Thread: ~ Top Bass lures ~

~ Top Bass lures ~

G'day folks,

Looking foward to getting my drivers licence in about 6-8 months time there abouts. Mates and i have planned a trip down to Tagoolawah/Esk area where my Uncle lives when i score my licence, so we can camp at his place and then fish Wivenhoe and Somerset while we are down there. In the past we have just used live shrimp for the bass, which worked well on a suicide hook and some 6lb line, reeled on a little Daiwa seires 3 reel sticking to a 7' Outermark Pro-Target rod. I still have the combos, and my mates have their combo's aswell, but we are just after some advise for luring bass. What works well in places like Somerset and Wivenhoe?. Spinnerbaits? Plastics? Crankbaits?.

I know very little with Bass and lures and have a small collection of lures ready to go for the trip, which consists of 3 Kokoda G-Vibes (which i use for Sooties in the rivers up here), a few packets of Squidgy Hot-tail plastics, a few packets of Berkley Gulp (all with light jigheads), and 2 Kokoda Spinnerbaits (Purple), further more i have quite a lot of Kokoda in my lure boxes. Any other lures that i should add to that list? Also what techniques would go well with the lures? Twitch and pause? Rip and reel? Any feedback would be very helpfull to me and mates.

I will include a pic or two of some of the lures i already have... just for the hell of it . I will name them accordingly. I just took the pic's not 5mins ago, and i could not include the Spinnerbaits and the Berkley Gulp range i have as my mate knicked off with them the other day as he is fishing the upper Mulgrave today and needed some stuff.

Cheers guys.

Theo
    TT

Re: ~ Top Bass lures ~

Row 1 = 2 Kokoda G-Vibes, then a Predatek Spaddler, then a Kokoda Fat-R.
    Row 2 = Kokoda Sprog, Then RMG Scorpion 65 (i think...), then a little unknown lure that has a really nice action.
    Row 3 = Plastics. Storm Shad, followed by a Squidgy Hot-tail with light weight Gamakatsu Jighead.

Enjoy.
    TT

Save yer bikkies and get a couple of Jackall Masks - make one a red-head and the other a natural colour.

Will do. Ive got two TN60's in Chameleon, so i will be taking them (along with a lure retriever, just incase!)

Theo
    TT

Hey theo,
    those look ok. I've had some success in the creeks around tweed with spinnerbaits and lightly weighted softplastics with a betts spin blade attached. In fact the last combo has been braining them in the upper reaches of late. allows you to adjust the weight of the jig head & colour of tails to suit the conditions, Plus generally cheaper than a complete spinnerbait.

Hey Orby,

Yer mate ive got a 3 or 4 bett spin's around here! they are abit old and a little rusty, but a quick leave in some coke should fix that. a few plastic grubs and a light jig head should do the trick...

Actually, i reckon i could make one of them, easy. Will get back to you's on that.

Theo
    TT

The beetlespins work great, and are fishable at varied depths. I tend to use paddle tail plastics like sliders/atomics rather than the wrigglers. Just a slow roll with the blades just ticking over usually does the trick, but also incorporate a few pauses and faster turns of the handle to mix it up. Jackals are great, I particularly like the mask vibes. They work well when fish are holding close to the bottom, you can hop them along the bottom and stay right in the zone due to their weight. Because of this they also cast like a bullet and you can cover a lot of ground. Hard bodies aren't as popular in the impoundments these days, but deeper divers come in handy for trolling if your having trouble finding fish or want a break from casting. Something like the Halco poltergeist in 3M+ work well, including the Kokoda med/deep divers. Sub surface minnows and poppers are also an option for the edges on and after dark. Good luck with it TT.

Looks like i will be definetely packing the beattle spinners! I will be trying to make a few 2moro morning, so with hope i might post some pic's.

Your right about the Jackall's there Tiges, they cast like a dream!

Will research more on some of the divers for the deeper water. I seem to have the shallow runners and crankbaits worked out, so will be looking at deep runners now.

Cheers.

Theo
    TT