Thread: Brisbane River around Fernvale

Brisbane River around Fernvale

I am keen to have a crack at the waters around fernvale. I have sighted large schools of gar and mullet some years ago and wondered if bass would be worth targeting in this area.

Re: Brisbane River around Fernvale

Have heard of a few bass coming from this area. Havent caught any there myself, though I've never tried. Caught some huge lungfish there one day and boy do they put up a fight. They were as long as my boat was wide.

There are bass in there, tho rarely alot & just as rare to see big bass like some of the rivers in NSW produce.
    All the bass in there are stocked either directly into the river or escape from Wivenhoe just upstream, they cannot migrate upstream past Mt Crosby weir.
    If you want big bass go to Somerset or Wivenhoe Dam, if you want numbers, go to Maroon Dam. If you want serenity in a canoe with the chance of the odd fish, go hit the Brissy Riba up around Fernvale.

Cheers,

fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

It's nice looking water, stupid Mt Crosby wier >

I've caught some nice mullet a long time ago at an access point off the Ipswich to Esk road (Brisbane Valley Hwy). Caught them just below a set of rapids on nigger gear using the fine green hair-like weed (Spirogyra)that grows in the freshwater ponds. I could see them in the water below the rapids feeding on the algae on the rocks just like niggers do so I grabbed a bit of weed from the pools bordering the river and tried it. Worked like a charm! Was a very enjoyable session. Before it was banned you used to be able to catch heaps of mullet using worm baits below Somerset Dam wall when they released the water. It was like fishing in a thunderstorm but the mullet would hit the baits like tailor in a feeding frenzy. Heaps of fun
    Cheers Freeeedom

The_Walrus

A canoe/fishing trip form Wivenhoe to twin bridges is a great way to spend the weekend.

Need at least 2 cars to do a shuttle between launch and retrieve points.

If you don't like camping, make your first day from Wivenhoe to Cholo and spend the night there. The local pub puts on a great Sat night nosh up (last time I did the trip).

Luc

That sounds like a great trip - must give that a go
    Cheers Freeeedom

Yep, I have always wanted to do something like that, never heard of cholo tho. do you mean kholo? that seems like a long way for one day, but I've never attempted this sort of trip before, and it would be all downstream.

The upper reaches of the Brissy river are a top way to chill out. Thanks for your posts regarding fishing in this area. I as reading the post on fresh water mullet with sweating palms as I have a 5# fly and enjoy this type of fishing . Great to here that the lacal population of lung fish are doing well.
    Even though the bass are few and far between catching one would be a bonus while fishing this area.
    Question, has any one had a crack at the fresh water gar around there. If so how and what size do they grow to.
    I have enough gear to stock a tackle shop, and as I mentioned earlier I also engage in some WWW (WAND,WAVING,WANKING) so even the humbe gar could make for good day out.
    Thanks for your replies.
    PS. If you spot anyone littering in these areas put the grubs in or tap them on the head, which ever is easiest.
    Cheers
    Wobbygone

Yeah, quite a bit of rubbish around the river up there, pretty sad. >

The_Walrus

Whooops, Kholo is usually the end of the trip and a long one at that.

I meant to say Lowood.

From Wivenhoe to twin bridges the river makes a big loop. So doing a car shuffle from the Wivenhoe commons to twin bridges does'nt take long. But to do it in one day by river including fishing makes for a long trip with more paddling than fishing.

Luc

I'v seen Gar down Kholo around 15cm or so, right near the bridge on the right hand side. Stand on the big rock and just cast close to the edge of the other rocks and they come up. I was just using bread getting the small banded grunter for sharking and they were having a go.

if u have a kayak or canoe nd can fish well id say give it a crack ive personally caught a 39cm bass on 4lb mono but saying that lost alot more fish too so id reccomend at least 8lb

Here's some motivation for bass fishing in the mid Brisbane River

First bass this season

Another

From a Pack Angler Canoe

Near Fernvale

Upstream of Kholo Bridge
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au