Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BARRA DEATHS TOO MANY

Re: BARRA DEATHS TOO MANY

Les

I think that a lot of fisherpersons don’t realize that when you catch a small fish (barra, jack, bream, Jew etc etc etc ) they give an almighty display of energy on the deck of any boat.
    Puts a smile on any ones face.
    But when you catch an osxl of any species of any fish, and take them out of the water Gravity takes over.
    When we go swimming you should be able to understand what the osxl fish goes through. We as fisherpersons pull them out of the water, But still don’t understand what the fish is going through for the extended time when we take photos and/ what ever.
    Gravity will smother them. > > > >

Hope this makes sense

Dan

...the dorsal is a great way to monitor the condition of a fish, 'shaken' or not. A poor conditioned fish will lower, and or drop its fins very shortly after the 'shake', a well conditioned fish will hold its fins erect much longer showing its positve state of well-being. A high standing dorsal fin or dorsal spikes doesn't guarantee any survival, but it gives us an idea of the volume of energy reserved in a fish's system.
    No, we don't want people to start shaking barra to see if they are awake or asleep etc, but a barra's body language tells us a great deal about what a barra is feeling. The young cocky rooster stands tall , fit and full of courage at the front of the pen, whilst the weather beaten old 'has been' stands half mast, his comb half over, half drawn from an exhausting past life, now lacking certain vigour. Body language of people, animals, and fish is a sure way that we can visually get a grasp of the health and state of 'liveliness' of each individual. Wild African animals pick the weak and dying through visual senses, and its a trait that us as humans can use to monitor, in this case, fish, and at times, how to minimise handling, to maximise survival chances.
    johnny M

*i'm happy to start the ball rolling, by finishing off a handout( i saved what was written last time) to be distributed at local fishing caravan parks, fuel stations etc, or creating a short and to the point fish handling laminated poster!
    I'm positive it needs to be done.

Any more thoughts??

Yeah Dan.... I sort of know what ya talking about..... I recon the best way to release any fish especially big fish is to leave them in the water while unhooking them. I understand all the hype surrounding peoples first and or biggest of a species and wanting to get photos etc. I used to get photos of just about every Barra or Murray Cod i ever caught.... I guess it was a ego thing. But now I or we us & Co release most Barra, Bass, and Murray Cod etc while there still in the water and in a lot of cases we deliberately give the fish slack line in hope that they throw the lure beside the boat.
    We still get a few photos from most trips but keep it to minimum as we feel we don't have to prove nothing to anyone. If you are a seasoned angler I don't think you should be pulling every meter plus Barra or any other sized or species of fish into the boat just to get a photo. It may be a different story if there are sharks or crocks around. “Just my view “

Cheers Les

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one Mitch

why so jas? its all good info, share it, tell us what you are thinking?
    johnny

i'll take mine stirred not shaken

Johnny,
    Just a different school of thought. I personally dont believe that an erect dorsal dictates a fishes survivability. Sure its a good sign, and its pretty obvious (to most of us anyway)what needs to be done regarding the care of a big fish, and how to increase its chance of survival.
    Just my own opinion.

I do agree with the education angle though. Im sick of seeing and smelling dead Barra on the surface.
    Saw 5 today, from 750mm to 100cm plus. >

I guess the easiness of the trolling game has introduced a whole new group of anglers who are not educated in the safe and careful handling of Barra, large OR small! Limited boat knowledge as well, from what I have been seeing lately.
    Anyway.......same old same old.
    Cheers
    Jas

Johnny,

going back to that post of yours a couple of months ago along similar lines, what was your take on Max Garth's angle about not taking flash photography of them? Thread seemed to die after that post of mine with no comments by you, Les, Matrix, Trev, etc., etc. Just curiuos to know what you guys all think?

Smithy.... with regards to the flash photos thing on Barra from Max Garth
    I'm taking it on board until i see some solid proof.... early days yet. But it is one of the reasons why i keep the photos to a minimum. I don't know what the long term efect will be from the Flash on Barra. But i'm all ears if anyones got some good info on it.

# #Cheers Les

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

Wouldn't have a god dam clue on that one!! Best to be honest when you know no different. Interesting point, daytime fish i wouldn't think would be affected too much by flash, and i imagine most night time shots would have most affect on only one eye. Like Mc Cod said, I too am all ears on that one.
    If its proven detrimental, I'll stop doing it, no worries there, but i do recall 12 months ago, catching a saltwater barra at night time, and having my mate photograph it 3 times in short succession. i released the fish only to have my mate capture the same fish again on a lure not 15 mins later!!
    Just more to think on i suppose.
    Thanks for bringing it back up Smithy

Johnny,

I think it is great that you are willing to spend your valuable time to produce a handout to educate other fishers about handling big barra. What about distribution through the local tackle shops in Rockhampton and Gladstone. I am certain that the local tackle stores would get plenty of fishers saying "heading down (or up) to Awoonga, what lures should i take" type of comments being made to them. The handout could be given out at this point with a recommendation about the importance of reading and understanding the information provided. Hopefully, the local tackle shops can see the importance of this education process as they of course benefit greatly from the fantastic fishery that Awoonga is. I am sure this could also be applied at Faust, Monduran and other impoundments. Just a thought.

Cheers
    Don.
    Cheers
    Don.

Mad_Barry

Part of the problem may be due to what seems like more trolling the open water going on lately in these dams than casting (or trolling) in the tight cover.

The need for an aggressive drag setting is not as important out in the open water as it is when extracting them from up in the timber. Fight times are being extended. (in some cases to ridiculous levels).

On a recent trip to Faust, a boat near us hooked up. The guy looked to be onto a real horse. Keeping a distance and taking the chance for a break, we sat back, cracked open a tinny and observed.

This dragged on, and on. (I've no idea on the actual time), but it was way more than was needed. When the fish came in, from a distance it looked to be an 'average' fish of around the 80 to 90. Good fish, but certainly not enough to justify playing it out like a 1000lb marlin on 6 kg

It would have been completey stuffed before it even came from the water.

Good idea with the handout, maybe add something like: 'Keep the fight times as short as practical', as well.

i have...and will always agree with all that has been written on the care and release of these mighty fish

however

Dicko
    i tend to be of the opinion..that MAYBE your first Barra should be allowed to be fought out....bit like taking your first Marlin i guess

its ok if you have caught a few Barra....but i know IF i manange to get one on...then i will let it fight to the best of its ability...(we will be trolling)

having never caught one...alot can be learnt from that first fish

after that...yes i agree...get it to the boat asap so it can be released in good nic

when all said and done...it is a put and take fishery

some good extra points coming forward. i like the tacke shop distribution idea. Most of the basic points had been covered in the prior posts a month or more back, but there are a few new ones coming to the fore that should be added to get a few points across.
    anything more???

Saw another big girl washed up on the western bank of Awoonga across from the ramp this morning. It was fresh, probably caught last night as there were many trolling that area. The sooner there is some education, the better. Even the simple act of squashing your hook barbs can make a huge difference when handling and releasing a big Barra. Quick lure removal, a quick measure &/or photo (if you haven't already got one, I mean, how many photos of Barra do you need?) and off she goes.
    On another matter of education, ramp courtesy is also much in need of a refresher. Wind your boat on and drive up out of the way. This morning some punters waited patiently while both lanes of the ramp were occupied with one boat being tied down and prepared for the road and the other chatting about the catch. The bottom of the ramp is where you bang it off and bang it on the trailer. All the rest should be done up the top off the ramp. Ray