Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Big Barra cull

Re: Big Barra cull

Hi all , I am pleased to hear that there is no nead to cull these barra out of Awoonga dam . With the help of positive, informed & respected anglers out there it is quite apparent that this fishing practice is not acceptable in these stocked fishing impoundments. Maybe the need to implement signage on this matter @ the ramp is needed ? what do you all think? Any suggestions.
    I would put my $50 in for this sort of signed deterant!

Pete Mate.

I like the idea of taking the big fish out alive & releasing them into the local rivers to breed & be king of the castle
    These days with boats having big live wells + combined with catch & release tornaments #it would be not too difficult in some impoundments (Peter Faust comes to mind) .... with the river so close.
    Yeh its left field ...... but no doubt that the bigger fish predate on the released fingerlings (& bigger) ..... #I would rather catch & release a few 80-100cm fish per day than get smashed by one 150cm unstoppable monster #/ month!.

NAGG
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Unfortunatley Nag its not as simple as that.
    It would threaten the wild fish stocks, much the same as when hatchery Salmon escape their pens and then stuff up the whole system. Blue Fin Tuna as well.
    They have been bred in an artificial environment, and then gone on to live in one. It introduces virus's and disease's unfortunatley.

Somehow I dont think we are going to see a dam full of "150cm monsters". Too many people take them out of these impoundments, more likely going to see a dam full of different year class fish.
    Not sure how you come up with the "No doubt" theory. Predatation may be an issue with impoundments with poorer bait density, but a pretty rare occurance in the two mentioned below IMHO.
    Faust impress's me with its bait stocks, and as a few other guys who reg fish Faust tell me often, recently we were catching metre plus fish, next cast 600's. If predatation was such an issue, believe me those smaller fish would wise up after watching their mates dissappear.
    Happens every other day at Awoonga (catching all different year classes off the same snag), and I have yet to see a Barra spew up a Barra. I have caught a few.
    Not saying it doesnt happen, but the would be 20 other more critical factors that threaten the life of a juvenile before predatation becomes an issue.
    Jas

had one cough up a redclaw on the weekend tho

Maybe someone out there in journo land could do an article about this topic instead of glory stories what about an Awoonga fact thread containing the facts about fishing @ the dam . I am sure some of the Ausfish members on this site who are in the public eye ,who write could make this article happen.

PETE MATE

Perhaps you don't read the right mags, or by writers who are locals.
    John.

John , maybe not local but I do purchase a lot of mags & fishn papers & cant recall too many articles on culling big barra.(that no need to).
    I am keen to read or gather some info if available on this topic.
    Thanks
    I was at Awoonga sat night & after my night out checked out the bins to see , well no suprise dead unfilleted barra in the bins?
    PETE MATE.