Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite freshwater line

Your favourite freshwater line

Fishing Line. Any respectable fishermen will tell you it is a HUGE part of your itinerary when it comes to landing fish, but what manufacturer produces the goods? Fireline? Suffix? Maxima? Or maybe to some of you it doesnt matter what brand you fish with? And aswell as what manufacturer, what attributes does it have that you admire? Strength? Memory? Visibility?. Im sure this will get you out from under your rocks and talking!

I have fished with many different brands of fishing line, and there are litterally hundreds of brands out there. But for me, Platypus takes the honours. The good old Platypus Super 100, the worlds thinest diameter line (so it says, that i really cant beleive, but i still use it on all my reels), and also it has virtually no visibility under water, silky smooth casting and hardy knots. And the smooth Platyous Platinum, which i find to be quite a nice trace line, super smooth and superior knotting.

(Platypus for me produces some high quality lines, and i dont want to do them any dis-service when i say this, but it is true. I have fished with their Pre-test, and i can tell you it is an extremely poor line. Poor knotting, high visiblity in the water, bad tangles, and the testing they put it through, what was the idea with that? A very poor line for me.)

Anyway Fishermen tend to always do their own thing on the water, and on land. But this will give me and quite a few of us a insight into the world of lines and personal opinion. And please if you have any stories, let rip!, im only too glad to sit back and read.

Let rip people! Cheers.

TinarooTriumph
    TT

Re: Your favourite freshwater line

Good topic TT.

I'm into the plastics and I always use a trace of Vanish fluorocarbon that I previously purchased on 10 m spools. #At the BCF shop in Capalaba, I recently purchased the same stuff on a 100m spool and I guess that some fisherfolk must use the fluorocarbon as their main line. #This stuff is absolutely invisible in the water and I am guessing that "better" that your bog-common, nylon fishing line. #It is about 2 x the price, so I'm guessing that its "better"

Does anyone use it as main line?
    Neil

Whatever is cheapest, does the job. Never have any problems. 12lb & 15lb on alveys, 8lb and 10lb on eggbeaters

I like maxima its great, recently tried a different line and went back to the maxima it never has let me down.

The_Walrus

Lures - 12 & 20 lbs bionic braid with knotted dogs

Bait - 4kg platypus pretest with the appropriate leader.

Luc

I also use Vanish as a leader, but when you say line is invisible under water - How do you know?

I must try dipping my head in the water next time just to find out...

Phil

Ive heard only good things about Vanish, sounds like a good smooth line aswell. TropicalTrout ive also heard lots of good things about Maxima, with its strength and knotting, so i might give that ago barra fishing.

Luc- did the pre-test give you any hassles??? certainly did for me. really hate the stuff.
    TT

casting lures - 6 pound fireline with 10 pound vanish

trolling lures - 10 pound fireline with 14 pound vanish

cheers
    Raymond

Platypus super braid.......20 lb for the Kinchant barra.

The_Walrus

TT,

Never had any problems with the pretest.

I'd like to try some of their new 2lbs thickness super braid but it's hard to get & $$$$.

Luc

4lb fireline with 12lb nitlom leader stradic 1000 reel and black diamond rod 2-4kg line class.Great rig.

Fireline, 8lb on my stradic and 10lb on my baitcaster. And I've been using the Nitlon as leader in 10lb, and prefer it over the vanish. Better knot tying and knot strength for me.

4-10lb fire line for bass, golden perch

30lb platipus superbraid for the barra
    (handled a 25kg awoonga barra easily)

once caught a 21kg murray cod (46lbs) on 4kg (8.8lb) tortue mono line, he had me in and wrapped around snags for 15 minutes but still landed it

now basically just use braid

recently caught 15lb murray cod on 4lb fire line

'Feral' - I use to agree with that theory of cheapest stuff works when i was just starting out fishing. I use to fill my reels up with Pro-Hunter and Pucci, just cheap lines from where ever. But i decided to change when i inherited alot of money for my birthday, and brought afew roles of Platypus Super 100, and boy did i notice the difference.

Every line has their different level of attributes (Casting, Visibility, Knotting, Strength, Memory). Sure the cheap lines arnt bad at all, but when you step up to lines like Platypus, Trilene, Maxima, Suffix, the standard goes up. You will notice the difference straight away.

Looks like Fireline is the pic for most people eh? Ive fished with it, loved it. But $$$ are a problem.

TinarooTriumph
    TT