Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats The Best Fresh Water Fish?

Re: Whats The Best Fresh Water Fish?

Tilapia! Pound for Pound fights better than Mundine.

Phil

Trout fishing in Tasmania's highland lakes is the best!. Nothing like catching a 5 lb rainbow or brownie on a lure or fly. But there is quite a bit of water between the fish!

bass r good. big carp are a handfull on light tackle and gives a good feeling that you are doing good for auzzie waterways by removing them!

davidmwebster

I always loved a good old South African Largemouth bass fished at night on topwater lures. Pound for pound VS Barra i think they are a lot more fun - dont get quite as huge tho....

Just has to be Bass

Whilst I aint caught a Barra of any size yet, they seem to be a bit finicky about biting sometimes
    And sooties pull hard but can be a bit unpredictable.
    And carp and tilipia are big but not always predictable.
    And trouties might like the location and catching a fish is a bonus.
    ANd I luv those yellas but they sometimes can be a bit lazy in the fight.
    And our cod are just the best fish that really make yer hair stand up.

BUt bassies, u can catch em on poppers, plastics, hard bodies, spinners, all types of lures. And any baits will work shrimps, worms even crickets, tadpoles and beetles.

U catch em in a creek, in a river, in a dam, early in the morning, high noon, late afternoon and all thru the nite.

And very rarely do you find a bassie not obliging to hit anything u throw at them. And very rarely do find they give in without a fight.

So if you are looking for the best allrounder - it has to be a bass and the best thing about the bass - they are Aussie thru and thru

Cheers
    Budgebass

What about a jack up in the fresh???

fad

Has to be barra .

Yellowbelly for the initial hit
    Barra for size
    Silver perch for a sustained fight
    Saratoga for their aerial displays
    but as an alrounder i rate aussie bass

G'day,

For me it would be either Trout or Bass, but having said that, have never caught a Barra so can't comment on them!
    Cheers

Dave

Pulling power its got to be Black Bass in PNG, or OZ's answer where you find them - freshwater jacks,.. but if marine vagrants cant be counted and we're only considering OZ- i'd put sooties and bass on an even pedastal (and perhaps tarpon a little higher?). If its the country your in to catch them - then its got to be Jungle Perch (or Macquarie Perch in the south) - if its the adrenalin - rush of the boofing strike followed by spectacular aerobatics and tasty fillets (non-uimpoundment fish) its got to be barra, low end tourque - murrary cod, attractiveness - golden perch out of a clear river...you did say favourite?? - too many fish, too little time, too many favourites!
    'Stick to fishing instead of fighting' - JC

No question about it for me, its the Murray Cod..... its such a big beautiful fish that takes patience, skill and knowhow to catch a good one........

I have spent many hours of my life walking up and down riverbanks over snags etc chasing them... i loved every minute.

2nd would be Yellow belly but i am yet to try the Barra up north!!

McCod is that Murray Cod in your pic? Just wondering coz it seems the bigger they grow they seem to get lighter and lighter in colour, is this true? I was reading the March Edition of Fishing Queensland Monthly and there is an article about the sudden down pour of rain killing the cod this is a surprise to me I would have thought they would welcome the fresh but I also noticed the colour of the fish almost completely white why is this can anyone explain? Is this their natural colour after their size expands, if anyone would give up the info I would greatly appreciate it. I know it may sound stupid asking htis Question but I'm relatively new to the fresh scene, Please Help!!!

murray cod or barra. barra are great but there is something about catching a greasy green bull that brightens up my day

Salmon fishing in Alaska.........................although trout fishing anywhere comes close.

Cheers
    "This space is saved for my next special catch"
    "Rainy" Haines Hunter 540C Yamaha 130 HPDI
    28lb King Salmon
    18lb Steelhead (Rainbow) Trout
    12lb Brown Trout
    6.5lb Brook Trout
    12lb Murry Cod
    6'+ Bronze Whaler Shark

Ill throw in a differant 1, the mary river cod, are on the endangered species list, so dont target them, but have caught a few incidently in spot x (also get bass, silver, yellas, etc) hard and dirty fighters and go like the clappers. my biggest is 68cm but cant find the photo i think my aunty borrowed it to paint the fish
    cheers