Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: @Why kill The Big One's?

Re: @Why kill The Big One's?

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder06
    On a recent trip to awonga I was amazed at the amount of big fish being killed. The eating qualitys of these fish is poor to say the least, you can cook them any way you like, You will still get the same result. I think there is nothing better than catch a metre plus fish, take a few snaps and watch it swim away to fight another day. The next time it is caught it might be the fish of someone's dreams "remember your first big one".There were recent reports of a fish 140cm plus, if the killing keeps up at this rate this will only be a dream. I might just be getting soft but to me this seems to a wast of a great creature.
    It seems to me that we see this type of thread on weekly basis on this forum and, in one corner, you have the 'release everything you catch' brigade and then you have the 'i'll catch my bag limit' brigade as well as everthing else in between. Awoonga is a stocked impoundment and therefore taking the odd fish will not hurt. I was saddened as well as a few others to see pictures of a line of dead barra from the Tinaroo comp but I see no problem with taking the odd fish from these impoundments. I personally see trophy fish as a waste but that is my opinion and I will not criticise someone else for doing it.

During my trip to Awoonga in Sept, my mother caught a 111cm barra and was keen to keep the fish for eating. I advised against it as we have told by many that they are ordinary to eat. Anyway the fish was kept and it tasted good. We had a few meals while we were up there and barra was given to my family when we arrived back in Brissie and they all said it tasted good as well. I think we made about 20 meals out of the one fish. If I personally caught a large barra I would return it to the water but that is a personal choice and no one should feel guilty for keeping one, no matter the size.

I did hear a story about someone collecting their bag limit of barra for feeding the dogs so I guess there has to be common sense otherwise if everyone caught their bag limit the fishery could suffer but I am no expert and Awoonga is currently thriving even with the attention it is currently getting. IMO

cheers
    Raymond

Over two million barra have been stocked into awoonga over the years so i have no problem with anglers taking a fish as long as it isn't wasted.
    Kept one myself and quite enjoyed it, not a scrap was wasted.
    Would,t take more than one though.

Hi Guys i thought i may well put my 2 bobs worth in, my mate and i fished the full moon in oct, and here is what we found in the kill table bin.Now i dont mind people keeping a feed or one for the wall but these 2 were in the bin scaled and not one piece of flesh removed just thrown away.

sorry about the pic quality but was late at night and didnt really have a good look at review.

sorry guys how do you attach pic without the size being so big

In the help section is a link to a bit of magic that will let you re size pics.
    cheers
    Brian