Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2x17 Year Old Brothers Win the ABT Barra Series

2x17 Year Old Brothers Win the ABT Barra Series

If you haven't heard the results of the Barra Tour that finished at Monduran Dam on the weekend here goes.

Cy and Kerrin Taylor cam first and second in the Championship. Well done guys.

They proved that you don't need 30+ years fishing experience to be a good barra fisho and that you don't need a flash new expensive boat to win either. They have a nice 14foot tinny matched with a 25hp motor - so those of you with a tinny need not fear joining in the fun of fishing Barra Comps.

It was a pleasure camping next to you guys and we will catchup when we head north - hopefully for 2 weeks around Xmas to hit all the Barra Dams. We learn't a lot from these 2 keen young fisho's.

What does everyone else think of the Barra tour and success of the younger generation?

If you fished the comps what did you learn and can you share it with fellow Ausfishers who travel many a mile to catch the mighty Barra????

The most interesting fact our group of fisho friends were happy to see confirmed were the hours per fish ratio. eg the average hours when dividing the fish caught by the hours fished. Figures of 12-18 hours per fish popped up which really rammed home how hard many barra fisho's must do it on some trips (this is never really reported) so it's nice to get a real average posted by pro's so everyone can work off that for their own trips etc)

It was interesting to see good fisho's get no fish a couple of 16 hour nights in a row then go really well in the next comp. Right time right place might still have it's place in comps but you make your own luck as well.

We camped next to one group of fisho's at Awoonga when the going was a little tough for many a good fisho and they got on to a spot on the last night that had 20 fish jump on the line in a 10m stretch and lost 20 after only landing 1 fish in the previous 5 days. Geee.

The average hour per fish helps you can judge how well or how bad you are really going ha and how much you need to improve to mix it with the best in the AbT Tour etc.

We think this is important so that fisho's who go up there and do it tough - don't come home feeling like failures (after reading articles etc)- they feel better and plan future trips with friends and families which keeps the whole fishing industry from boating to servo's going well all the way up Qld etc.

What do you think fellow Ausfishers?

Cheers SeekingBarradise

Re: 2x17 Year Old Brothers Win the ABT Barra Serie

They have that special skill..them two...And Its hard to get a word out of them ....What did l learn ?Well unless you modify sickrigs you seem to lose fish .... Fishing seemed to be a hit and miss... if you were in the right place right time you where on....Team Mundi ended up Second overall.... thanks to Brad and Scott.... Me 5th in the A.O.Y...Johnny M told me and told me Hardbodys Hardbodys...More pin points...Scott learnt ...went back to them and won Awoonga....Lots of good guys good events roll on next year
    Kids need models, more than they need critics."
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand."
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Im keen to do the rounds next year, will use this year as my learning year

What are the rules etc and i would need a partner yeh?
    How many events are there and where do they cover?

Interested in the bass and barra.

All you need to know about the ABT tournaments can be found at

http://www.australianbarra.com.au/
    http://www.australianbass.com.au/html/index.php
    http://www.bream.com.au/html/index.php

Also you can get a tournament angler guide from any decent newsagent which shows when all the tournaments are on and all the rules for each species. All 3 series are great fun and can definitely fill a fishing year with tournaments from bass electrics to basspro to bream and then barra tournaments.

Rob

joined their site and looking forward to it!!

blood_rod

HI there SeekingBarradise;
    It seems to me that you must need to get all your best fishing in when you are still young ,as when we all seem to get a few years on us, we seem to miss all the good fish.

"So much for being a pro with years of experience"
    Maybe i should stop watching all those TV shows on fishing and start listening to my kids for tips on how to hook that big one.

Ha i agree Blooded Rod ha.

We might be taking some little tackers (relations) up there but i'm dreading it as i'm sure the little tackers will hook a metre fish straight up and we will be working our aaa'sss off to get a fish ha it's always the way and even worse the thin fish pic rule comes in to it ha.

The bigger you are the smaller a fish looks. 5-9 year olds will make a metre barra look Huugeee- well they could hide behind it in the photo ha.

Even worse they could grow up real quick and whip us in all the comps for a good 10+ years before they even hit 20 years of age!!! If current trends are anything to go by!!!

On the other side of the equasion "Mammoth" who i fished with up there last time made a 107cm Barra look like a sardine!!!! You should see how small he made a 55cm barra look - i had to check if it was a jungle perch!

He's thinking of making a new rule on his boat - the thinnest guy holds up his barra to make it look bigger ha then take the photo's but chop the head off and put his on there LOL.

Aaaahhhh it will be fun and it's what it's all about - introducing new people to the outdoors and barra fishing.

Cheers SB

Thanks for taking the time to give us some Feedback Awoonga - well done with your results they were hard earned. We agree you do lose a lot of fish with standard plastics.

See you on a Barra Dam one day.

Cheers SB

Congrats to the Taylor Boys, a well deserved win. A couple of very passionate anglers with the just rewards for a lot of hardwork!

As for the tour I'd encourage everyone to 'have a go'. IMHO the value in these events is not the prize money (although it does come in handy) but the wealth of knowledge freely available and the opportunity to meet a great bunch of people and improve your fishing skills.

SB, pleasure to meet you and your better half in the stormy weather at Monduran. Regarding hours per fish etc IMHO it really depends on the anglers aptitude and skills. Barra fishing changes day to day and sometimes hour by hour! It's up to the angler to recognize the current situation and fish it accordingly, anglers that fail to change or try new things will be less consistent. To do develop these skills you cannnot underestimate the value of time on the water and knowledge bases such as this forum. Fishing these competitions and chartering a guide can also accelerate learnings.

Awoonga, hopefully a safe trip home...no trees jumping out in front of you

Cheers
    Matt C

Matt,

Quote - 'As for the tour I'd encourage everyone to 'have a go'.

Too right! It's so much fun.

We were wondering what you were fishing during the Monduran rounds to land those barramundi?

See you at the 2007 Barra Tour, or some time at Peter Faust Dam!

Cy and Kerrin Taylor
    Whitsundays QLD

Hi Matt C it was great to catchup we look forward to catching up again in the future - Thanks for the Barra Info keep it coming.

Cheers SB

Mad_Barry

Congrats on the win boys

We were down at Faust a few days before the ABT comp, and it was tough fishing.

(by the way, top photo that one ^ good to see some imaginative pics about the place)

Cy & Kerrin,

Fished hardbodies (Koolabung and Shad Rap) in and around structure in about 20ft of water. The barra were high in the water column in the early morning and were quite aggressive, as the morning wore on the fish went deeper and a suspending Shad Rap slowly twitched and paused frequently produced the hits.
    White knuckle stuff in and amongst the timber and the attrition rate was quite high with only one in four being landed!

Look forward to catching up with you guys next year!

Dicko, when are we going to Faust ??

Cheers
    Matt C

Mad_Barry

Matt, I'm pretty flat with work & the usual end of year breakups with the kids sports & what have you until after the weekend of the 16th/17th Dec. Then I'm pulling a bit of time off over xmas, Give us a yodel when you're back in town.

Will do mate, I hear things are finally starting to warm up down there as well, bring on the surface action!!

Matt C