Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BARRA DEATHS TOO MANY

BARRA DEATHS TOO MANY

This topic has been aired before, but I am noticing and observing mistreatment of some bigger barra at Lake Awoonga by many anglers. I had a charter a few days ago with 2 clients that were interested in trolling. We trolled, hooked and released one barra in amongst many boats. Another boat hooked up not far from us, so we continued fishing at a distance observing these lucky anglers with a good fish. It was netted and boated, a nice barra. We hooked up again, and one client played and landed a metre plus barra which we photographed and released in well under a minute. We re-set lines once again and hooked another good fish which escaped shortly into the fight. We set the lines again as we observed the other anglers photographing their catch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,only to then watch as they tried to revive the fish and I imagine, it swam off, or sank from sight!!
    10 mins would have passed from the point of landing to the time this fish went back into the water. WAY TOO LONG FOR ANY CHANCE OF SURVIVAL!! We also watched another boat hold a barra from the water for well over 5 mins (timed), and then watched it be hung from the jaw by one hand before it was tried to be revived. it died!!! How Obvious was that Outcome?!?! This fish was taken and utilised I imagine, as the boat left the lake shortly afterward.
    Barra are not tough fish, certainly not as tough as eastuary cod for example. High water temps and low levels of oxygen are a problem on their own, yet mass time out of water is EXTREMELY DETRIMENTAL to the barramundi's chance of survival. Many fish are found floating dead and rotting, many more washed up on our foreshore's, and oil slicks seem to wander the surface trailing from decaying fatty fish.
    Anglers who see a barra swim free are not guaranteed the success of the release was 100%. No one is guaranteed, but certain behaviour is far from acceptable especially when the fish being captured are around 5 to 8 yrs old! The chances of these bigger fish having being captured and successfully released by more than just one angler before in their earlier life is very high, and it is very unfortunate to see their demise from incorrect handling, considering that these bigger fish have done it hard in their life and probably well deserve another go at life and to hopefully fulfill another person's dream of landing a "Whopper!"

Proper education I feel is a must, and possibly TV commercials, or, the distribution of some fliers or handouts, as similar to the post that we on AUSFISH created a month or more back could be turned into something very useful. The wider community I feel, (all anglers included) should read and understand the tactics required for satisfactory releases to ensure future generations and angling trips are rewarded with quality fish. Older, bigger barra can't be replaced with new stocks. They are not just a big fish, they are a valued, time consumed animal that has taken mass effort by both the fish and people to reach their 'highly noted status!'
    Continue to mishandle, and we won't have a future of XOS AWOONGA BARRA, or Faust, or Monduran etc etc etc Same applies everywhere.
    Concerned, yet willing to help through proper education.
    Johnny Mitchell
    Lake Awoonga

## big lake barra are unfit and are usually totally exhausted by the time they reach they net. An exhausted, physically drained fish is in mass need of oxygen to rejuvinate after a drawing or extended fight. Barra expend mass amounts of energy when jumping, more reasons to take into consideration why quicker releases are essential to their health and to best chances of survival.

Re: BARRA DEATHS TOO MANY

the distribution of a barra's body mass needs to be spread over a large area as a 'support' as opposed to a hanging point or lifting point. 4 hands help hold this fish up for a quick photo. Note the dorsal spikes and the barra's fins all erect and alert. This is in indication of a good state of health that this fish is in. All the same, the quicker the fish is back in it's natural environment, the better chance it has of recouperating and surviving.

it is wise to hold a barra in an upright position when reviving for a quick release. All body weight still needs to be cradled until the barra is totally submersed into water once again. A few forward motions helps pass water over a barramundi's gills, helping push oxygen through its starving system. Most barra swim off freely after only several seconds reconditioning in the water. Sometimes it helps to just push the fish free, they usually propel themselves to keep the o 2 system working happily. A gentle touch of their tail often sees themsleves swim strongly away from the boat. Always keep barra in an upright position in the water and avoid making unnatural movements with the fish which may disrupt its sense of balance and its state of 'equilibrium!' - a disoriented fish is off in 'outer space' !

BG

Maybe a sign such as the one that displays noxious fish at the ramp of Awoonga could be used to alert/remind anglers of the key points you have mentioned in this post, Iam sure the cost would be minmal and well worth it, especially if it helps prolong the life of any fish in any of the impoundments. Just a suggestion,

Cheers Ben

John- i understand what your on about and i know that this doesnt only apply to your fishery in the impoundments, but as i understand each fisherman needs a permit to fish these areas so why not have this information on the permits.
    Bens raised a good point as well.
    With all the money thats raised and used to stock and maintain these impoundments surely some should be utilized in educating the users of this resourse .Places like awoonga are known for there large barra and i asume thats why many go there to catch these oversize fish, if places like this dont lead the way in education i fail to see it trickling threw to the main stream public. Hope you have a win mate...foxy

No permit is required to fish Awoonga now.... just turn up and fish....The is a pamphlet made by ET about releasing fish .....Most tackle shops have them... getting them to the masses that fish Awoonga could be a problem ...Maybe we need a box with a sign that says Please take one..At the ramp. Now if only one out off ten take a pamphlet we will make some small improvment....
    Kids need models, more than they need critics."
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand."
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Yeap it all helps i guess.
    At least if there was a sign or pamphlet readily seen or available, its possiable when you witness poor handling to yell out from boat to boat suggesting that it maybe wise to read the sign next time...

bosso

johnny i cant get onto sharpy is he back yet and for how long will he be back do you know???

been and gone he has, like the wind, like the rain, here one day, gone the next.

An impoundment Barra can be "shook" to get the dorsal to stand up, even if its in poor condition. Have seen it before. Not the best indication to say that the fish will survive.
    Jas

Mate i was wondering

with all the Austrailian manufactureres around right now
    and all the "barra" lures they make

maybe an approach to place a small paper insert into the box of every lure sold.

i know a certain company used to put such a thing in theirs a few years back.

if the industry wants to have good sales...then they maybe should put something back in the way of mentioning sustainability within the areas their trying to sell to.

i realise this has alot of what if's about it...but maybe ...well you never know

cheers

Thumps, Great, logical idea. Thats what scares me!
    Often , the answers to our problems lie in front of us, but either the "blinkers" are on or politics get in the way of the true solution.
    Seems like an easy way of education.
    Jas

Careful, cancer of the colon is terminal....side effect of blowing too much smoke up someones bum....

.....just joking.

Think it's a good idea too.

The more people educated on this the better

But

It's unfortunate that there will be still be an element of "don't get a sh!t" types, that will always be around.

Juicy

Can't add much to the thred.... but the message needs to get to the fishos before they hit the water.... Maybe a pamphlet issued with the S.I.P may help even tho Awoonga is not on it.... #as a lot of people with S.I.Ps fish Awoonga. Now this is a great site..... but the message will only get to a few via threds like this one as the topics only get a few hit ups and are usually the same Ausfishos anyway,
    #Handy link for anyone that is new or would like to learn more about fish care. # http://www.info-fish.net/releasefish/

# Cheers Les

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

Your doing good john, the awareness helps.

a basic sign at the boat ramp with a few simple ideas could be easy enough.