Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lenthalls Dam. What are your prefered fish??

Re: Lenthalls Dam. What are your prefered fish??

If caloundra city council and the freshwater department of the primary industry could take off their foggy glasses they could create a barra fishery on brissy's doorstep at ewen maddock dam .I have video footage of barra stocked in ewen maddock by 'others' . #Lenthall's was an excellant bass fishery but has turned into an excellant mixed fishery. People who target barra catch them & likewise with bass. I strongly beleive that if you want to comment #about a fishery you should join the fishstocking club and use your vote to decide on the fishery . I would like to hear what long term plan their committee has. I go to lenthall's to catch barra these days but I wouldnt want to lose the bass surface fishing.

I'm with Voltzy

If it didnt have barra in it I would consider NOT ticking my sips permit for it.

If I wanted to catch goldens ,or indeed be lucky enough to catch a silver I would plan a trip out west and target them in the rivers, or go down south.

This is great opportunity to keep what is already a great COMBINED fishery ticking over.

Keep going with what you are doing and KEEP THE BARRA GOING IN!

I've sais this before elsewhere and i'll say it again here.

I live in Sydney.

80mins in a plane
    45 mins in a car and we are on to barra. Fantastic

Keep up the Barra stocking, at a growth rate quoted from the Lenthalls stocking association of 2mm per day in 18months to 2 years it will be a fishery capable of meeting awoonga sized fish.

Excellent

Barra and Bass, Just look at Monduran, its the best setup around. Facilities are great at the Caravan Park and the opportunity to catch both species.
    We just finished a trip north and fished 7 impoundments. Did we go to any bass only impoundments no. Plenty available in the south. If you want to get part of the southern tourist dollars, The bass and barra trail and like publication help.
    Good luck to the stocking association. Yes have put my vote in the poll for Bass and Barra stocking.
    Good luck to the local stocking association. Doing a great job and generating a lot of interest with these chats.
    The more that look and comment the better.
    Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

They wont let you stock Toga' into Lenthalls... probably due to the price of fingerlings im guessing? . They are on the dear side, and Toga' are a species that wont evolve as quick as others. But they are worth it, for sure. They are popular amongst anglers, and are a joy to fight.

Honestly guys, if you want a Barra fishery, get on your bloody bike/behind the wheel and drive an extra 1 or 2 hrs up the road. Dont go throwing Barra into a dam like Lenthalls which at the moment is thriving, and expect you to be the only one fishing there for them. As soon as those fish get reasonable size, you will have the whole of SEQ there on the water.

I dont care about you guys going on about how far it is to travel blah blah blah. And i dont care about you guys catching barra, i only care about the dam itself. As i said, get on your bike and head up the road to Monduran and Awoonga. Dont go and crowd a fabulous fishery like Lenthalls...

Theo
    TT

Plenty of great spots to fish for Bass a lot closer to Brissie so wouldn't drive there for anything but barra for quits.

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by TinarooTriumph
    They wont let you stock Toga' into Lenthalls... probably due to the price of fingerlings im guessing? # . They are on the dear side, and Toga' are a species that wont evolve as quick as others. But they are worth it, for sure. They are popular amongst anglers, and are a joy to fight.

Honestly guys, if you want a Barra fishery, get on your bloody bike/behind the wheel and drive an extra 1 or 2 hrs up the road. Dont go throwing Barra into a dam like Lenthalls which at the moment is thriving, and expect you to be the only one fishing there for them. As soon as those fish get reasonable size, you will have the whole of SEQ there on the water.

I dont care about you guys going on about how far it is to travel blah blah blah. And i dont care about you guys catching barra, i only care about the dam itself. As i said, get on your bike and head up the road to Monduran and Awoonga. Dont go and crowd a fabulous fishery like Lenthalls...

Theo
    already Barra in Lenthalls with plenty getting caught.

The question that I keep hearing is, what is/or what should be the drawcard for this lake?

Cheers,

fitz..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Triumph, this is for you.I got my first barra, and my first barra on fly at Lenthalls. It has a special place in my heart #and i have to agree it is a special place, Sydney just fell away within 2hrs on the dam. Full marks to the stocking association who have been working so hard on making Lenthalls spectacular.

I'll be going back there one day and again and again. #If i want to fish for Bass i go the Napean or some of the lakes here in NSW but if Lenthalls carries on the way it is now it will become even better and will give some of the other impoundments a run for the money.

Keep up the Barra stocking, keep up with C&R, keep up with good fish handling techniques. Lenthalls stocking Assoc keep up the good work!

Fitz, the Answer is easy. Lotsa barra in the best Lake.

Dan, I stand corrected mate on the speed limit!!

Theo, Too late mate, Barra already thriving in lenthals. Some go over the wall as do some Bass as well as evidenced by the good Bass fishing downstream.

As far as I`m concerned, and about 30 or so of my fishing associates who fish Lenthals, Barra is the attraction here, not Bass. Bass really only cater for the competition scene. There`s plenty more Bass stocked surface fisheries elsewhere. Barra cater for the swelling majority of anglers who just enjoy the thrill of Barra fishing. Lenthals is the southern most dam where the Barra are thriving. Some said they would not co-exist with Bass but this has proven to be very inacurate as evidenced by their co-existance here in Lenthals and Monduran for that matter.

My SIP money and tick goes to Lenthals as long as Barra go in here.

Randall.

Attn Lonk.
    Nice barra on fly champion.
    I can;t make out the fly that coaxed the barra in to eating it.
    What sort/pattern is it.???
    Where can i get some from.???
    Cheers Big George

WHITTO

Fitzy, I can tell u I don't head to Lenthalls for the Bass, Somerset keeps me more than happy in that department all year round, I say Barra as your primary for Lenthalls, Cheers Whitto

I already knew there were Barra in Lenthalls, ive known that since the day they were first released into the dam!. But everyone in and around the district would prefer to catch most of the Barra down there in and Awoonga eh? There are a lot of people i know that fish in Lenthalls for Barra, and they do very well. The point im trying to make is DONT add to the numbers of Barra there! Keep them at a sound population!. Dont go and overload the dam full of fingerlings, as their will then be a huge number of people on the water.

What do you guys fish for in Lenthalls at the moment anyway? Bass? Perch? Toga'? Barra? I bet the the majority would be Bass and Toga', so keep it that way!. Let the Barra stay, but keep them at a sound level.

Theo
    TT

Quote Originally Posted by TinarooTriumph
    I already knew there were Barra in Lenthalls, ive known that since the day they were first released into the dam!. But everyone in and around the district would prefer to catch most of the Barra down there in and Awoonga eh? There are a lot of people i know that fish in Lenthalls for Barra, and they do very well. The point im trying to make is DONT add to the numbers of Barra there! Keep them at a sound population!. Dont go and overload the dam full of fingerlings, as their will then be a huge number of people on the water.

What do you guys fish for in Lenthalls at the moment anyway? Bass? Perch? Toga'? Barra? I bet the the majority would be Bass and Toga', so keep it that way!. Let the Barra stay, but keep them at a sound level.

Theo
    Eeerrrr sorry Theo, but you'll find most are after Barra and enjoying a reasonable amount of success. The main consideration is how many to stock to maintain high growth rates. Also I'm not sure if you're aware of it but the dam wall is going to be raised which will make both the bass and barra harder to find.

Bring on the barra stocking so we can continue to move into a sustainable future in Hervey Bay. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Yep, keep the Barra stocking up. Keep stocking whats in their now up. Though if you over-crowd it with Barra, its good bye Lenthalls.

Thats news to me about the wall been raised. By how much does anyone know? Then i will sit down and math it all out...

Theo
    TT