Thread: moogerah camping/fishing easter

moogerah camping/fishing easter

Hi there guys and gals,
    Myself and a motley horde of family are intending a trip to moogerah for easter this year and i've heard a few bits of scuttlebutt regarding water levels and access to the dam.
    I've heard that people(Skiers) have been turfed out of the dam with the water levels so low. Now this would not normally be that dissappointing to me, but some of family were keen on having a tube about in the open parts of the dam.
    As for myself, I just want to fish from my boat over in the sticks and along the creek bed for whatever is on offer. So naturally trying to please everybody we chose moogerah because of its central proximty to NthNSW and SE QLD. nice and central for everyone and petrol motors & skiing allowed!

this would all come undone if we're denied access to the water in the boats.
    Has anyone any info to confirm or deny this rumour of dam closure?or reduced access?
    If this is the case then are there any other Dam options in the vicinity of SE QLD with similar issues?

thanks, roo.

scotty

Re: moogerah camping/fishing easter

mate moogerah has great campin access on the water the rule with mogerah is that when it is under 15% it is limited to 10 skie boats fishing is ussally good and the water level is at a 11$ camping cost 17 dollarsa night per tent up to 6 ppl thats all i can tell you if u cant skie there drive 20km downthe road to maroon dam currenttly at 20%and very open dam

cheers

scotty

Thanks Scotty, I'll have a look at maroon as i'd imagine moogerah would be popular spot for easter.

Cheers, Roo

better fishing at maroon too

over easter moogerah will be very busy. I was there last easter, there were camps all along the shore of the dam and around the headland to the back.

It was so rough on the water, you could only really tube or unless you are a hardcore skier.

Last year the water level was around 9-10%.

I sent a request to the caravan park web site re: water levels and skiing at easter. The reply was "there were about a thousand skiers here last year"

very popular it seems

I understand there is no camping on the dam at maroon. Is there anywhere nearby.....other than the usual caravan park sites. Normally camp in National parks so am fairly self sufficient. just need a long drop dunny and we can make a comfortable camp anywhere. I don't mind caravan parks except when they charge $20 a night per couple for an unpowered site and put you right next to the septic tank overflow on the most uneven ground in the park.

Cheers, Roo

scotty

yer around the otherside of the dam called camp pointro not bad has toilets and showers 6km pats the turnoff

scotty

I was at Moogerah not long ago and it was easy to get the boat in so long as you lifted the electric fence off the ramp.

You can fish amongst the sticks if you like but leave the boat on the trailer and fish over the side. Don't know how you will go though because they are/were high and dry.

I work in Boonah every couple of weeks and the locals tell me that hundreds of fish in Moogerah went belly up not that long ago.

After all that I also hear that they have had lots of rain since I was there.

Phil