Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 148cm Barra caught and released at Awoonga

Re: 148cm Barra caught and released at Awoonga

Great looking fish. They'll be breaking the 160cm mark soon. Its every barra fishermans holly grail, to land a big fish like that. And it takes a bigger person not to go around bragging about it and looking for the glory. Good on ya guys. Great capture and even better that she's still swimming for me to catch in a week and a halfs time.
    Billyboy [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I don't understand what all the controversy is about, if ya don't believe fish of that size are in awoonga your kidding yourself, i know of two guys that have caught 1.5metre fish in the saltwater side of the Fitzroy river, also some good accounts of 1.7metre fish caught in nets by professionals, not everbodies into the brag sessions, fishing for me is a personal challenge and i don't think i would be on my own in saying that, good luck to the guy for a great catch, i for one have no trouble believing his story,
    Cheers Nomad62

Big_J

I agree Nomad62 last year in December a was at monduran and the barra were on a hot bite one afternoon.When we got back to camp we got chatting to two old blokes in a 10 foot tinny and they said the were trolling and hooked up to a barra that was too heavy to pull into the boat and they it was at least half the length of the boat which would put it at 5ft or around 1.50mtrs and they both said it is no word of a lie.
    Regard Big J

This 1.5m barra is no doubt true at Monduran ,about 4-5 years ago I had a barra come all the way to the boat it would have been at least 1100 maybe more it hit the lure to snap me off like I was useing cotton as a leader.
    That barra is the reason that I keep going back!

PETE Mate.

I cant believe there are so many doubters out there...

"have to see it on a bragmat to believe it"..."its a nessy"

wake up and have a look at the picture!!!

All you have to do is sit in a position similar to the guy holding the fish and run a tape measure past your feet (by the approx length of a barra tail) and take the measurement to just below your chest.

I am just under 6' tall, and when I did the tape measure thing the measurement came to 140cm. And considering the guy in the photo doesnt appear to be of short stature it would seem obvious that this is a legit fish.

To me it sounds like all the doubting thomas's out there are just in denial because it wasnt them who caught it! The ol "It wasnt me who did it, so I dont believe it!"

CONGRATULATIONS to the lucky angler...not many of us get to encounter a true fish of a lifetime like that...no matter how hard we try.

So once again...all the doubters out there...get a grip, or better yet, get ya hand off it!

I agree totally Leigh77.... you hit the nail right on the head with those comments.

You know, we can only wonder just how big these freshwater fish are gonna get....... not

just length, but

the weight factor...... saltwater fish are normally leaner, than that of impoundment fish.

However, i've seen a 1.5mtr saltwater fish in the flesh.....and it was a bulky fish of around 30kgs plus,

i would imagine that its impoundment cousin would be even heavier....combine this with lots

of timber and submerged snags.....Scaaaaary!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, one thing i bet we all can agree on....there's gonna be some great fishing in the seasons to

come!!!!!

Cheers Nomad62

Funny Stuff -We think this topic has run it's due course - time for a new one!!

After reading the 4 pages of posts on this subject again you have to have a good old LOL!! We don't think people asking if it was a real fish were being offensive. No judge in the country would be expected to believe every fishing story etc (yes now judges are in to the debate LOL)

There are so many stories about Awoonga floating around SEQ that it's hard to get true info down here - you only have to walk in to a tackle shop after 2 barra are put on the covers of our fishing magazines to see a shop full of new & old fishos buying only barra gear to travel to the Barra Dams spending thousands all the way up the Bruce Highway. Reports have a big effect down here.

Like any Potential World Record it will attract attention. In athletics the athlete will be drug tested right away (no trust there) and we think with a world record barra people just wanted a Measured photo - no stress thats all. No offence mean't etc.

All of page 4's questions are answered on page 3!! The debate has changed - nobody would doubt that fish get that big as set out in detail on page 3.
    __________________________________________________ _____

Lets have a laugh. So far we have had SWAT, CSI, Forensics, Rangers, Sisters-mothers-cousins-fathers-uncles-brothers verify the story is real. GGGG thats a line up - just to chat about barra!!!

Seaworld has just called and wants to set up an enclosure for the big fish that even has a name now "The Lock Ness Monster" ha as they heard Navy Seals are currently diving Awoonga to track down that fish.
    The fish is then booked in to the AIS to be Drug tested!!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's time to talk about catfish!! Look for the Catfish Post in the chat section. Who has caught the biggest catfish - Impoundment or Natural??

We kick off with a 73cm model caught at Monduran 2 weeks ago by an unlucky fisho who thought it was a barra ha!!!! Lets keep this chat positive and have some fun.

So show us your Catfish!!!! on the Catfish Chat not here.

Cheers SB

All in good fun! It wouldn't be a fishing story if there wasn't someone stirring the pot. Yes I'm jealous, very jealous, and yes I haven't come close to scoring one that big, yet!
    Saw one of a similar size in the Mowbray River just south of Port Douglas once, #thought it was a big grouper at first, so there is no doubt in my mind they grow that big and bigger

I'm not into records and competitions and all that jazz, but it it was my fish there would be a ton of photos to go with it, to keep those doubting thomas' at bay

Regards

Richo

Richo

What a fish....there seems to be a lot of ppl doubting this though?? If it is as big as they say, which i think is true..would this be the biggest caught at this place? or have there been bigger?

my 11 year old son has photos of a 105cm monster from calide look at 11 year old cracks the metre first trip