Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accommodation at/near Awoonga

Accommodation at/near Awoonga

I am thinking of making my first trip to Awoonga in the near future (probably not the best time to go but hey anytime fishing beats work!) and was wondering if anyone could recommend a place to stay.

Thanks all

Mike

Re: Accommodation at/near Awoonga

G'day Mike

The Lake Awoonga Caravan Park has pretty reasonable facilities and has the added benefit of being right there, with cabins, bunkhouse, donga, van sites , and tent sites, powered and unpowered. http://www.lakeawoongacaravanpark.com.au/

But if you don't mind the 10 minute drive, you've also got Willowgrove at Benaraby which has pretty great facilities and is up for a major rehab over the next 18 months. www.willowgroveontheriver.com.au

Hope this helps!!

Geoff

Thanks Geoff both places look good

Thanks Geoff both places look good

I stayed at Willowgrove a few weeks ago, good facilities and minutes from the dam.

However watch out for the sandflies there if you are allergic to them. I still have the bites and the associated syptoms.

I was suprised too that they had crocodile warning signs in the river at the park there.

How far do these things go south?

Hope this helps

Macca

Thanks Macca - I bloody hate sandflies so I'll stock up on the rid.

You definitely can get crocs in Gladstone as that it the start of their range - they used to be found further south and in 1960's an 11 foot croc was shot in the Mary River (the one they want to dam) and you can see its skin at a museum in Bauple. I also read in the paper a while back about a croc that was shot in the Brisbane river in the early 1900's but I can't find the story on the web any more.

Cheers

Mike

Further to my earlier post here is a link to a picture of a croc shot in the Logan River in June 1905

http://catalogue.goldcoast.qld.gov.a...001-IMG0098-MR

Cheers

Have stayed twice at Awoonga in the last six weeks, both times they messed up our booking. Site booked not available once and had to stay on road. When we finally got there the site we booked a payed for, someone else moved onto and wouldnt move. This is typical, check once, twice and possibly third time and maybe them might get it right.
    Example a bloke next to me payed for four nights and had a small bus with boat which he launched each day at the ramp, upon returning to his site on the second night they had put someone else onto his site. Their solution to have them both on the same site. Being generous they gave him a 10 percent discount. They made 190 percent on that site for three nights.
    Make sure of the site number and get confirmation in writing from them would be my advice.
    The fishing was great last week and we caught lots of barra with three over the metre.
    Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Steve_Monckton

G'day Mylestom, WE used to live there once. The Awoonga Dam accomodation is great and well managed, just make sure u get their accomodation prices off their written price list available at the front counter before paying. It's great just to tow your boat afew hundred metres and launch to get into some GREAT fishin. Cheers.

hardb8

Hi Mike,
    # # # # # #I recommend the park,Being so close to the ramp is a major bonus as the reason ya there is ta fish,And this makes for more time on the water.I've heard of others having trouble with bookings on a few occassions but personally it's been good for me.I turn up,Pitch me tent,Fish,Shower,Sleep,Fish Shower,Sleep.Pack up me tent and go.The park is also a good spot for info on where to be,And what to be chuckin at em,As most fishos are happy to tell ya about their catches.Don't forget ya brown jocks.
    # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #Good luck # hardb8

G'day Mike,
    I'm a local Gladstonite and fish Lake Awoonga at every oppertunity and I could tell you a quite a few stories about the Caravan Park at Lake Awoonga but I think the guy's further up the list have covered it enough to give you the jist of it.
    Many locals are now camping at the Boynedale Bush Camp located along the Monto-Calliope Road, roughly 30km out from Calliope township.
    The BUSH CAMP is FREE and allows you to camp for seven days. It's a bit rough in that it hasn't a hot shower block but it has clean toilets, BBQ area, shade tree's, grassed area and boat launching is straight off a gentle slopping bank located nearby.
    Open fires are allowed as well as generators.
    Some of Awoonga's largest barra have come from this area in recent months.

Believe that the park is up for sale (lease that is from Gladston Area Water Board) The facilities ramp and water board areas are great. However the bookings (Double booking and sites booked not available) However can we do a deal for you attitude. Cleaning of showers and cleaning table need some attention. 3.30 PM some days before they are cleaned.

The area is great and the facilities outside the caravan park are A1.
    They have just done up the office and Bitumen on the first section of park as you drive in.

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Hi Geoff (gone_phishin),
    Sorry can not PM just yet, not enough posts I believe.

The Boynedale Bush Camp at Lake Awoonga is located approx 30km from Calliope.
    Drive 4km past Calliope, take the Monto Road turnoff and drive approx 26km where you will see a small sign on the left just off the road side with Boynedale Bush Camp.
    The camp area is approx 2km at end of unsealed road, lots of signs can't miss it.
    For quick reference, once you go over the second railway crossing on the Monto road, you are within 4km of the bush camp turnoff.
    The bankside boat launching facility being used at present is located about 500m north of the camping ground, go through the gate (open & close behind you) and look for the well worn track. You'll probally come across other users there any way.
    Hope this helps you out,
    John

Cheers John!!

Hope to catch you there at some stage in the future!

Geoff

Geoff,
    If you need any info on the bush camp at Lake Awoonga, please PM me and I'll post the reply here.
    I don't know how to post mud maps yet.

John