Thread: AWOONGA  AND  PROSERPINE

over_run

AWOONGA  AND  PROSERPINE

Just trying to plan a trip to these two dams, as this area is along way from where i live.
    Just wondering what anyone who fishes these areas reguarly, feels are the best times of
    the year to fish.

Re: AWOONGA #AND #PROSERPINE

personally october-november.. but really..
    anytime you have your line in the water at
    awoogna is the best time...

personally october-november.. but really..
    anytime you have your line in the water at
    awoogna is the best time...

darryl_l

over run,

I was at Faust Dam about a month ago and they were busily constructing a new ram as the other one was almost totally unusable. If it is a long way from home I would check with the regulars from that area before heading up there.

Darryl L

Re: AWOONGA  AND  PROSERPINE

Quote Originally Posted by over run
    Just trying to plan a trip to these two dams, as this area is along way from where i live.
    Just wondering what anyone who fishes these areas reguarly, feels are the best times of
    the year to fish.
    G'day mate, there are 3 dams in the Mackay area that hold barra and sooties, Kinchant, Teemburra and Eungella, with Kinchant being only 30 minute drive from th city, it is easily the most productive and barra over 1 metre is the norm. Dec/jan is by far the best time, same with Prossy. My son managed 1 barra in Prossy last week, it was 87cm and he "got smoked by a horse of a barra". And he comes down from Darwin to catch decent barra.
    Plenty of cheap, good accom in the area.

Oct-Nov great time or mid-Mar to first week May.
    If camping check out your accommodation. Lots of threads re accommodation at Awoonga. Proserpine Caravan Park in Town about 20klms from dam is great. Camp Kanga is more of a camp for Fishing Blokes.
    If you have family (Wife) am sure would prefer in Proserpine.
    Awoonga is a great dam but really check into the accommodation.
    Kinchant dam is ok but don't bother with Kinchant Waters caravan park. It is out of the ark and would rate lower than Awoonga Caravan Park.
    Not much water in Teemburra or Eungalla but Teemburra is a long walk back up the ramp for your boat trailer.
    If going north don't forget Lake Monduran is only 4klms off the highway with a great Caravan Park. Would recommend it to all going north as the best facilities and the chance of catching barra and Bass.
    Enjoy your trip.
    If you look back through some of the threads there is heaps of info on these impoundments and the accommodation angle is well and truly worthwhile checking into.
    Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

over run,

Have fished both dams different times of year but find it more productive october november.If mens trip,rooms @ camp kanga at faust is fine the caretakers Graham& June are more than helpfull with any advise. will be there myself first week in october might see you there. All the best & tight lines

Lino

Over run

Hi!

I'll be at faust Oct 18th for 5 days. Will be staying at Prossie van park in one of two cabins available. $50 a night with all the goods

Coming from albury so yeh, a long way to go.

Been there heaps and at different times of the year.

December was great but.....hot

Just gotta work hard and you'll find 'em. Will find them any month

Heading down to awoonga after that. staying at willowgrove caravan park in a cabin again. Also pretty cheap $55 a night

looking forward to your report. Can't wait to get there meself

Cheers

Sy

december

Awoonga may

I will agree with October, November i put a post poll up in this forum and november was 1st followed by october, I am at Awoonga in November 18 might see you there? As far as Faust went there in september last year and I got all my advice from Lindsay at Proserpine bait and tackle, he likes to see everyone get a barra and will share all secrets, he has a web site, but do check with him the dam was right down last I herd.

Cheers tt

over_run

cheers thanks for the info sounds like oct / nov will be the busiest time as well still got some organsing to do but once there it will be fishin, fishin,beer and more fishin
    cheers and thanks once again