Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: releasing large barra

Re: releasing large barra

Quote Originally Posted by blaze
    and ya know what, with all the bitching back and forth, argueing probably just for the sake of it, I dont know wether I want to waste that day for fear that I may do the wrong thing.
    Just seen through the eyes of an interstate fisho
    Blaze.
    Do it and have a blast. The guides that charter impoundment Barra are amongst the VERY BEST in the buisness.
    Its not a matter of right or wrong, or an argument for that matter, more so being able to make an educated decision on catch and release.
    Doesnt matter where you live, but picture this, a dam full of huge Barra or Cod that have been stocked for our enjoyment. Its in your backyard...........on a regular basis you see people from all over the country fish here. The joy on their faces is priceless, when they get that fish of a lifetime. Thats what its all about, and why we all spend hard earned cash to go there.
    The ugly side, people taking bag limits of metre plus barra to feed their pigs etc.(because they think they are doing the right thing!)
    Thats where websites like this help interstate anglers/travellers.
    To get the truth, hear other peoples experiences and concerns.
    Like every other form of fishing, we need to protect it, not destroy it.
    Thats all Im going to say on the matter.
    Good luck on your charter.
    JW

I tend to agree with JW on this.
    We always release the bigs ones very carefully.

It is the choice of the individual angler though.

What I DON'T AND CAN'T AGREE WITH IS THE FREEZER BRIGADE, you meet at some of the dams like Awoonga and Peter Faust. They are only looking after themselves and don't give a stuff about the average Joe Blow who would like to catch a big fish. Yeah if you want to keep a big one fine, but there is no need to fill up a chest freezer like some of them

A few where caught up around Karumba this year and it is only a matter or time till a few of the Freezer brigade get caught and not before time.

Last trip caught and release over 50 barra and only kept a smaller one for a few fillets for consumption. My choice and thats what is about.
    But if everyone takes all the big ones from dams like Awoonga and Faust then eventually problems will arise.

Just me thinking out loud.

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

soft plastic knotless.........doesn't hurt eyes and takes very little protective slime off.

It's not a barra but this net is the best for catchnrelease if you think you have to lift afish out of the water

They do make this net in abig barra size but I reckon after your first metre barra has its mugshot the rest of your fishing trophy shots should be taken without lifting other fish out of the water......

Gidget,
    According to Ben Diggles, plastic nets still split fish fins, and apparently the enviro styles cause less damage according to studies.
    All ABT and AFC comps are required to use enviro's, but really we are starting to split hairs on the subject. Thanks for showing pics of the plastic knotless..............good advice regarding lifting fish out of the water as well.
    Cheers
    Jas

Papa_Smurf

May as well have my two bobs worth. I agree that Awoonga is a trophy fishery or at least a good proportion of the fish are trophy size. The reasons for this are probably many but one of the most important is likely to be the phenomenal growth rates following the massive inundation associated with cyclone Bennii. This caused a huge productivity boost in the whole food chain. It will be interesting to see if growth continues, my observations are that things are slowing down.

Personally I doubt if the number of big fish moving out of the fishery is having much of an impact. Agree that the freezer brigade have no place in rec fishing. I personally find it very hard to criticise anyone who keeps their first or best ever barra however, particularly in a put and take lake.

I feel a little apprehensive calling Awoonga a trophy fishery. At the present Awoonga is not managed as a trophy fishery. Overseas trophy fisheries are stocked at low rates to allow fast growth rates. What ends up happening is that there are few but large fish - only caught by experts or those willing to hire guides for weeks at a time. The average fisher doesnt get much of a look in. I personally would prefer to keep catching a range of sizes. The stocking rate seems fine to me - if it isnt broken, dont fix it.

As a final point i dont think that releasing barra successfully is rocket science or that anyone should feel apprehensive about it. Unfortunately the only way to avoid hurting all fish is not to fish for them. If a fish is badly hurt, keep it -dont waste it? Take a look at the release fish website, the barra fact sheet is simple and practical.

John P

John,
    Comments welcomed on this subject, however as with all chat boards its very easy to miscontrue what people are trying to say or achieve.
    My comments are NOT directed at fisherman who you describe .i.e first time Barra anglers. I am extremely pleased for those people who catch their first fish and take them home. I work hard in helping other anglers catch that fish of a lifetime by writing articles on the matter, and appear in instructional DVD's. My motivation for doing this is NOT FINANCIAL. I get a FEW dollars from the articles I write, but trust me when I say this, it doesnt even cover my fuel. I do it because I remember how I felt when I caught my first Barra, how I feel about the fishery now and want everyone to also see it first hand. I myself kept the first Barra I caught, to eat. I learned pretty quickly that freshwater Barra are VERY ordinary table fare. That is my opinion, others may disagree. So I'd be a bit of a hypocrite if I said people should not keep their first or however many it is in their quest. Good luck to anglers who are fishing to catch a feed, this IS a put and take!
    If you read the thread you will see that this is NOT an area I have any problems whatsoever.

For some reason Im struggling to get my point across, so for the record.................
    I AM ALL FOR THAT!!

What Im NOT all for is people believing they MUST take these fish for the benefit of Lake Awoonga. It is simply not true, as it is of no benefit, but true detriment to the fishery.
    Awoonga is fast becoming, if it isnt already the countrys premier sports fishery. People are travelling from all over the country, and in some cases, all over the world.

Surely you dont need to ask yourself why?

If you do, its because of the extremely good chance of catching a TROPHY Barramundi. Not a 700mm, not a 900mm, a metre plus fish. Other destinations have much higher percentage rates of smaller Barra .ie. the NT.

This is why I believe it is a trophy impoundment. Of course it is if its full of trophy fish. There are more trophy Barra in this impoundment than smaller fish, but the larger fish are a little harder to tempt at times, and can require some changed attitudes or lateral thinking to catch them.
    But, you certainly dont need to be an expert to catch metre fish here. Last summer (which is peak season for Awoonga as you know) you would have been VERY unlucky not to catch at least one metre plus fish in a session. Some of the cricket scores racked up by first timers, some who hooked up while leaving the ramp, was incredible. I was so excited for them all, listening to their stories at the ramp was worth the trip alone. Some older people really inspired me with their excitment.

However, an ugly side started to rear its head.
    As summer wore on, boats started returning with 4 and 5 metre plus fish, some still alive, others in poor condition, obviously not destined for the table.
    My heart sank as increasing numbers of anglers gave me the drum, about how they must be killed, for the benefit of the fishery, so more fish will be stocked, or so that the others will survive. We know the license dictates 250,000 fingerlings per annum, and we also know that its simply not true that the smaller ones will get a better chance.

From fertiliser for personal gardens, to feeding pet pigs, to just plain "dump 'em in the bin" became the popular response.

This is where I have a problem.
    It is absolute rubbish to say its beneficial for Awoonga. If the numbers of metre class fish fall, so will the visiting anglers, which affect tourism and local economy. It also decrease's the amount of anglers who get exposed to the thrill of this great place.
    I would love to see Awoonga managed as a trophy fishery, but with continual stocking and monitoring.
    Much the way Blue Ribbon Trout streams are managed in the Highlands. One fish over a certain length and a standard bag limit apply after that.
    If we can educate anglers that its NOT the right thing to kill big fish for no reason, then we are well on the way of becoming an even better fishing destination for travelling/visiting fellow anglers.
    Thats what Im on about, not ragging on people genuinely taking fish for their own reasons or whatever.
    Its about education.
    Cheers
    Jas Wilhelm

Any opinions welcomed on this subject, but please leave the shitfight out of it.
    Jas

still_water

Jas,
    For those who have not already heard Monduran is on the Target board, with a pernit granted for the bigger fish ie; 90cm + to be taken. They have granted a small number (very small ) to be rereleased into the Salt once turned over in holding tanks which are just about complete. Approx number as I am not directly sure at this moment is the rest will go to the homeless shelters for food supply.
    The fisheries from what I gather would like to put a holding pond at the ramp for those to put their bigger fish in at the end of the day.

The theory behind this is to cull the metre plus fish so the average family has more of a chance at catching larger numbers of smaller ones.

I dunno maybe I am doing something wrong as we seem to pull a 70 cm and #metre + from the same snag.
    At different times of the year I find the smaller ones come out more, then they swap over, still trying to work that one out, which will be never.
    Once I remember the exact numbers they want culled I will let you know, as I was a bit more than upset when they were telling me , as mentioned I get clients from Locally , Japan and America and Germany who do look forward to a big fish, but still get over excited on anything over 70 cm.

I am a put and take fisher , but dont believe in taking more than a feed if you want some. I personally do enjoy eating them.
    Anyhow I hope they keep stuffing around with this culling side , the longer the better.
    Brett

Comments are great Jas, I think that a lot of the people gain there impressions within the Awoonga Caravan Park.

Merv actually told my wife that we should not release our big fish and if we didn't want to keep them to throw them up on the bank. It is that sort of attitude and from one of permanents in the Park a few people get the ideas from.

Perhaps this attitude is why some of the large dead fish are about. Yes realise some are deaths from incorrect Catch n Release.

Yes we released all, bar a small one (Legal) for fillets for the grandchildren

We believe in Catch and Release and normally fish 3 to 4 times a week. 95% + of the fish we catch of legal size, are released.

Also have been heavily involved in Fishing Competition and sometimes it hard to change the attitude of some people.

The education needs to be done properly with information on Catch and Release displayed near the ramp. A lot of people go up to the "" Biggest range of lures in Central QLD"" kiosk at the park, for advise and get spun all the BS. It will be a great day when the management changes, but hope the new people value the dam and its contents a little bit better.

Keep up the good work Jas,

Trev

Papa_Smurf

Hi Jason,
    No criticism intended of anyone. Just my thoughts on the issues discussed.

I agree whole heartedly with your views on killing large fish to protect the fishery. AS i wrote in Lets Go Fishing last November there are plenty of small fish, you dont get this if cannibalism is having a major effect. Those who dont see the small fish dont know where to look. I wasnt aware of the active promotion of removal of large fish in awoonga. Like you i also hate to see waste of fish. There is no excuse for this sort of vandalism. Unfortunately one prominant fishing writer is also pushing the issue. I remember having to catch a fish for him to photograph. I repeat what i said earlier, why would you want to change management when its working so well?
    cheers
    John Platten

Brett,
    G'day mate. Gee I didnt see that coming! Thats pretty ordinary wanting to cull fish like that, particuarily since its your livelyhood we are talking about. Will have to do some reasearch on it and see what the real motivation behind it is.

Trev aka mylestrom.
    Dont even get me started on Merv or the van park! We share the same thoughts and views there mate. Yeh, great range of "lures" on the "wall" in the little shed eh?
    I look forward to the day also, good thing for other van parks in the area though, everyone is wising up and staying elsewhere. Willowgrove is great, as is Hilltop motel where $60 bucks a night sees two beds, A/C cold beer and good food for those who are not that fond of camping.
    Absolute gems who run both of those places too.

John,
    As said earlier, views and thoughts respected mate.
    Your spot on with your comments regarding small fish, and Im also hearing you regarding the journo who is peddeling the culling of big fish debate. Sounds about right having to catch a fish for him too.
    Yes, I reckon the stocking program is simply the best and should be kept as it is with close monitoring. I cant see a chance of saturation with the onset of summer and the troll brigade ever growing.
    Thanks all for your comments.
    JW

S.S.

So effectively, our SIP money is being used to feed homeless people??? # Now that's something we should all be happy about. #Instead of ticking the dam you want stocked, let's tick the charity we want the fish given to. #
    Hmmmm.... a holding pond hey? # Let's catch a metre barra, leave it lay on the deck for the 30 minute run back to the ramp ..... nah, bugger it, let's keep on fishing for another three hours and then throw it in a pond when we get back. # That'll work.

Would be interested in hear a few more details of this holding pond at Monduran and how they think that it is going to work.

The science being the thinking, let alone the stress to the fish, makes me a bit dubious.

However am willing to listen to what the research and thinking is behinds it.

Can't make my mind up, unless am aware of the details.

Trev