Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is it with Bass??

What is it with Bass??

could someone explain to me why Bass are so popular??

i was asked a question the other day about Bass....and it got me thinking

do people eat them??( all i hear is people doing the catch and release thing)

i havent actually caught one myself..(and dont feel the need)..but have seen various dvd/fishing shows were people do......and it doesnt seem that the fight real well..although this could be camera work.

the amount of stocking that takes place must mean that they are a fairly common species in dams now...but i am still yet to see a reciepe for Bass anywhere.

i cant compare them to Barra stocking...as Barra grow to huge size...and people still eat them at various sizes...i also cant compare them to Toga...as they are a fairly uncommon catch.(in some cases...and in the different locations)

i tried comparing them to Bream...but anyone and everyone catches Bream...and eats them

so whats with this Bass thing??????

Re: What is it with Bass??

Their Australias native fish! I haven't fished for them but I believe the the thrill would be in the hunt, in fooling one to take an artificial.

so are snakehead gudgeon...but i dont see many people targetting them

im not trying to get a bite here

i just dont see why a fish that grows to about 55cms?...instills such fanatisim...and the extreme catch and release policy.

They do fight pretty well, although i haven't caught that many but when i have they have been as good if not better than a yella.

I like to eat them they are quite nice, and this is why we do pay our SIP money for, so they can restock the ones we take. Only having a bag limit of 2 is very good to as this is just the right amout for my Wife the kids and me for tea.

No special way to cook them though, i just try to eat them while they are still fresh, within the first day or so. I just dip them in milk and eggs and some breadcrumbs or fillet and skin them, and wrap them in foil, with some lemon pepper, kids love it i love it, mmmm now i am hungry..

4:30am the mist is just lifting off the water in the predawn you can see a alley between the lilypads so you fire small popper in there, a slow twitch and wind reterive as the lure clears the lily line a ferocious strike blasts the lure out of the water by a foot or so. This takes you totally unawares, as the lure falls back into the water it is nailed by 50cm of very agitated bass who is hell bent on putting you into the lilys.

They might only be bass. But I couldn't think of a better way to start the day.

still_water

Thumps,
    Bass and Bream fishing for myself and my family is just as exciting as targetting Barra. I use 4 to 6 lb line with hard bodies , soft plastics and spinners.
    Fishing is just a great past time and job for some of us lucky ones, the eating qualities of a Bass are nice if prepared properley.
    Some days may only see 2 or 3 Bass but a good session if you position yourself over a school will see up to 50 landed in under an hour of all sizes from 20cm to 59cm.
    Selection of the right weighted jighead coupled with the right softy will produce more strikes.
    Early morning as the Sun is rising we work the edges and head deep for the large schools on soft plastics as the day warms up.
    I personally do not care where I fish just as long as I can wet a line.
    Regards
    Brett

G'day Thumps,

They do fight quite well and they are a pretty fish.

I personaly don't think they taste as good as most other fishes, but each to their own.

I think some of the stocking attraction is also that they are native and a reasonably hardy native.

Louis

Hmmmm, sounds a little like fishing for trout.

Minus the lillypads and popper.

Juicy

The fish I ever caught trolling was a bass and I can tell you I screamed, cooeed and embarrassed the hell outta Brad with my "come to mamma!" at the top of my voice.

We lived out near maroon dam at the time and to be honest unless you where willing to travel a long way to catch bigger fish the Bass are it, they might be little but the fight hard and are great fun.

PS I eat 'em, but then again I eat just about anything!!!

Al

that should be first fish.......blondes hey

Quote Originally Posted by bassace
    4:30am the mist is just lifting off the water in the predawn you can see a alley between the lilypads so you fire small popper in there, a slow twitch and wind reterive as the lure clears the lily line a ferocious strike blasts the lure out of the water by a foot or so. This takes you totally unawares, as the lure falls back into the water it is nailed by 50cm of very agitated bass who is hell bent on putting you into the lilys.

They might only be bass. But I couldn't think of a better way to start the day.
    could not of said it any better if I tried...

granted the largest bass I have ever seen is 54cm...the largest I have ever seen a true picture of was mid 60's...the these fish are our native fish...they fight extremely well...some impoundments/rivers hold bass that do fight harder than other places (dont know why that is), but the bass in Clarrie Hall Dam would pull an equal size Hinze Dam bass backwards anytime!

The greatest thrill is the initial hit...nothing....nothing....nothing....whack! on light gear (lets face it, you aint chasing mackeral here) these fish will pull line off you and head for what ever structure they can find. They fight dirty as well...I think they got fighting lessons from the jacks. I have seen Bass deviate for a snag and when they realise they wont make they will turn and head for another one...even had one swim directly for one under the boat! making for a whole lot of slack line (you can only wind in so fast afterall.

To me they do fight better than a golden perch, and their numbers in impoundments make them a viable target. I dont eat them because (believe it or not) I dont like the taste of fish...any fish that is.

But the true essence in Bass fishing is in the wild...take the above scenario from Bassace but put it in a small river with not only lillies, but trees fallen into the river, a carpet snake coiled around the thickest brach metres from your canoe, kingfishers diving for small baitfish...platypus surfacing to have a look around...it cant get much better than that.

Plus they can be caught on all sorts of lures.

Thumps
    It's a lure fishing thing.

Once you've graduated to jure fishing, fishing with bait just never seems the same again.

It aint easy though and that's why all the great lure takers are so revered.

Barra, Tailor, Bass, Trevally and Jacks just to name a few.

All these species hold a special place in the hearts of the lure throwers.

And that's also why we like to let em go because it's not about the food
    anymore. This time it's personal.

PK

Quote Originally Posted by Girella
    Thumps
    It's a lure fishing thing.

Once you've graduated to lure fishing, fishing with bait just never seems the same again.
    i get the lure thing...ive been a lure man nearly all my fishing life

ive caught tailor, trevally...no barra yet...but hope too next week....no jacks...but will keep trying

i also get the sunrise aspect...having fished the opening day Trout season at Bronte Park for 12 years straight (lovely people Dennis and Robin Weiss..its up for sale at a good price btw)

what i dont get.....is a fish that i see as comparable to trout..yet noone seems to eat it much....just catch and release

maybe im missing something here...but i dont see the need for all the Hype that it causes

*shrug

maybe its the whole experience...and doesnt matter WHAT fish it is????

they are nothing liike a trout IMHO

most poll that are out there have found the bass to be the hardest fighting native fish in australia for is size and even has many barra/bass anglers admiting that if they grew to the size of a barra they would be unstopable

but for you to find out what the fuss is with bass then i sugest that you get some one to take you chaseing a WILD river bass in it;s natrual surrounds

don't forget the added bouns to alot of us is that it is a native fish that we can still chase not like some of the cods and others that we have stuffed in the past