Thread: 2 Strokes on Dams ??

MAC_III

2 Strokes on Dams ??

I’m getting a price on a new 25 outboard, some sales persons have advised me to go with a 4 stroke as some main dams will be off limits to 2 strokes next year/soon…… has anyone got info on this, maybe a web site.
    Cheers

Re: 2 Strokes on Dams ??

I have heard same sort of thing but I wonder if that also goes for the etec ev's?
    While I don't like it I agree if it's better for the water.

scott_b

The salesman told me the same thing in 2002
    wamjam

apperentely this is true,i think it is under review but cant be sure,and no,etecs arent exempt from these new regulations if they come in.decisions made by misinformed fools if you ask me.hope someone can fill us in on all the facts.cheers,casta

WSW

If common sense prevails it should come down to the environmental rating of the motor (if that is the right term) and not just a blanket ban on 2 strokes. The key phrase here though is 'common sense' A lot of money wasted if not. Has anyone got any 'facts' re this?

This has been a topic for years, but i can't see it they can't police the water ways now, and with two strokes giving of little emissions now anyway whats the point, my two stroke is 100/1 mix.

I love to see if anyone knows the stats on emissions and polutants between the two.

Cheers TT

Yep I've heard the same story, and wouldn't be surprised to see it introduced. Lenthall's has different Horse Power ratings permitted for 2 strokes and 4 strokes. I'm not permitted to run my hi-tech 4 stroke in Wivenhoe, because I might pollute the water. State Govt is going to start pumping Brisbane's sewage into the dam but that's not pollution.
    There is a report somewhere regarding recreational boating on California's lakes. End result was the engine emissions caused no "recordable" side effects.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

If you can, then ask someone who knows about 2 stroke and 4 stroke. IMO
    I know a mechanical engineer and he warned me about buying a 2 stroke as the repairs are costly and consistently trouble. Where 4 stroke are cheaper to run in the long run.
    We have a 4 stroke and gives us no trouble, ever.
    If you do buy a 2 stroke then I hope you win the Lotto to pay for the repairs. IMO
    But I do always try to listen to someone with expertise, so see if you can find someone like that who does nothing else but repair outboards on weekends and designs motors thru the week.
    Cheers
    Rose

Instead of speculating about when the Government is going to ban 2 strokes(does anybody believe what they say?) go on the facts.
    2 Strokes are noisier, anybody with a 4 stroke will tell you how quiet they are.If you fish, less noise equals more fish
    2 strokes emit more pollution, (many 2 strokes today are more efficient but put them under pressure and see what happens.)

4 strokes do use less fuel in every situation, with many now having onboard computers to regulate fuel usage. In larger 4 strokes the savings in fuel can pay for the motor over 2 or 3 years.

The major manufacturers are investing much more money into 4 stroke technology than 2 stroke, all of them believe it is the engine of the future.

Suzuki is winding up production of all 2 stroke engines to concentrate only on 4 stroke, Honda only makes 4 stroke.

How many 2 stroke cars do you see on the road today?
    Paul McNaught

As to the fresh water and petrol motor I found out today it goes on polution output no matter if it's 2 or for - So the etec will pass the test.