Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Accommodation at/near Awoonga

Re: Accommodation at/near Awoonga

bump

Geoff,
    Here is a mud map that I think should get you there without to much hassle.
    I got this from BnB Jan 06 edition by Griggsy.
    John

Cheers John!!!

I'm just wondering if there is a back road around the southern end from Miriam Vale? Would you have any idea?

Thanks again John.

Regards
    Geoff

Geoff ...Do you mean to the Dam ? Access to the dam is very limited There is a way in... kinda. its off the Bruce h/way as well ....its a long way in ...there is about six gates to open ...Have seen the odd camper there... You need a 4wd..You may get your marching orders if found.
    Kids need models, more than they need critics."
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand."
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

G'day Awoonga,

I guess I'm trying to see whether it is possible to get to the Bush Camp from the southern end of that road shown on the map that Barradise has posted.....up through Ubobo somewhere.....rather than me driving up past the dam to come back down again, from Bundy. Does that make sense?

Regards
    Geoff

G'day Geoff,
    There is a road across to Many Peaks from Bruce Hwy but I have never driven up it.
    I believe it may be dirt and narrow, I'd stick with the Bruce Hwy via Calliope if towing a boat or van without first checking it out or getting better advice???
    John.

Cheers John!

Geoff

darryl_l

Geoff,

Many Peaks road is a NO WAY idea trust me

Darryl L

I thought as much, the Monto to Many Peaks stretch of road is pretty ordinary as well.

Ok thanks all, I will stick to the long way round

Regards
    Geoff

If you stay at the caravan park at the lake is it safe to leave a charger and 12volt battery charging during the day unattended whilest out fishing or is there a pretty good chance some one would help themselves to it?

I've not heard of anything being stolen there, though we did have a full fuel drum go walking for a bit and turn up in the back of someones 4wd as they were leaving the park to go home.

Said he thought it was his mates' and there was a chance his mate had left it behind

Wasn't worth getting upset about and the guy was pretty embarrased, and it could have been genuine I guess

Geoff

Hi pointyfish,

There is no accounting for some peoples attitude in life, they can't help but take a liking for what others have.
    In any camp site, it is always prudent to keep your gear out of sight.
    These are sad times when we can't trust our fellow travellers but its usually only one bludger that can spoil a trip.
    Generally though, I think most people are honest, helpful and trustworthy but that's no reason to tempt fate.

John.

Geoff if you want to go to the Boyndale campsite come up the Bruce Highway to Calliope then head out on the Many Peaks road and when you go back continue along to Many Peaks road and about 6klm from Many Peaks take the Blackmans Gap road to Miriam Vale. When you leave the Many Peaks road it is good gravel to Miriam Vale, school buses us it so it is kept in good condition.
    The Many Peaks to Monto road is good gravel as well but there is a very steep section on the range which is sealed. I have come down the range towing a caravan without any problems.
    there is another road from Many Peaks to Bundy but I haven't used it so I can't be of any help.
    I'll see if I can attach a photo of the camping area.

Thanks Bros, the campsite looks excellent! We've decided we're going to do a day trip up there and check out all the roads for the hell of it.

Kind regards
    Geoff