Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awonga softies

Denis_K

Awonga softies

Are softies a real option on Barra in Awonga? My mate and I are there for a couple of weeks and would like some feedback from any body that has had some experiences with them you may be able to share some knowledge on colours types techniques locations times that sort of thing.

Cheers

Re: Awonga softies

Hy Denis

I didn't do them justice but green 100mm? slickrigs were recommended also drop bear squidgies

Mate caught some catties but I just stuck with my "bleeding mullett" arafura's

Cheers

Sy

Dont know about Awoonga, but they worked fine at Peter Faust dam last year for metre plus fish. Silver and black 100 mm size in Squidgies or Kokoda , apparently the Drop Bear Squidgie Slick Rigs (White and Pink) have been doing well.
    They can be used in the snags, but are more suited to open water. Amongst the sticks the floating ability of a hard body is more effective, (Bombers, barra baits etc) make sure you keep the retrieve real slow with lots of slow twitches stops and starts. Its hard to work the lure slowly when you are excited!
    Robert

Large Green Storm Shads seem to be the go at Awoonga of late I've read... The Drop Bear Squidgy Slickrig is a good option for any Barra Impoundment. Id definetely be looking at some 100mm + size Slickrigs (If they get any bigger???).

TT
    TT

Yes Slick rigs...Drop bears.... Weed beds......Get the picture #
    Kids need models, more than they need critics."
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand."
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

have been using the 110mm slick rigs in the blue and the white w/ pink lately on the weedbeds.. seems pretty popular.. look for the warm water.

Ive heard that slick rigs are going great guns and Ive also heard and seen recently a new leader that just dont get busted up in the snags or on those big girls gill rackers.

Cheers
    James

James have seen that leader too.. But the fishes well being needs to be taken into account as well...Not just the fisherman The thinner the line the more it cuts into the flesh...Just like fishing line cuts into your fingers...l only had a brief look at the leader ...Barra are large fish and they pull quite well Its a case of wait and see....untill l use one or fish with someone that uses them l will not pass judgement on them...Trevor
    Kids need models, more than they need critics."
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand."
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Hey mate
    I herd the squidgy slick rigs work for barra around the weed beds

T-roy

Dennis,
    Squidgy slick rigs in 110mm work very well on impoundment barra at Awoonga and other impoundments (and a heap of other fish).
    Any colour works mate, Ive caught fish on all the colours, however I like using dull colours in clear water.
    Ive been using them at Awoonga for about 5 months now. They work in all area's of the dam not just weed beds. Open shallow bays, deep drop offs, timbered structure and shallow points. You may need to change or modify the jig heads if fishing shallow area's.
    Use the 80mm jig heads in the 110 body if fishing shallow, or trim down and file your 110mm jig heads (which is what I do)

Tinaroo Triumph, there is some 170mm slick rigs coming out soon, they will be released at the trade show next weekend.
    All new colours and patterns as well for the full range of slick rigs for all you colour hounds.

Just remember TT, bigger doesnt always mean better. Ive trialled a HEAP of plastics, all brands and sizes, and by far and away the most success Ive had has been with 110mm slickies.

Slow rolling them is all thats required Dennis, cast 'em out and wind 'em in.No tricky twitches.You'll have a blast!
    Goodk luck.
    Jas

mistress_T

Hi- Jas- have heard all the bits on the 110 slick rigs which is good- have you tried the new 4"Gulp Pogy's yet? My mates in WA are killing the pig on them and I'm at Awoonga in Sept for a few days then Nov for a week (when the rest of the world is there) on the houseboat- have a new threadline outfit to try- pulls 9 kilos of drag, fishing it with thin 30 on a 'mini jig rod'- should be ok I think.
    Have you had any dramas with the slick rig hooks?

Tight lines and lots of big barras to you,

Greenie

G'Day Greenie.
    In regards to the pogy's mate, yeh I have tried them. Johnny Schofield sent me a few packets, said something pretty similar to you about guys up in the Territory whacking 'em as well.
    I havent had any success using them yet, but honestly I havent put much time in with them to be fair. They require a fair amount of forced action to get them to swim, so they are a lot different to what Ive been using. I guess my gear doesnt marry particuarly well for that style of plastics as well, looks to me like a finesse approach would be the way to go.

In regards to the slick rig hooks, I havent lost a single fish to one yet, but I have stretched them
    They are holding up, with some new hooks due out soon.
    Ive caught fish over a 120cm using them, the most critical factor to be addressed is the leader.
    They are deeply inhaled, so the stresses are obvious. I guess thats the main reason you dont seem to loose fish to a straightened hook, because the purchase of hooking both the upper and lower jaw is not there.
    Threadline sounds great, thats some serious drag. My guess is a top notch Daiwa Certate or a Stella?
    The way I see it, plastics will open a lot of doors for less experienced anglers to catch big impoundment Barra casting. You dont need a bc, infact your better off with a threadline for plastics IMO, and theres no tricky retrieve.

Yeh the crowds are thick in Novemeber, but theres ALWAYS somewhere to fish where others are not. Most will be trolling, so the fringes are usually pretty traffic free.
    Anyway, be more than happy to catch up at the trade show this weekend for a chat.
    Cheers
    Jas

Jas, or anyone who wants to reply,

A few of us are up that way in Oct and have a bucket load of Slick Rigs etc to try out.

I am a great believer of "Catch and release" and putting the least stress onto fish and when you mention that Barra swallow these quite deeply into their throats, do you take off the barbs?

Rich,

Rich,
    I practise catch and release as well. When I said they inhale the plastic, they do. However, it doesnt end up in the gullet. They usually hook around the tongue or the inside of the gill plate.
    Squashing the barb will not make any difference. The hook comes out extremely easy, (sometimes too easy, wondering how it held) because of the hardness of the area inside a barra's mouth.
    If your not familiar with what I mean, next time you land a Barra, quickly look inside its mouth, its armour plated.
    Good luck in October.
    Jas

I also too have found that they do take the plastics to the backs of their mouths. Have lost a couple of fish to, going to light on the leader. The corner of their jaw just cuts away at it. That was 60lb 10X and i will never make that mistake again.

just somthing to keep in mind.

matt