Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Barra cull

Re: Big Barra cull

Good onya Jas.

The week Navi (Black Sheep) and I were up there (early October), we fished every day and on quite a few occasions coming off the dam at night, we witnessed quite a few metrey's lying on the casting decks of boats being retrieved.

The anglers were proud as punch and fair enough, they have every right to "take" within their limits, but I remember on each occasion, I was just hoping beyond hope that they would end up as a feed for a lot of people and not as fertiliser or in the trash.

You and Johnny M would probably be in the best position to provide an opinion on this issue as you are on the dam more often than most, and can see the impact first hand on the fishery over the short to medium term.

Like you and quite a few others on this forum, and I can speak for Navi here as well, we are very passionate about this great fish and hope that with good fisheries management practices, they will be around for future generations to enjoy.

I reiterate though, that I accept the fact that this is a put and take fishery for all to enjoy and use, but not to abuse. That's the essence of it. I love eating fish, but when you have to disguise the taste of a fillet by soaking it in milk or whatever, it really defeats the purpose doesn't it.

Keep up the great work mate.

Cheers
    Paul

Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Myself not being a Barramundi fisherman, (although I would certainly give it a go when I get the chance), I;ve been following this thread with an objective position.

It's clear that for the most part at the very least, that no-one suggests that the importance of the fishery's overall health is of no importance. That everyone, (even across species) wants to be able to reliably catch fish today, tommorow, and generations to come is apparent.

The question seems to be just what that mechansm is for the long term sustainability for the fisheries. I for one, don't much like the tatse of ANY freshwater fish, and so have released each and every single fish I've caught subsequent to a few at the very outset of getting serious in that aren some 12 or so years ago. Given that many of those years was a dialy event catching Bass and yellws, that's alot of fish..

That said, I hope no-one assumes my angle is to be "selfish" or any such thing (not that I feel anyone does think so), just to be clear.

I was just wondering is the same mistake could possibly be made as has been made in say the area of Kangaroo culls. Barra may well be an Australian fishing icon as mentioned, but the Kangaroo is on the national emblem. And many people argue constantly that they should never be culled, indeed if one's accidently injured on the road that all possible assitance should be metered out by the "offender".

Like wise, many farmers refused to have cultivation banks made on their farms to stop the destruction of the soil, because "those silly bastards in the city wouldn't have a clue".

Yet I'm sure everyone here understands that both of these views (kangaroo culls and farming reluctance) are essential to the ongoing preservation of their respective managments..when the bigger picture is taken into account. Not just "the poor cuddly kangaroo" or "it's my farm, and I know best".

No these aren't areas of fishing, but they are areas in which is emotion had prevailed, with a micro view of "how I see it", both would have resulted in disaters. I'm sure there's countless other examples.

I personally have no idea what the real need for the fiishery in question is, but I think whatever the experts advise is the best for the overall outcome. Surely no-one would disagree with that. After all, these dams went from no barra to meter long fish in a proportiantely short time overall. The people involve doing this were (and I assume still are ) not idiots.

I notice it's generally agreed at least that "education" is one of the compelling mechanisms that has benificially changed the public's fishing habits, to one of responsability. Is it not then reasonable to assume if it's found by those in authority have deemed it essential that fish should be culled, that we, the uneducated should do as we teach? And learn?

Anyway, as I said, I have no idea what's the official word, but I have emailed the department to find out. I was just curios to find out if the re-action against the cull theory is based on knowledge or emotion.

I (like everyone I imagine) wants only the best for the overall outcome, however my feelings on fish is the positive utalitarian one, which after all is the basis which Barramundi were selected for this project in the first place. Not for their iconic value I mean..

cheers
    rob

Good luck, hope you get the right people.

I was talking to the 2 I/C of Awoonga catchment (GAWB) a few days ago during AFC filming. A great bloke I might add, and although he is not a fisherman, his heart is in the place.
    I am not going to name names, its not my place. I will tell you that he though it was "absolute madness" to consider throwing the fish caught on the bank so that future generations will survive. He also understands where this mis-information is coming from, there are quite a few issues at the van park,but Im not going to go into it. The guys around Gladdy know what's going on, along with a few disgruntled travellers. Seperate issue so I will leave it at that.

Before Ken Cowden left the hatchery (manager hatchery) I had plenty of discussions with him regarding the matter. Also, Andrew Hamilton works there as well, he visits this site at times, and he like many others does not tow the culling line. Ken felt quite strongly about that, and there has never been a rule where you must take the big fish.
    Cheers
    Jas

He also understands where this mis-information is coming from, there are quite a few issues at the van park,but Im not going to go into it.

Sounds intrigueing, and I understand your reluctance. Starting to make a little sense though from that angle.

If I do get anything worthwhile back, I'll post it.

cheers
    rob

Rob, yep your onto it.
    You dont have to look far on this site to find out what Im talking about.
    JW

And just to add, Paul and Navi - People like you will take this fishery into the history books. If it continues on its current path, records will fall, the Barra will have a chance to live to their full life expectancy of 20+years.
    I wouldnt like to guess what they will weigh then????
    And 20kg Mangrove Jacks???? Sheet I wont be swimming in there when that happens!
    Cheers
    Jas

Pardon my niavety but if a cull was necessary is it possible to remove the fish live and transfer to the fresh water system outside of the dam to boost natural breeding stocks? Thinking in terms of competition times.

Gents,

Have been a bit slack with keeping up to date on this topic but I can't believe the sager continues. Surely there are enough common sense fishermen out there to ignore the promotion of fish culling - full stop! The only fish culling that should be done is on carp and tilapia, as well as other noxious species. Barra along with Murray Cod are 2 great aust icons - (up there with Steve Irwin

Jason, I truley understand your stance on this. Even though only being a visitor to the dam, I feel some conscience and connection with the place and responsibility to maintain the fishery and it's resources. Being a "local" I can't imagine how pee'd off you'd be with these "un-educated" views. BTW - I have no problem whatsoever with anglers wishing to keep a feed if they enjoy the taste or to even try one. Personally, I wouldn't be spending hundreds of dollars doing a trip to the dam to catch barra for eating, I'd rather spend $10 on a pack of prawns or worms and chase whiting or flathead - IF YOU LIKE TO KEEP YOU FREEZER FULL LIKE THE GOOD OL DAYS!

People also tend to forget that these opinions were first introduced years ago when Barra fingerlings were being stocked at a few millimetres and not 25-30cms. The predation by bigger barra on these fish isn't as common as the predation with smaller barra eating the fingerlings. It isn't worth the effort for big barra to chase little ones and as Jason mentioned. The food source in Awoonga is staggering compared to other dams and there has been no evidence supporting the culling practise! Any Barra in Awoonga is un-safe until they reach about 50+cms (and even then there's no guarantee), so they only have to avoid predation for a couple of years before they themselves become predators - survival of the fittest! or fatest in this case.

As much as I like catching Barra of all sizes, the most memorable ones are either the unstoppables that blow you away or the metre plus fish. As you say Jason, if this fishery continues the way it is and fish get to live their life expectancy of 20yrs, 100lb's and 150cms fish won't be uncommon.

Who wouldn't want that!

Jason - keep up the great work mate because it doesn't fall on deaf ears and is appreciated by the majority - we know who will benefit in the long term.

Navi,Paul and co.
    Well said, with guys like you fishing these impoundments, they will only continue to get better. It really is a simple solution to a question isnt it?
    I guess seeing this stuff happen reg, it takes the shine off things a bit, and for people who are wondering what I mean, consider it was the fishery on your back step.
    Seeing dead fish, some with tiny slabs taken off the side of a huge fish, that has been dumped at the ramp, gets a little hard to bear. Sulo bins full of Barra also sucks.
    Without sounding like a tree hugging extremist, they are beautiful creatures. They have evolved to do extremely well in an artificial environment..................and are thriving.
    I dig them, and they continually suprise me with their habits,feeding patterns and attitude.
    Come one, come all, its a fab fishery that will blow your mind. Its there for everyone to use.
    Just use common sense when handling them if they are intended for release. I do understand that no matter what you do sometimes, they may not come good.
    Good fishing to anyone who ventures.

PS Navi,Hope the Millerod Camofish has been getting a workout!
    Cheers
    JW

I'd rather spend $10 on a pack of prawns or worms and chase whiting or flathead - IF YOU LIKE TO KEEP YOU FREEZER FULL LIKE THE GOOD OL DAYS!

Hey lay off the whiting, they're aussies too ya know

Hey Robyoung1,

Sorry mate, didn't mean to offend. I thought you were a bream man
    I cut my teeth on whiting so love 'em as much as any fish. They just taste a lot better then Barra - if only they grew to the same size

JW - Boof stick was awesome. I will send you a PM later.

Cheers and tight lines
    Navi

Hey Rob, don't worry about Navi....he offends everyone Jokes Nav, jokes mate!

Jas....it's your fault we both got the Boof Sticks Just waiting for Columbia to bring out a range of camouflage shirts/pants and we will look the part as well Seriously though, they are great sticks and Nav did most of the negotiating with Ian and found him a delight to deal with. They are a great investment, I just wish I got to use mine more. Did Starling lose his Hi Roller in Awoonga recently?..if I'd known that before we went up there, we would have put the really deep divers on and trolled harder lol.

Cheers
    Paul

Ren - get out the snorkelling gear

Quote Originally Posted by black_sheep
    Ren - get out the snorkelling gear

[quote author=Big_Ren link=1161000621/30#41 date=1161743958]Did Starling lose his Hi Roller in Awoonga recently?..if I'd known that before we went up there, we would have put the really deep divers on and trolled harder lol.

/quote]

Nah he lost his at Maningrida in Arnhemland.

I lost one at Awoonga recently though
    Lost for words.................
    Jas