Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MASSIVE fish kill

S.S.

Re: MASSIVE fish kill

Quality Silvers.... gone!

jim_farrell

We are so intelligent. Build a dam. Stock it, over use it. Allow animals that we put in there to suffocate to death.
    That is one of the most disgusting things i've seen in a long time. >

Wonder what hapened?? I guess the DPI have been out for a look . Well that is if they know how to find it. The rest of the fish have little chance over the summer! With hot ground temps and a evening shower it would allmost curtainly wipe out the rest of the big fish.... The big ones go the first as they need more oxygen! I guess the stocking group will rollover the SIP funds until they get some water to stock.

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

Its a bloody shame. I think however, that the timing is cucial as this may well get some action by all sides of politics on this issue.

In some ways, it may not be a bad thing if a few fish are lost.

Will now have to hold our breathe & see if fish go belly up in other lakes eg Cania, Atkinsons, Barambah................................

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Is anyone keen on trying to save these fish or is it too late?
    The fish kill pics dont show mass numbers of fish & I was wondering if its possible to put oxygen back into the water by using paddle wheels.
    These devices are used in aquaculture in SEQ now & with some sweet talking maybe some could be arranged.
    Is there anyone in the stocking group from Wuruma available to comment?
    Maybe we can still do something to save some of the fish before temps rise with summer.
    Cheers
    Toppy
    Mobile 0429644800

Well that just deflated my evening...

I dont know what to say... Thats a horrible situation for all those Impoundments down that way. Can only wish that the situation improves and the rain's bring water level's back up to normal.

TT
    TT

Well this has upset me. Was over at BP Dam the other day and can see it going this way unless legislation can stop SunWater pumping water out when it gets below 10%. Who in their right mind lets a dam get down to 3% before they hang up the hose.
    I agree with Fitzy - may take something like this to change the way our dams are managed when levels are depleted.
    Regards
    Sav

I really don't think all is lost. The dam level in the photos looks about where it was 18 months ago before they had a bit of water run in. It had been at that level (0-1%) for a few years beforehand, and many locals reckoned it was dry, no fish because not enough water, all dead etc etc. We used to travel up there every month or so for a fish, and did allright. There would still be over 5 metres of water in places. Sure some fish have died and this is not a good thing, but I don't think it is the end.

Dave.

Pictures by Bob Dover were taken on Friday.
    Here are more taken since then