Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snaps for Barra Lures

Re: Snaps for Barra Lures

I wont ever use any sort of snap going when fishing for barra. I've lost good fish using various clips in the past, never again. I retie at every change of lures & at every fish caught. If that means I take a few minutes each day to put a new leader on,,,, so be it.

Learn good knots & use a good leader.

Cheers,

fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by McCod
    [quote author=barramad. link=1154660154/0#11 date=1154906820][quote author=A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE link=1154660154/0#9 date=1154903626]

Loop knots and line failure at split ring…… yes plenty of. I have seen a few Cross locks fail but in all cases it’s been big Barra wrapping around structure and the snaps had been used way past there use buy time and became soft.
    I beg to differ. If you are having or had loop knots fail at the tow point then you have failed to address the problem, sharp edges!
    Classic Barra's are a prime example. If you do not put a ring like a Owner Hyperwire split ring through the nose, then yes, they will fail. Most likely on the first fish you hook. Tow points are notoriously hard on leader systems, but address the problem and it becomes irrelevant. Then it comes down to how well you tie the knot.

Anyway Stumpthumpa, whatever you have confidence in will work for you. I trust my knots, and my judgment. If the snap lock is the way to go for you, Ive got no probs with that just dont think that it will be the be all and end all of Barra leader systems. We are a fair way off obtaining that.
    Happy fishing.
    Jas

I don't think any more really has to be added to this post, yet I'm adding once more. Les, You mentioned earlier that the cross lock snaps get soft and you have to change them after a day or two of constant lure swapping. If you have to change them, it seems to me that you lose faith in them as they soften. If they are softening and you are changing them, that to me seems a weak point in the system. As you said, I haven't used one, yet what you describe seems a very good reason why not to 'chance' them. I know most times they wouldn't fail, yet the time/s they do would be enough to dissapoint someone, especially if its that bigger, harder pulling fish in a more vigorous hard slog situation. Your fishing seems to see a lot of lure changes and the snap suits your fishing scene.
    The loop knot has never failed me once in about 15yrs, hence why we use it. In my books it is 100% safe if tied correctly. Yet as Jas described, some lure tow points are flat and sharp, not smooth and rounded. Careful split ring choice and addition will override that harsh area on those lures. You probably are aware.
    Good to see what you rate as the better choice though, as like you mentioned, it is what Stumpthumpa asked for. I couldn't comment on the snap as it is something we have removed from our system for good reason, hence my post on non-snap systems.
    See ya on the flip side!
    Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by barramad.
    [quote author=McCod link=1154660154/0#14 date=1154932071][quote author=barramad. link=1154660154/0#11 date=1154906820][quote author=A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE link=1154660154/0#9 date=1154903626]

Loop knots and line failure at split ring…… yes plenty of. I have seen a few Cross locks fail but in all cases it’s been big Barra wrapping around structure and the snaps had been used way past there use buy time and became soft.
    I beg to differ. If you are having or had loop knots fail at the tow point then you have failed to address the problem, sharp edges!
    Classic Barra's are a prime example. If you do not put a ring like a Owner Hyperwire split ring through the nose, then yes, they will fail. Most likely on the first fish you hook. Tow points are notoriously hard on leader systems, but address the problem and it becomes irrelevant. Then it comes down to how well you tie the knot.

Anyway Stumpthumpa, whatever you have confidence in will work for you. I trust my knots, and my judgment. If the snap lock is the way to go for you, Ive got no probs with that just dont think that it will be the be all and end all of Barra leader systems. We are a fair way off obtaining that.
    Happy fishing.
    Jas[/quote]

Jas… funny you should mention that….. A few of the rings were Owner Hyperwire rings and 80 lb Penn 10 X Leader.... still cut through it tho. I still use the loop knot system when using single strand leaders for Barra but try and find the time to run a sleeve on the loop. And your right there is not a be all to end all leader or snap system for Barra yet. Need to have confidence in a system for any fishing but Barra seem to taunt that a fair bit. And to anyone who is interested Mustad easy links do a fairly good job also and failures are very rare. C ya up there in 2 weeks Johnny and a few weeks in September.

Cheers Les

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

Seems like horses for courses.
    Some prefer clips and some don't, but a lot of the newbies and the infrequent fishers need all the help that they can get.
    The great thing about this forum is that you get a cross mix of opinions and you can go and do your own thing.
    A quote from my old pa.
    The day you stop learning is the day you die.

Unquote
    Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Thanks everyone, differences of opinion - sure, but points put across without malice.

I should probably elaborate a bit further. The first two weeks of October will see a group of us make the annual trip north hoping to tangle with some big Barra. Usually we go to Prossie, but uncertain water levels have made us change and so we will visit Cania and then onto Awoonga with Monduran as an option. I have fished all but Awoonga before so I really look forward to seeing Awoonga.

Our group comprises some great fishos who are very experienced in Beach fishing, or chasing Yellowbelly for example. The downside of this is that Barra tough knots can be a problem for some and when confidence in knots is low, one member can end up tying all the knots. Spread across a few boats this is a real problem. You see the reason for my question.

Some of our group are happy to troll and some like to slug it out in the sticks. So hopefully now we have determined the best snap as a fall back should the need arise. The knot tying lessons continue in the meantime.

If in doubt with the knot try some super glue.
    Even some of the guides use it.
    Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Stumpthumpa,
    Best of luck with your trip. Try to find some material on knot types and how to tie them as even though your crew may have limited knot experiences as you said, the re-tying of the leader to the snap will be a job often needed. The loop knot is an easy one to learn. Make sure all knots are pulled 'tight' before use. There are books and websites that contain many knot types and diagrams to follow to help you learn.
    Some one will most likely add a link to a website or good booklet to buy before you go.
    I have seen a few links on this site latley that you will probably find interesting.
    Can anyone give directions to a website related to fishing knots?
    Johnny M

Thanks Johhny,
    I appreciate your comments and hope to see you at Awoonga, we will be there the second week of October, maybe a little earlier depending on how Cania fishes.

One for ya mate....... http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtech...ots_index.html

Bit of practice and the boys will be doing it in there sleep

Cheers Les

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."