Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Awoonga overload

Re: Awoonga overload

Hi guys as you have proberbly gathered Im one of the others , just a few things.I have been eating and serving Barra from lake Awoonga to many friends over the last 4 months and they have all loved it ,so for those who compare it to old boots maybe they need some cullinary lessons as we do eat at some very fine restraunts.
    Im not sure about the catch and release rules of the different comps up here but maybe the organisers could be encouraged to promote this.There will naturally be some deaths.We will deal with them as with any other situation at the time.
    With the boat ramp patience is truley a virtue as I have made many a good friend while waiting my turn.
    With the caravan park I believe the overbooking problems are still as bad as ever .Merv has been gone 3 months but his legacey lives on.
    The Kalinda cafe is up and running again also under new management and a great feed can be had quite cheap too.
    I will continue to go to the lake on a regular basis and enjoy each new event as it happens.Hope to catch you(even at the boat ramp

Plenty of other spots close to camp, would not bother staying at the Dam, still got to trailer boat, so the new cabins halfway back to the highway, or in Benaraby does me just fine.

This subject has been done to death, but there is something I would like to add.
    For the people who blame mag articles for the overcrowding of "their" fishing spots, here's something to ponder.

Awoonga dam has not had a crowd since the ABT BARRA in Novemeber. The main reason being the fishing has been less than average for most. Fish are being caught, but nothing spectacular.
    There is a number of contributing factors to the current form slump, including crazy weather patterns, the drought, and smarter fish.
    There has'nt been a single article in ANY magazine surface regarding the average fishing in the past few months, yet the past three full moons (historically the most crowded) has failed to produce anything resembling a crowd.

So how does everybody know?

The same way everybody finds out any other information.......word of mouth.
    Word of mouth travels way faster than any printer can.
    Cheers
    Jas
    Last edited by the_matrix; 05-02-2007 at 11:03 AM.

Next spot to boom will be Monduran i reakon. Hey all dams with water are nice dams according to me, barra are the bonus.

Jas would just like you to clarrify how one would take a barra of winning size alive to hookup . also hookup had only license to release barra into salt water which we did a lot of until hatchery put stop to it because of reasons of over stocking and differ of species but had no info to back it up . the hookup has more info on statistics on different fish than the fisherise probably do and have done a lot for fishing and business and community in the area than they are given credit for .
    If you or any body else has a positive idea to improve the hookup by all means let me know but dont bag it as you dont know half.

regards paul simmons

Paul,
    Firstly, I didnt bag the hookup. I totally support the concept, and yes it does wonders for the local area, as well as giving familys a great weekend.
    I purely stated the reasons why I personally dont fish the Barra section, and If you read the post, it says "each to their own".

Secondly, I never suggested to take fish live to the weigh in. Nowhere in Australia takes impoundment Barra to live weigh ins.
    What I suggested was brag matt measurements, accompanied by photographs, like the ABT does. (for the freshwater Barra at least). We know the Salties are good tucker.
    I also feel its unfair to have Dam Barra and wild fish in the same catagory. Thats a personal opinion.
    I dont support the killing of fish just for the sake of a few ooh's and ahh's. If you dont like my stance on that, too bad. I strongly believe in that.

I understand some people eat them,yep thats their choice, no probs there.
    The condition of the fish at completion makes me wonder, and I do know for a fact that most impoundment Barra end up the bin after a comp.
    Cheers
    Jas
    Last edited by the_matrix; 08-02-2007 at 11:44 AM.