Thread: Advice on Soft Plastics fo Barra

Advice on Soft Plastics fo Barra

I bought a bunch of plastics last year for Awoonga, but didn't use them however want to use them this year. I haven't seen too much talk on Ausfish re this, so was hoping that someone could pass on some valued advise on what are the best soft plastic and obviously how to use them.

I have a load of Tzanami in the 4 and 5inch lengths and Starlings and Bushies Slick rigs in 110cm in gold.

Any advice is good adivce, cheers...

Re: Advice on Soft Plastics fo Barra

Squidgy slick rigs drop bear colour 110mm seem to be popular.
    Spoke to a guy last week and he was having success retrieving them resonably fast over the weed beds at Awoonga.

Thanks mate, just to confirm, the drop bear colours are white with a red spot on the head?

Thats them. A slow wind through the structure not much to it compared to hardbodies. I have caught Barra in Coroboree Billabong on storm wild eyed shads. We pulled up to and vertical structure and just jigged them-the barra loved them.

They do like the slick rigs.....

Wooly,
    It seems most people rave about the slick rig drop bear colour (white with red spot) but I have caught heaps of Barra using black/gold, Neon, True Blue and also the technacolour yawn.
    Try and not limit yourself to colours, its honestly not the answer.
    Thinking outside the square, where you fish, and how you present them is WAY more important.
    I dont have a favourite colour, just a favourite plastic. Even then, others work very well also.
    But,in saying that, Ive had far more sucsess using 110mm slick rigs than any other plastic.
    They roll extremely well, have a big paddle tail, and the ribs underneath give off great vibrations.
    Their size is perfect, and providing you fish smartly, you will whack them.
    Good luck.
    Jas

slick rig 110mm is the rad size..
    whatever colour you can get ur hands on is good..

Great information fella's, really appreciated.

When you say that you can "Roll" them, what does that intail?

Sorry to be a pain, but I am more of a fly fisher and only use SP's for Bass where I use them jigging or casting attached to beetle spins.

wooly,

Jas is most probably referring to the inbuilt action of the lure where the lure actually rolls around it's axis. (correct me if I'm wrong Jas)

This body roll along with the ribs and paddle tail emit vibrations when retreived, the barra can detect these vibrations (using they're lateral line) and home in on these lures in very murky or poor visibility conditions.

Most plastics have this action apart from the stick or flickbaits, but as with hardbody lures, different retreives work well for different plastics and you need to experiment to find what works the best for the species you're chasing.

The squidgies, especially the slick rigs, are pretty much fool proof and whenever I go fishing with a friend who's not real familiar with lure fishing that is the lure I give them, generally with great success!

Matt C

Hey Wooly, I think when people refer to a retrieve as a roll. It means the lure is being retrieved just on a steady wind, allowing the natural action of the lure to do the work, in this case the paddle tail. As opposed to jerky or hopping retrieves. But most slow rolls are most effective with the occasional flick, pause or change in pace of retrieve. Just like when you use a beetle spin rigged plastic .

Very good information, much appreciated to all...

A question for Mak... the pics show a snap or clip.. what type and how heavy is it rated? Have you had any problems with them being straightened out by big fish. Have been advised not to use them. Was told they will be fine for most fish untill that BIG one comes along..

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

It's a Halco cross lock snap rated to 50 or 60lb. (can't quite remember)

I've been using them for a fair while now and have yet to experience any problems. The one in the pic above is quite old as they are generally black in colour!

There are opinions that they may become brittle or stretched after a period of time but that hasn't been my experience.

Cheers
    Matt C