Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: MASSIVE fish kill

Re: MASSIVE fish kill

I have heard this issue discussed at FFSAQ's annual meeting with the DPI.
    Basically the situation we have now is - The owner of the water in the dam - eg a corporation like Sunwater- has a contract with the irrigators below the dam to sell them a guaranteed amount of water. The corporation is obliged to sell this amount . If they do not the customer can sue the corporation for failing to supply the water. there is absolutley no requirement for any environmental or scenic or recreational values to be looked after. The river below the dam may as well be a concrete pipe. (No matter that Nature or whoever supplied the water as part of the ecology- so how can you sell it !)
    In one of the South American countries this system was taken even further to include drinking water for people - if you couldnt afford to pay water rates you couldnt have water. There was a revolt and the asystem was overthrown.
    The idea of a minimum level for ecological reasons makes a lot of sense, but would require a change to the way things are set up.
    Personally I find it incredible that we all understand more about the environment and the value of working within our natural world, but allow a system that treats the water as a resource to be bought and sold to be put in place.
    Robert Anderson

What you are saying may be close to the mark.

Have you noticed how the government (Sunwater) still charge farmers in the Lockyer for water they do not get because the water is not available?

What is the difference then, with turning off the tap at the dam when the water reaches a minimum level for fish to live?

Bruce Cox

fisha_4_lyf_1989

thats sad.
    but hopefully that is all thats the only dam that has to go thought that.
    gotta make sure that it doesnt happen to other dams

If they have to sell the farmers water and sunwater isn't going to do much about it what would be wrong with letting the fish go downstream shurly that would be better than letting them die after all isn't why they have to stock dams?
    I agree with what has been said and I realise that it would be a mammoth effort, and I would like to see more water left in the Dam but the authorities don't seem to care and its gut wrenching to see that much fishkill, again just a suggestion thats probaly not possible

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

Beaurocratic Bastards!!!!!!! > > >

What is safe anyway? The older you get the more you see, the sadder it is...

Guys
    I've just renewed a couple of SIP's and ticked the "Wuruma" box. It might be a good idea to allocate your funds there as well!
    Dave