Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your favourite freshwater line

Re: Your favourite freshwater line

Fire line is the pick for me but recently got smashed up by mary river cod at Imbil twice

now if fishing snaggy territory i use fire line XDS, it rubs over snags and rocks a lot better because its smoother

Used to use maxima exclusively, but made the switch to Fireline only a month ago, 30lb on my Stella and 20lb on my Stradic. Use Vanish Transition (20lb) as a trace but might go back to normal Vanish when I've finished the spool. I cant't believe I've left it so long to make the switch to Gelspun lines. Should of done it years ago.

Daniel.

As far as mono I would say Tectan Premium Plus,
    Braid PowerPro.

fins prt is good stuff
    really good on knots strength cos its "waxy" and compacts great to make the knot small really small diameter too

cheers
    jim

WHITTO

G'Day All I agree with jimbolikes_barra, Fins works well I generally finish off the leader knot with a drop of superglue just for a bit of insurance, Cheers Whitto

For Bass I like either 4 or 6lb fireline with 8 or 10lb vanish leader.

Murray

Yeah me too. Fire line all day every day. 4lb, 6lb, 8lb and 10lb. Vanish leader only. Tried nitlon in a couple of different breaking strains and found not reliable at the knots and sometimes in the middle of nowhere. Nitlon Never Again. Fireline opened up a whole new dimension in trolling to lures i'd had and used for years due to thin dia. hence reduced drag through the water enabling greater depth.
    Just my thoughts??

YGK Jigman-X8 50 and 80lb braid for baitcasters and lure fishing. I have used it for several years now for both lure fishing and in the commercial spanish mackerel fishery. I cannot fault it in any way, and I have a very good ability to find faults in many items of fishing gear. It has never let me down or left me stranded or destroyed my confidence in it with any worrying or nervous thoughts. We fish the line in a heavy way, so it does get a proper test. Knot strength, suppleness, durability etc are all well and truely of a high standard. It is also colour coded every 10 metres which does come in handy in certain applications. For a baitcaster used in heavy handed ways, the Jigman is a very good choice for many reasons. The 'thumbs up' from me.

As for mono, Maxima was always high on the list in my books in 20 to 25 lb.
    The platypus pretest was an IGFA tested line used for game fishing , it has a high stretch factor,,,,for obvious reasons, and it has a select use that does not suit all types of fishing. I used it for spanish for years, no problems, but a few years have passed since I have used the pretested platypus, so I can't comment on its quality in 2006. Many items of fishing tackle have reduced majorly in quality over the years.
    Lines certainly need close scrutiny before use, and any new line needs a few tests before you even hit the water. Some lines do not handle the same knot types as other lines. Once again, buy a set of scales and become familiar with knot strength results etc. Results often suprise you!!
    Johnny M