Thread: Boondooma Dam Yella's???

Boondooma Dam Yella's???

hi all,
    went to boondooma dam a couple of weeks ago and had great success on trolling jackalls. trolling between the second and third marker bouy in the main basin. we were camping there for three days and over the days i found that the morning and afternoon sessions were best. when trolling the jackalls i let alot of line out so that they could get down to where the fish were. this was very successfull and by the end of the trip i had caught 70 bass, all of the legal limit of 30cm.

although we had great success on the bass we could not get catch a yellow belly. we tried trolling the points and rocky banks with some deep diving lures.

could anyone give me some hints on how to catch these yellow belly.

Re: Boondooma Dam Yella's???

havent been to boondoomba but have caught most of my yellabelly casting at points or rocky ledges

cast in and amonst trees/snags with snagless rigs such as snagless soft plastics or spinerbaits, you will catch cod doing this also

have caught far more fish casting rather than trolling, i think its because they can be a lazy fish and you can annoy them into a strike by casting up to 10 times in one area(yella and cod)

where abouts do you go to catch your yellow belly?

Glenlyon Dam is the best fishing i have found for yellowbelly because their are no bass in there to compete with

Borumba Dam also have good stocks of yellas but you also have bass, in borumba i target the trees in the deeper water for yellas, thats not to say they arent around points and ledges i just found more numbers around larger trees in deeper water

In the cooler months they can go deeper, dont be afraid to fish deeper than you normally would (around snags)

thanks for that info, i will have to go glenlyon for a trip maybe .

what is your favourite lure for em.

how are you bass buster,just got back from boondooma ,fished the bassin qld comp,heaps of yellas caught most on the weed edges all over the dam.casting spinnerbaits and jackalls were the main lures.up the boyne arm was most productive with one yella going 580mm.hope this helps cheers ps wish i had the luck you had on the bass.

what do you mean luck with the bass, that was all skill

same as warrior says mate spinerbaits my fave nice and heavy to cast swim on the way down and jackalls second fave

if you get some spinerbaits get a few different colours like white,green,black and if one dosent work try another

Bassman and Vortex my faves

Good Luck

Dan