Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lenthalls Dam. What are your prefered fish??

Lenthalls Dam. What are your prefered fish??

I've heard some debate of late as to what sort of fishery most people want from Lenthalls Dam (Lake Lenthall).
    Please pick your prefered option (you may choose multiples if that suits you better).
    While Saratoga arent currently stocked there, I've added an extra option for those who would like to see them in this lake.

Any other comments you would like to post will make interesting reading I'm sure.

For those who dont know of Lenthalls Dam or havent yet fished it, here's a little info:
    http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Lenthall.htm

Cheers,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Re: Lenthalls Dam. What are your prefered fish??

Fitz,
    If they stocked anything other than barra (or toga) in there I wouldn't tick them for my sip allocation. I'd tolerate the bass stocking too. But for my money I want to see barra in there.

Voltz

hey fitzy what about barra, jacks and bass

Barra for me. There are plenty of Bass lakes around but we need more Barra close to Brisneyland. 'toga would be great too. One of the prettiest dams around, that is really taking off as a Barra fishery, more powr to the stocking group I say, for having the foresight to stock Barra. If Awoonga is anything to go by, Lenthall's will be an awesome spot in a couple of years. They get some of my tick on the SIP application.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

I just spent the weekend there and we caught 5 nice bass, 2 legal, the other 3 were over 20 but under 30, biggest went 37 which put a big smile on my brothers face seeing as he'd lost a good lure the day before to something pretty big, it fought like mad for about 30 seconds then managed to tie the line around a snag, the tackle back was no use, bye bye fish and bye bye tn50. We also spoke to people there and they have caught barra there... I'd drive there again from brisbane to fish for anything, infact, i think all the above fish bar the toga are already in the dam is that right?
    simon

The ocean is the ultimate solution - Frank Zappa

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq9/slyman71/

Basser, you're dead right mate. We need more barra dams closer to the population. Can you imagine the niche market they could create through this spectacular dam, so close to Brisbane, where you can reliably get good barra. My answer is simple, more barra, a heap of toga and some bass to fill in the gaps.

Bolter.

Bugger the Bass off, Barra are the go here and in other SE Qld dams for that matter.

I`d like to see the Bass stocking in Lenthals cease and funds directed to purchasing Barra fingerlings.

And BTW.....if you go to lenthals, please pay attention to the 6 knot limit on the dam.

Randall.

keep the bass, they are good for someone wanting a feed as well as sport, but up the barra stocking. My last 2 trips there in the warmer weather it was a no brainer to target the barra , they are a heap more fun, even though I love bass fishing at home.
    Also ban professional netting of barra in the Queensland rivers to give the stocks a chance to come back so we have river and dam fishing.

It gets pretty cold around lenthalls in winter. #Not sure how the barra action would stack up??? #

In any case, the barra in there are getting big and will start munching on the bass soon enough due to the lack of bony bream in the dam.

I'm with Voltzy wouldn't tick the dam on the SIPS if it didn't have Barra put up with the Bass in the place but there are plenty of Bass dams closer to Brisbane anyhow.

Regards,

Steve BOMBER Brown

Here's my opinion.

Lenthalls was/is the best impoundment bass fishery in Australia.

Gambling that for a barra fishery that could turnout to be anything from brilliant to mediocre (with mature barra taking the plentiful opportunities to migrate downstream) is ridiculous. Especially since I'm pretty sure that the scientific literature suggests that they won't co-exixt.

There's two of the best impoundment barra fisheries just up the road (Awoonga and Monduran). Not wanting to drive an extra hour or two isn't a good reason to gamble the fishery IMHO.

Cheers,

SM

This could get ugly.... > Any fishery that takes a bit of heat of Awoonga is good .Steve they seem to get along fine at Monduran together Now what l really want to see is Bass in Awoonga not just fingerlings put in there either Big fat Bass .... So this is what we do .... Remove the bass from Lenthalls, and Big W put them in Awoonga
    Kids need models, more than they need critics."
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand."
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Leave it as a Bass and Toga' fishery and add to that e.g. slowly keep stocking it with Silver Perch, Golden Perch etc etc. If you ask me the dam is doing very well, and is over looked too much to Bass fisheries like Somerset and Cania.

If you were to stock Barra into Lenthalls, you couldnt go over the top like they do at Awoonga and drive truckloads of Barra fingerlings into the water. You'd have to keep the barra 'Low Key' in Lenthalls. Sure, put a few in and see how they go, but dont go over the top. And if they thrive, they thrive! Keep numbers at the same level

But if you want Barra and nothing more then Barra then drive the extra our or two up the road i say to Monduran and Awoonga. Dont crowd Lenthalls chasing Barra... the dams too good for that.

Theo
    TT

I would like to see barra take the Lion's share of the SIP allocation in Lenthalls.
    Reasons are simple.
    I drive past bass to catch barra every time i go chasing barra , bass are just not interesting enough for me to bother chasing them.I spend money and time to chase barra year round and will continue to in the future so another world class barra fishery in SEQ gets my vote,selfish vote it is but that is votes are for.
    There are more than enough bass dams in SEQ but only a few real barra dams at the moment that are within range of Brisbane for a weekend fish,bring on Lenthalls as a barra fishery i say.

Birdy

Hi Guys, reading some of your posts it looks like there’s a little confusion about the Lenthalls fishery; I’ll go through and point out the most obvious ones.

Randall, speed limit on Lenthalls is actually 4 knots. Also note that the water level is getting down and more timber is being exposed and some just under the water level.

danos, I’m not to sure about the lack of bony bream in the dam. There’s also gar in reasonable numbers.

Theo, the DPI won’t allow us to stock Toga in Lenthalls even though Toga are in there in small numbers. They believe that Toga will interfere with the ECO-System of the Burrum River.
    In my opinion if the DPI won’t allow us to stock Toga because they are not indigenous to the Burrum, why are they allowing us to stock Silvers and Goldens when they also are not indigenous to the Burrum? > > >

For everyone’s information,
    Yellow Belly First stocked 92 Last stocked 04 Total released 184000
    Silver Perch First stocked 92 Last stocked 00 Total released 92500
    Aust Bass First stocked 91 Last stocked 05 Total released 402000
    Barra First stocked 97 Last stocked 05 Total released 40886

Regards Dan