Thread: Lake Monduran Barra

Lake Monduran Barra

Well i just made my first trip to lake monduran on the weekend to catch me a barra, sadly not one was caught, not even a hit!
    I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some info on how to catch them up there. Types of lures & colours, trolling speeds, special spots, best conditions. I would be greatful for any info.

Re: Lake Monduran Barra

Dave,
    This subject is discussed a lot in this section. The best thing to do is go back in the history of posts and you will find a huge array of advice and pointers. Also there is a guide down that way who knows the dam very well, and you will find information from his trips there also.
    Jas

Dave321 don't get to cut up about it as most people that were there on the week-end got the big O also. The Barra were very quiet with only a few caught that i heard of. I was there over the week-end Fri, Sat,Sun and found it very tuff. I think the barro pressure was very low ? We only caught a few Barra and jumped one off. Even the Catfish were a bit slow.
    The only lure i could get a strike on was a lipless crankbait "Doozer".
    Mate i think you just picked a bad week-end.
    Most barra lures work @ Monduran..... Gold colours have been working OK along with Storm mid-thunder cranks , 125MM RMG Scorpions 3 or 4 mtr bibs in white & Red "Qantas colour " A mate of mine has been Killing them on the Barra Maulers made by Producer lures in most colours .
    Trolling in the deep water say 15 feet plus its a good idea to keep the speed up around the 2.5 to 3.5 Km/HR .... but thats when the water is hot..... slow it down in the winter time. If Trolling in the shallow stuff go a bit slower and work the lure with the rod to impart some extra action.
    Hope you score on the next trip

Cheers Les

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

still_water

The past weekend we hooked up to 18 SAT and 14 SUN and boated about 50% of these fish .But we have our days to of no fish, if they dont want to chew they won't. While the temps are down forget trolling and look for warm pockets and start casting, lure choice is personal but as mentioned golds are a favourite for almost everyone.
    We heard a lot of reports of no fish or one fish ,but all came from anglers that were trolling. Those casting seemed to have a better success rate.
    Hope this little bit of info helps.

Cool Re: Lake Monduran Barra

Hi , I am an 8 year old boy . I am going to Munduran Dam in the first week in Oct. I am needing info. My dad won't give me any info because I catch more big fish then him .I am going to catch barra,what is the best way to fish.Are poppers good lures and what colour.

Well!!!
    fishboy I like your attitude i recon you will catch more fish than your dad
    If you dont blame him for not takin you to the fish!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Only advise i.ll offer is to keep trying..The more casts the more chance of fish.
    Jim

We've been quiet successful on the 110mm squidgy slick rigs pro series in the drop bear colour on a cast a very slow retrieve. That has caught us around 6 to 7 metre's of barra on one big snag. But on some days you have to work hard up there it's not called Lake Misery for no reason. I've seen the pro's up there come back with nothing which doesn't make you feel as bad.

careful fellas,

THIS POST HAS BEEN DUG UP FROM 2006...INFO MIGHT BE A BIT DIFFERENT!!!

Fishboy, Good luck mate. I wrote you a little info following your post in the Ben Hur: Monduran Sept thread.

cheers steve

thanks for the info I'M GOING TO TRY had and cast lots and lots