Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your biggest Murray Cod

Your biggest Murray Cod

Gday all, i am off to do a spot of cod fishing soon and was just wondering what the biggest Murray Cod is that you have caught?

Where and how did you catch it?

My biggest is 46lb caught at glenlyon 97 on 4kg line bait fishing for yellowbelly.

Any pics would be good also

Cheers

Re: Your biggest Murray Cod

Gday,

Sounds heaps like a bloke I know, catching a cod like that.

Is this Ibbo out of Brisbane? Who used to do heaps of fishing with Dwayne?

Ibbo,

It's Eric. I cant PM you, so PM me your email address.

Later

Don't really know. I've taken two which would be around the 1 metre mark but never wieghed them. Let them both go. By the way, hi everyone. Might drop in from time to time.

this guy was 1 meter 34lb also from glenlyon dam.

Hi Fellow Cod chasers,

Have been chasing the old Cod for many years and have caught some beautiful fish, quite a few around the 1 metre mark, but on the 26/3/06 at 4 pm after some forty years of lureing and drowning bait I set a new bench mark and it set me back $600.00 a week later (will explain)

Some 5 weeks before the 26th I had sighted a large Cod beside a submerged log in about 1.5 metres of water at one of my local spots, I was on top of him before I realised, I flicked lures all around to no avail but noticed that the area around the log was free of weed compaired to similar stumps and structure, so I figured maybe this fish was living at this spot.

Over the next few weeks I carefully returned and peppered the stump and log with lures but nothing. then the very first cast on the 26th produced a big swirl behind the submerged log but no hook up, I then floated the lure over the log and started to retreve once more and the fish came under the log and took the lure almost on the surface producing a huge splash.

After the shock of seeing this I then realised I was using very light gear and was lucky that the fish took the lure on my side of the log and came out into clear water, anyhow to get to the point of this story, after nearly 30 mins of very carefully playing the fish, I was able to net it and with much difficulty get it into the boat to measure a magnificent Murray Cod of 125 cm nearly 4ft 2ins in the old scale. the fish was carefully returned to the water and swam away

Now to the $600.00, the good old Canon A1 SLR S*#T its self, no bloody picture > any how replaced it with a new Fuji digital, so back to hunting my big or bigger Cod.

Gear used:- Rod 6 pound 5ft 10ins Daiwa Heartland IM6. Reel:- modified Shimano Bantam 10XSG. Line 10ld Fireline, Leader 10ld Vanish. Lure locally made "Les Barlow" Yellow with red shading around the head.

Picture attached is a 75cm cod taken with new camera on Good Friday.

Good Fishing

The Goodoochaser
    All times wasted thats not spent fishing

Goodoochaser maybe this big cod is still living on the same log. Have you seen it since? Might still be able to get that pic

ibbo

I'm sure it is, I was carefull to release it back in the same spot.

Have been back several times but no luck yet, the cod in the picture I sent in was caught only 50 or so metres from the spot the large one was taken, I had just set myself up to drift past the log and had been trying a few casts to see if it was home when I caught the one in the picture.

You say you are off to do a spot of cod fishing and you mentioned Glenlyon, if that is where you are going reports are that quite a few good size cod are around at the moment, its one of my favorite dams being only 1 hours drive away, the weed is a bit of a problem at the moment. anyhow good fishing

Cheers

Goodoochaser

Some nice cod there!

i was chasing cod this week down in the rivers and found 1 lil fella living in a hollow log in the water after 5 chases i still missed him he went back up the log and wouldn't come out, i did managage 6 for the week all released, goodoochaser what area do you hale from

Hi Caveman

Ex Gold Coast, lived just outside Stanthorpe for the past 14 years. Do most of my fishing in Stormking dam, Glenlyon, Coolmunda and other local spots, have fished most of these waters for almost 40 years. watched the building of Glenlyon and fished the holes along Pike creek before the dam filled. Do a trip to Awoonga as often as I can and still fish the coast.

Goodoochaser.

scott_b

Gday
    Best cod was 117cm at Copeton on a lure , pic in the (show us your cod). Goodoochaser 125cm is a bloody great fish, done real good!!!.
    Mate and myself had a 2hr trip to Stormking in march 11am to 1pm while an auction was finishing , anyway my mate was lucky enough to lure a 112cm ,bloody more luck than management I think.
    wamjam

4ft fish that is a monster hope to see the pic soon. I thought the 600 was from a fine when I read it....

hi guys heres a nice photo of a 8 and a half pounder at glenlyon on a red and white plastic jig

cheers speckly

Steve_Monckton

My PB was caught in Copeton Dam a few years back and was measured by using my shimano Bass stick rod as a tape measure and put a tape on it when I got home. Approx 130cm long and 50cm deep. Big ,solid fish. got a pic but having trouble getting it to here. Will keep trying. Let it go as s##t to eat and I don't like killing cod anyway. Eat the Redfin!! Went to copeton at xmas 05. and fished Panther Rock (another story) and saw 2 BIG cod swimming around the rock, One was around 15kg and the other easily twice as big but would not touch a lure. Even bumped one on the head with the lure. Good cod dam and going to get even better.