Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 'Poor Man's Barra Outfit

Re: 'Poor Man's Barra Outfit

Norm, the 50 lb braid/80 lb leader is the recommendation of guides such as Lindsay Dobe at Peter Faust dam who is on the lake most days of the year..
    This proved to be the goods for us. (I used Fins braid) . I gave a mate some 30 lb braid of good quality, only to see it snap on a straight pull when he had to lock up on a estimated 90 cm fish. It is also for abrasion resistance, even the 80 lb neded occasional replacement. Bimini loop and a blood knot (clinch) of the leader to the Bimini was the setup.
    if you are going to troll or cast the flats you could get away with 30 lb, but I always prefer to carry gear that gives some margin for error, its the first few minutes that get ugly.
    Re the video you saw, was one of the dudes an ugly looking feller with a crewcut, wearing a red bandanna?
    Rob

Thanks Rob, think I'll go the 50/80 set up.

Haven't taught myself the Bimini yet. I generally use Uni to Uni or improved Albright to join leader to main line. Works so far, but then I haven't yet tangled a 1m + Barra.

Re the video, I was too busy watching the action, but I recall that one of the guys was wearing a bandana. There was plenty of swearing, but that's not surprising under the circumstances.

Cheers Norm hope you have fun ,
    sorry about the swearing in the video, my mates and I get a bit excited,
    ( I have no idea how Gold Coast Tackle got a copy)
    That was this time last year, going again in a few weeks. can't wait
    Rob