric and therefore have the following questions:

1. What pound thrust would suit a 4.3m ally open boat?
    2. Do I require a special battery or is a standard car battery ok?
    3. How many hours operation am I likely to get from a battery?

My parents tinnie has bow rails and a forward platform that tapers down so as I'm not permitted to do any major mods I will be look towards a transom mount motor.

Re: Advise on Electric motors

This is the only way to buy batterys at the moment in SEQ!

http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/_bb...pic.php?t=2588

Lives at Caloundra.

Early in the morning before the wind gets up a 32 pounder will do the job easily. Your problem won't be with the thrust of the motor once the wind gets up it will be the nose wanting to skate around on you once it picks up the wind - that is why the Bass/Barra sort of boats are better for that sort of application because they pick up less wind.

I had a 54lb 12v transom mount on my 425 stessl until recently (bow mount upgrade-finally!) and I wouldn't go any smaller than that. I use a 130aH trojan and can usually fish all day it intermittant use with no noticeable drop in performance

Hi!
    I have a Riptide 40lb thrust on a 3.75 tinny, it would push her along around the 4-5knots mark on full throttle and goes well trolling at speed 1-2 pending on current and wind. but as mentioned above the wind causes dramas with a trasom mounted electric in the wind. but i have got around this to some degree of sucess by motoring backwards! sounds silly i know but the back of the boat isn't affected as much as the front so the control of direction is better with high winds, also speed 1 in reverse seams to be a little slower than speed 1 forwards so it gives you more casts into the same hole b4 you get moved around.

Cheers
    Brandon...

PS: bow mounted is SOOOO much better with control!! i think its to do with getting pulled through the water rather than trying to push through it.

yes I did the same with my transom mount, found it easy to pull yourself around backwards. main problem is though that you don't have your main motor at the other end in the water stopping it from swinging around as in a bow mount setup.

H Pointyfishi
    My 54 lb Minn Kota will make me run on dam all day with 160 amp 4x40 amp batteries why 40amp batteries? they come secondhand from electric wheel chairs and alowed only one year use-- good enough for another 4 years the total cost? 30$ each normaly 170$ and fully sealed
    My rig don't take too much resistance even in windy conditions provided i take the bimini off
    I agree with wheezer about the size 54 is comfortable and can get you out of difficulty especially with a Maximiser

good fishing Ahoj

Thanks for the advise fellas.

ahoj.
    Where do you get batteries??and do you charge them with an ordinary charger??

ive got a transom mounted 55lb thrust min on a stacer 3.70 Sea Sprite and it does the job, while not overly fast its not bad.

Hi Jimbamb

Try Scooter & mobility 9/278 Nicklin Way Kawana Waters phone 54 938455 ask for Bryan #tel #him Eugen sent you

I use ordinery 10Amp charger from cheap Auto

Ahoj