Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Poor Man's Barra Outfit

'Poor Man's Barra Outfit

I've never fished for barra in the impoundments, but now that I have a tinnie to carry on top of the 4B, I thought I should go see what all the excitement is about.

I do a bit of bass fishing on light gear (2 to 4 KG rod with Smimano BC 200 baitcaster, or Shimano Sienna 1000. I also use this kit (with 10lb braid) for Jacks in the Coomera, now that is fun.
    This set up is of course much too light for barra. Kit I have at the moment that comes closest is a Penn Power Graph II 6 ft, 3 -7 KG rod that I can fit with either a Penn Power Graph II 4000 reel (4.4:1) or a Shimano FX 4000 (4.1:1). Both are spinning reels. I suspect this is still pretty light and well short of ideal for the task.

From my look through previous threads on this subject, it is easy to spend $300 to $500 on a rod and $500 to $700 on a reel. That would be fantastic, but I reckon I'm prepared to spend not much more than $400 or so at the moment. If I get hooked, I can keep that rig as a back up or for my wife or son to use and go a bit further upmarket for myself in the future.

I'm not certain, but I think I can get a Penn PinPoint 8 or 10 KG for about $140 or a Shimano Raider Baitcast Barra Magnum for under $200. Even if I'm right, that doesn't leave a lot for the reel.

I just love Shimano reels. The Calcutta CTE 300 seems the bees knees, but way too expensive for the moment. I can get a Curado 200B for about $200, but suspect it is too light. So that just about rules out Shimano. Though I may be able to pick up a second hand (well used, but very servicable) Chronarch 100SF for around $100. Any good?

So, for around $400 (or a touch more), what does anyone suggest.

Re: 'Poor Man's Barra Outfit

HI NormC

I started off with a Penn Powerstick 5'6" and a curado 201b(left hand wind)

Penn was bought at K-Mart and still is a back-up with a calcutta on it

now have a Loomis rod (GL2 CR665 5-12kg) but still use the curado

For casting in the sticks it's a great combo though VERY hard to stop the big girls (sore thumb )

Just my two bob's

Cheers

Sy

Check out the Pflueger range of rods and reels
    Kids need models, more than they need critics."
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand."
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Awoonga, I don't know much about the Pflueger, but just did a bit of a web search. The President LP reel sounds the most likely, but only takes 119 m of 5.5 KG line. Might be a bit small, but it has a total of 9 bearings. It's RRP is similar to the Shimano Curado 200B, which takes 125 m of 6 KG line and has 5 bearings; and it is a Smimano. Both on the net at around the $280 mark.

Of these two, I'd probably go the Curado, due to rep and the fact I can get it for $199 on special at a local tackle shop (provided I make up my mind quickly.

I had thought these reels might be a bit light, but it is worth considering buying quality, even if a bit light. If I later upgrate, I've still got a top reel for lighter stuff.

Is there a more suitalbe Pflueger I should be looking at that you know of?

Luskin, I take it your comment on 'stopping the big girls' supports my view that the Curado is a bit on the light side?
    But as I said to Awoonga, perhaps it is worth considering, given the special at the moment and it's qaulity (well brand anyway).

Curado Good reel at that price.....What about a rod ???

Hi NormC

It is academic in the sticks regardless of reel unless you've got a Tiagra

I just love the curado reel and highly recommend it!

Also you will get a lot more braid on than mono.

And i'm only a novice anyway.

Awoonga(Trev) has loads of experience

Cheers

Sy

Norm,

For $280 you should be looking at one of the new D series Curados. This is a "beefier" version of the curado 200B which is being replaced. It has a more rugged construction and a stronger drag. The link below is a review of the high speed version (200DHSV) but I imagine that the lower geared power version would be more suitable (200DPV). This is just to give you a look at the reel and an idea to it's differences to the 200B.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshim...do200dhsv.html

Some online Australian tackle stores are bundling the 200DPV with a raider rod ($370) or a t-curve for ($430). A decent tackle store should be able to bundle the rod and reel for a similar price, especially if you buy line at the same time (and maybe a few barra lures). I have not used this reel (have a daiwa millionaire CVZ for Barra) but it seems to fit with what you want from a brand you seem to like.

Cheers

Awoonga, if I can pick up the Curado 200B for $199, I should be able to match it with either a Penn Pin Point 8 or 10 KG (probably the 8, given the lighter reel???) or the Shimano Raider Barra Magnum within my budget.

The shop is Tackle World, so I suspect they would have at least one of these.

Does that sound like a good option?

Probably better to have a reel that is slightly on the smaller side, if casting is a priority anyway. Nothing worse than having a larger reel and not quite being able to cast far enough. The lighter reels will also feel a lot better at the end of the day. This is also the reason why I use a graphite rod for lure casting, a lot less tiring. If you get tired from casting a big heavy rod/reel combo, you will tend to put less casts in before having a rest, therefore you will hook less fish. So go for the curado, try and find a fairly good graphite or composite rod, one with a bit of guts, fill her up with 50lb braid and have some fun.

Oh, and if the strikes in the timber don't give you enough of an adrenelin rush, grab yourself a few poppers and get ready for an after dark cardiac arrest

Dave.

Yes have used the Barra Magnum.... Good rod.... The Penn pin point dont know anything about ?? but the inportant thing is to match rod to reel....

Great info here guys.
    Last cast, I now know why the Curado 200B is on special. The DPV sounds great, but close to $100 more expensive.
    I've had a look for web shops selling it with a barra raider or T Curve. Can't find one. Can you give me a link or a reference?

I'm happy to buy locally, but just want to know I'm getting close to best price.

Unless I can find a 200DPV for a good price, it looks like it might be the 200B and Barra Magnum. Hope the 200B is still on special when I get there.

I'll let you know how I go.

Norm,
    Have a look at the Jack erskine low profile reel made by penn, this reel was made specifically for barra and at about $180.00 should fit your budjet nicely.
    Tim

Harry_In_Toowoomba

Yep, Penn Pinpoint Tournament series rod in either the 10 kg or the 12 kg, married to a Penn Jack Erskine signature series reel.

$120 odd for the rod and about $150 for the reel......Add 50 lb braid, 60 lb leader and a hand full of lures and you're in trouble. Great rods and great reels for Barra in the sticks, cast them all day without a muscle strain and the reel will pull up over the 6.5 kg of drag, thanks to Jack's engineering talents.

Welcome to the classiest way to get snotted, beat up and humiliated by a creature there is.......mmmmmmmmm barramundi.

Today i saw Gold Coast Tackle( ninde st Southport) had curado 200's in shelf for $199.00. I dont know if it was the B or other but it was green and Shimano.

I was buying new Fins to head up to Barra land.