Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The weirs - Townsville

Re: The weirs - Townsville

its such a cagey topic isn't it.........just like the fish!

Quote Originally Posted by noodlemantra
    its such a cagey topic isn't it.........just like the fish!

cagey my big fat butt

its another example of the .."i'll do it my way...and stuff the law..i'll find a way around it" mentality

calling a fish by another name...doesnt make it another fish

I'm sick of these "cowboys" making excuses to flaunt the law

In other States...the practises that Qld'ers get away with would be prosecuted to the full extent.

maybe that why there is so many have a dream to catch a Barra...their forefathers destroyed the fishery with that exact same attitude.

So can someone tell me what laws I tell my kids that are ok to break.

I read so many times on these forums about being role models, setting examples. I also read a lot of between the lines stuff that says stuff you I'll do it my way. But when it comes to actually saying something there are a lot of hypocrites (and yes I can be one too - but, as with fishing in general, there is a bigger picture).

I'm not saying that DPI should be down there charging people or upsetting kids but they should at least have a presence there if they are serious about their own rules.

I still don't think anyone should be ON the weir walls during flood though. That's asking for trouble. I guess I'll see one or two at work (I work in an operating theatre)

I'll stick to the law this time. Just save some for the rest of us.
    Any fishing is good fishing (should probably say Any fishing is...probably going to be illegal soon)

Hi Everyone

I don't think the problem is limited to Aplin's and the Black Weir. I say close fishing off at the Weir all together during the closed season.

In the local rivers, I know a large number of anglers who continue to fish their barra spots for Jacks etc but seem to think 20-25 cm mullet are good bait.

And what about fishing guides who still seem to sit on known barra spots during the closed season.

It's not so much about intent, its really about mentality. The reference to Dinosaurs is a good one.

Peter R

and the law is the law
    hmmmm - no comment

Mad_Barry

I remember this sort of post from last year

I don't have a problem with fishing the upper weirs during the closed season, as mentioned before, they're artificially stocked. Technically wrong maybe, but morally no problem. You're aren't upsetting the breeding cycle, because they don't breed in the weirs anyway. I've also heard there are moves to have the ross wiers added to the closed season exempt list, along with the other artificially stocked impoundments like faust, awonga etc.

Salties are a different story, leave them breed in peace.

Better still, everyone should go and fish the fresh side of aplins and accidently release any barra over the other side of the wall into the salt to become future breeders. some go over anyway after a decent rain, you're just helping them along. The more breeders out there in the salt the better off we all are

Dont know what the fuss is about come the first of Feb there will be pros netting everywhere where I am and they will take more fish than any of us on ausfish would catch in a lifetime.

Breaks your heart to see the nets go in the barra that come out not to mention everything else. So if a few hundred blokes accidently catch a hundred barra who cares because one pro here catches 100 in an hour

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

There is a certain creek north of TSV named after a famous rock band of the 60's where a few have been landed and taken. Naughty boys claiming to be "brothers". Reported to DPI but not much interest shown.

Blacks,Gleesons and Aplins weir are fished on a regular basis over summer espeacially by the young local kids over school holidays etc..While i don't condone breaking the law to catch a fish and it is against the law to fish the freshwater parts of the Ross targeting Barra during the closed season its my opinion that the weirs should come into line with other stocked bodies of water in Queensland and be available for fishing year round...Paying for a SIP to fish this section would greatly enhance funding for Townsville/Thurongowa fish stocking assc to continue its excellent work by way of stocking this impoundment. I believe it should be a catch and release only fishery so as to allow these fish to go over the weirs and eventually into Cleveland bay when we do get a flow ..

better them fishing than what people I knew used to do when I was a young teenager. The odd Chlorine bomb was often exploded at the base of the dam (Aplines).

Fish weren't targetted, it was just watching great plumes of water explode into the air and the teenage boy obsession with explosive devices.

Boys will be boys.

I agree id rather see young lads fishing the weirs than staying at home playing computer games, wandering the streets or doing drugs etc.. etc...Yes there is some risks involved with fishing from a flowing weir but taking perceived risks is part of growth and self development as a young bloke and nowdays i beleive we try and wrap things up in cotton wool a little too much......

Wise words fishsmith I totally agree.

i agree fishsmith. As an example, even though my cousin died on the Weir school dam (Black I think), did it keep us away from the dams?? no. Of course I was a lot more bloody careful, but flooding or not, we were down there swinging off ropes, fishing, swimming, bike riding, etc. I lived fairly close by (couple of kms away), so it was a regular haunt.
    I think parents these days are worred about their kids getting dirty or something. I live right on a park and rarely see kids playing in it (even though there are heaps in the area). Times are changing.

THe reason for a closed season is to protect breeding fish.

The Barra & jacks in Aplins & Black are not breeders, nor can they breed unless they go over the wall.

The fish up there are stocked and, coming from someone involved in alot of fish stocking, it would be hoped that these fish dont go over the wall to join breeding populations. Anyway, I'll leave that stance to the Twin Cities FSA to decide.

The facts are that the closed season is still valid for those weirs, but probably should not be.
    I personally dont see a problem with anyone fishing for whatever they catch "above" the weirs & if they land a barra they should release it ASAP.
    Only a few hours till the fickoff now so I guess this topic is dead until next summer.

Cheers,

fitzy..

BTW- I was up there not long ago & actually went for a flick for a few archers up towards the dam. Barra didnt enter my mind as I only took a little light rod with me & I've caught lots a barra before, but not lotsa archers.
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by fishsmith
    Paying for a SIP to fish this section would greatly enhance funding for Townsville/Thurongowa fish stocking assc to continue its excellent work by way of stocking this impoundment. ..
    Yep, the stocking group do a great job, however I cannot see weirs ever getting added to the SIP Scheme. It was never the intent of that system to cover weirs.

I believe it should be a catch and release only fishery so as to allow these fish to go over the weirs and eventually into Cleveland bay when we do get a flow
    We've tried to set-up C&R only stocked dams before. SPI&F jumped all over us for even suggesting it. To set-up a C&R only location would take a re-wording of the fisheries Act & as such, as the Act stands, is not permitted. Good luck.................................

Cheers,

fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au