Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The weirs - Townsville

Mad_Barry

Re: The weirs - Townsville

Instead of one of the local creeks this year, the pro tackle sponsored talapia [s]extermination[/s] competition is on up there this weekend. (In the park near the Blacks weir boat ramp).

I might drop up. In a quirky way, I'm looking forward to seeing the odd metre barra wake up a few of the kids while they're catching talapia

When you wander up this way again Fitzy, feel free to give us a yodel if you're looking at getting out for a fish.

I must admit, I was quite surprised to see people standing shoulder to shoulder casting lures in bucketing down rain while standing on a very overflowing Blacks Weir. The guys must have been wearing suction cap boots not to fall over and a fall, in those conditions, would have certainly resulted in a serious injury.

Would've been better off in the Tavern downing a few beers....

Was just down checking out the wier and the only thing biting was the mozzies.
    When is the best tide to fish the saltwater side, run in, run out, or does it not matter?

I reckon a run in tide in late afternoon is the best bet (full moon is good too). When Aplins is overflowing it probably doesn't matter as the small barra will be attracted to gather in the freshwater influx trying to swim upstream in vain.

Yep agree with Bad bubby there that the top of the tides usually best as the barra will generally move upsteam with the tide and the weir is as far as they can get.. Be mindfull that the tide will take a bit longer to push up to Aplins than whats stated on the tide chart for Townsville Bar..If you can coincide the tide with low light conditions(dusk/dawn/evening) and a dropping barometre all the better of your chances will be ....Cheers Smithy..