Thread: big mouth bass

big mouth bass

hey all

i'm curious if anyone has caught big mouth bass before? how does this bass fight compared to our aussie bass?
    10% of people catch 90% of the fish

Re: big mouth bass

I've caught Largemouth Bass in the states to about 3.5kg. They fight well, they may even pull a bit harder than our aussie bass (I suspect this is because they are generally larger). They even jump!

Hello fellas,

I've caught loads of them. Some of them fight pretty well and others seem to just give up and glide into shore. I've never caught one as big as yours the_real_fishcrazy, so I can't say how the bigguns fight. The largest I've ever landed was only about 17 inches. The fish you caught was a nice one for where I live (Chicago). The giants live out in California and Florida mostly. I once saw a pic of one that supposedly weighed around 20 pounds!

Some of the largemouths fight really well but if you want a hard battle from a bass, catch a smallmouth. No comparison. The smallmouths make you think you have a much larger fish on line than you do. They don't jump as much as the largemouths but they are crazy mad scrappers.

The bass that we have over here in the states that reminds me of your Australian bass is the whitebass. The shape is nearly the same. The color is very different though and the Australian bass seem to feed like largemouths. You don't catch whitebass on surface lures or large plastic worms for example. They mainly like fast, flashy minnow type lures. Silvery-white in-line spinners are best. Here's a pic showing a small white bass my Dad caught recently. See how similar the shape is to the Aussie bass?

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

Got a few in Florida a few years ago. They do all the right stuff, take lures and flies and jump. I don't think that they pull as hard as aussie bass on a pound for pound basis but you can generally expect them to be bigger on average anyway. They also hang around in some fairly tough country and most people fish a lot heavier for them than we would.

sounds like a lot of fun catching them.. i guess it beats catching them on PS2 yeh
    10% of people catch 90% of the fish

Definately!
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

Excellent fighting fish and great to eat. They often leap out of the water when hooked. Listed as a "noxious" fish in Australia, even though it's never been caught here. It's so popular in the USA that the government is concerned that it might somehow be introduced here.

I caught some in the southern US and I agree with d-man that they don't fight as hard as aussie bass on a pond for pound basis (although they still provide explosive stikes and exciting fights) but the ones that do go hard are striped bass - caught some small wild ones in coastal rivers new Brunswick Georgia and they fought great, they and the the white bass that el-carpo mentioned are in the same family as the Australian Bass (Percichthyidae) and teh European Sea-bass. Something I'm yet to catch but did spend some time trying to while in western Europe - image an aussie bass but coloured silver, living in marine environments and growuing to 20 lbs - they're pretty neat, stipers of course grow a lot bigger (up to a 100 lbs) - thet would be a mind blowing bass to be connected to!!

'Stick to fishing instead of fighting' - JC