Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 32KG Lake Awoonga Barra

32KG Lake Awoonga Barra

My brother, Tony, landed this 1295mm barra at Lake Awoonga about a week ago whilst visitng from Brisbane. It was caught casting. A deep diving old timber lure enticed the strike. I filmed the capture and the release. Not the best photo, but good enough to be used as a reminder of the occassion. Survival and care for the fish is first priority.
    Thought it may be of interest.
    Johnny Mitchell

Re: 32KG Lake Awoonga Barra

Man that is an awesome fish!!!!!! Well done and just proves that they are still on the chew during winter.

Awesome stuff Johnny, congrats to your bro. How's the size of the melon on that thing, let alone the girth of the rest of it. Did ya's get it in the shallows? Must have been some major displacement of water when it engulfed the lure.

Cheers
    Tiges

hussy

they must still be on the chew i rang harro at awonga yesterday and he had caught three , despite the rain

That is a fantastic fish. A mate of mine at work is going to intro me to freshwater fishing later in the year and I would be happy with something 1/4 the size. Are catchs that size common? I want to learn as much as I can.

Kel [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

The barra was hooked in about 17ft of water whilst casting a 20ft diving lure. Many people talk of shallows and warmest water, and I can guarantee that in many cases this warmest water theory is irrelevant. The last few days has seen ideal conditions for barra fishing, yet in a blink of an eye in these months it can go from good to bad in no time. Each day is different, and 'on the chew' is probably not a good description to describe how they are during the winter months. Every day, the barra get caught from different locations, quite often never the same place twice for best results. We are landing barra everyday, yet it takes a great deal of nous and background history to be able to continually do this. Eg, one day can seem easy, the next feels almost impossible. When the going is good, anyone and any lure can catch one, when it gets tough, there are plenty of sad faces at the boat ramp. June and July are no 'walk in the park' for most. Don't get tricked into thinking it is easy, but "you won't catch any if you stay in the lounge room!" It is always possible to land barra at Awoonga any day of the year, regardless of the prevailing weather conditions.
    Johnny M

thats one bloody huge barra congrats. cheers bdowdy

Heya A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE

There are some big fish in those impoundments and that is a great capture. It's refreshing to hear "survival and care for the fish is first priority" in many of the pics I see fish "released to fight another day" have been handled so roughly the chances of them surviving in the esky are only a little worse than dropping them back in the water.

Hey mate, am I wrong or is that the biggest recorded barra at Awooga so far?

It's a Massive fish.

Pete.

thats one very nice fish mate congrats cheers ida

hardb8

Congats to you and ya brother Johnny,
    # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #A true MONSTER.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Regards hardb8 #

Johnny,
    Just out of interest, what weight gear was it caught on?
    With a fish that size, I'd want to put some hurt on her as soon as possible rather than exhaust it on light gear.

cheers,
    Owen
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Bundy_Burp

That is a bl@@dy big fish if that didnt put a permanent bend in your rod nothing would .

Bundy

Fish care and correct handling is paramount. Less than 60 seconds on board is optimum.
    50lb braid, 80 lb leader was used, as nearly always is.
    Not sure on records. Many big barra have been landed and released in Awoonga, some not even measured. Only the fish that get pulled from the lake and weighed not living manage to make that record book. Annually for ever and a day, the record will be broken. No point removing fish for record status. Growth rates aren't anywhere near saturation point as yet. Set a benchmark over 40 kilos and watch that mark be hard to beat in coming years. Appreciate the time taken for these giants to reach mammoth proportion, and think of the times they have possibly been landed and released before. With a little respect we can all hopefully get the opportunity to hook and land one in time to come. Photographs as memories, or just plain simple memories of the event will last forever. A fishery where fish are removed will not!
    Johnny M

Thats a sweet philosphy Johnny.

Good stuff & great catch.

Cheers
    James