Thread: Freash Water Moments

Freash Water Moments

Hey To all

I am stuck at home and was thinking to myself what was a moment that stands out more than any other throughout all of my trips fishing.
    There is the and always will be the first fish, which was in 1985 which was a 3 pound brown trout. Thats too easy but the one that stands out more than any other was my first trip to Lake Pedder in Tasmania in 1988. I was 9 years old and my dad had told me stories of how in the hay day the fish where massive, tale's of 10, 15 even twenty pounders smashing the fish cakes as they where retived, and how it was so ruggered and beautiful which made it even more appealing.
    Well my first trip was a great one I landed 7 fish in a day and out did the old man at his stomping ground with the smallest fish being 3.5 pound and the biggest being 7.5 pound so for me, all that I had been told was true and it was all I could have dreamed of, right from the build up thanks to dad , to the real thing.

But I think the Key Word in most stories and memorable moments is DAD

Thanks TT

Re: Freash Water Moments

i lived in the territory for three years and invited my dad up at the end of one of the wets.he was a keen fisho in his young days trout mainly,we had three days out at shady camp on the mary river.to see a mans eyes light up on his second cast and hooked up to a 800mm salt water barra was great.after three days lost count of the fish we got and many beers in the barkhut inn i will never forget the comment he gave me when he was sitting at the bar.he said now he nows how i could get hooked on something that gives you that much of a buzz and could finally understand why i would want to move to the territory..he still talks about it now(8 years on).

rogue2527

There are 2 trips that stick out in my mind. The 1st was October 2004, I had never fished for anything other than yellas and bass so we went for our maiden trip chasing Barra up at Callide. We had an absolute crapy run, our borrowed motor wouldnt work, the weather was bad and the camp was a little unsettled. We (my father and I) borrowed an electric of the people we were camped with and as lousy as the weekend had been we were the only ones to get a strike. Well that lasted about 45 seconds but with that I and my old man were hooked and I also vowed not to borrow any boat or equipment again. The 2nd. The following November 2005 I had finally purchased my own boat combo and we had organised a trip to Awoonga to break the boat in. The first day I landed my 1st ever barra 71cm and within a couple of casts i got my second, also 71cm and the old man got his 1st ever strike but lost it. We ended up going the next couple of days without a bite but kept trudging on. It was my dad who broke the dry spell and his 1st ever landed at 105cm. It was 1 of the funniest things I had seen, for the next 1/2 hour he couldnt sit still and was shaking like a leaf. I had to roll his smoke and crack his can for him as he simply couldnt manage it. Over the next few days we got a couple of smaller fish and I thought the old boy had done me for size untill the last night. We were just about done, dad had another 1 up on me and we were going to troll home, but before we got far my chrome viper got smashed by a 116cm monster. well I had a grin from ear to ear, I got him. We are heading back there in October and he swears he's going to bust me this time.

Standing at the end of a set of rapids on the Severn river. I watched a BIG yella follow my lure on 3 casts then watched him take it on the 4th. Great stuff.

Lots of great memories.
    Probably the greatest was at Kunnurrara at Fitzroy crossing of Ord river.
    We were staying at caravan park and i got talkin to young staff member about fishin.
    He said there was a good spot at the crossing on the northern side and you had to be fishin before the sun comes up.
    We left camp at 4am and drove the 35k to the site and waited till there was enough light to see a little.I had an 8ft rod with a large Diawa eggbearer with brand new 20lb Bionic Braid and a $5 lure from the bargain box.
    Second cast something hit the lure like an express train.The next 20 minutes were the best fun ive had whilst vertical,In the morning light i could just make out this huge fish, as she jumped 4 times each time gills flared and shaking violently trying to throw the lure.I had never used braid before and I couldn>t believe the feel of the fish shaking it.s huge head.
    Eventually i led her to the bank where i got a photo and got a rough measurement.
    I was shaking with excitment. as i watched her swim away to fight another day.
    She weighed 16Kg and was around 130cm.
    I.m sure ill never forget every datail of that encounter.My first and longest Barra.

scott_b

Gday jimbambs (oldfella)
    Things have changed, once we were happy with a catfish we caught on a worm and a handline, now if its not a meter long and caught on a casted lure then releast ,we don't even talk about it.
    wamjam

Egg Zackery right
    must be evolution!!!!!!