Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 148cm Barra caught and released at Awoonga

148cm Barra caught and released at Awoonga

Wasnt me unfortunately but Sunday night proved to be a pretty good night for a lot of people at Awoonga. News filtered through the camp at Willowgrove on Monday morn that a 148cm monster was caught and released. Can anyone else confirm this report?

Mark

Re: 148cm Barra caught and released at Awoonga

The ranger up there measured a 142 cm Barra on Sunday. Thats the biggest out of there at the moment.
    Paul McNaught

Call me a sceptic but no photo of such a fish,i no belive. If such a fish was caught it would be in the paper or magazine so if it was caught look for it in B&B or fishing mag, just think that with Awoonga being that dam thats always getting positive publicty and strives for bragging rights it will be in a magazine?

I hope to see it in this months issues. love to see awoonga bench mark rise up there.
    and if it was caught good on the fisho.

Cheers TT

was told by my local tackle shop that it was weighed and measured at a tackle shop in Rocky (owned by the same person) still haven't seen a pic though.....it is entirely possible

themisses

Might be a stupid question, but here goes. How do you keep a fish that size alive, weigh it in, take it back and then release it?? I would imagine it would be pretty stressful on the fish.
    Cheers Kim.

darryl_l

Kim,

Have everything ready on the boat; Weigh the fish in the net as you bring it on board then reduce weight of net from total. Have brag mat on the floor ready to slide fish out of the net straight on to to measurement have camera on and ready for pics then get the fish back over the side and in the water. Maximum time should be less than 3 minutes.

Darryl L

yeah but from benaraby to rocky thats a long time out of the water

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

We're there with TT - we won't believe it til we see it. And we still haven't seen the pic of the 45kg fish that was supposed to have been caught there months back. No doubt fish probably can grown this size and will but let's face it - if you catch a fish that big you will be taking more pix than a Japanese tourist!! Linton is a great ranger up at Awoonga - who wants to give him a call to confirm the "monster" that lurks beneath. lol It's funny how all these stories of "monster" barra all seem to come from the one dam and not long before big comps are about to be on.

What does everyone else think?

Couldnt care less myself, let the media machine do its job and take all the money of the Mexicans who seem to hover all over the joint.

I dont mind the Mexicans spending thier money up here but for crying out loud someone please remind to go back home when they have spent it all.

themisses

Sorry Darryl, I didn't make it real clear. I was refering to the the post above the said it had been weighed in a Rocky. I don't imagine you could release it after that??
    Those photos would be going "straight to the pool room" and oh and to ausfish.
    If it is true don't thing I'd be letting kids swim there. Barra might think they're a popper.
    Cheers Kim.

I'd easily believe it.

I saw a pic of a barra from a lake in NQ, caught by a mate who wishes to remain anon. The barra was 150 something long, with a 176cm girth. Estimated weight was over the 100lb mark. Caught from the bank peggin' lures, took over 2 hours to land.

That was a few years ago now, I saw several pics & was asked to deleted them when done looking.

Some folks arent after the limelight & just like to keep plodding along at their own thing.

I caught a 123cm barra one day @ Faust & was stoked, 3 cast later I got mauled 10 feet from the boat by the biggest bloody barra I've ever seen. Was a heck of alot bigger than the 123 a few minutes previous. It just kept going, & destroyed my feeble attempts to even slow it let alone stop it through those trees. At a guess it would have been around the size described in the original post.

I'd certainly believe its possible & will go even further by saying that IMHO the reported (mythical) 1800 maximum size of barra is going to be a real chance of being hooked soon.

Good on 'em if the did get a fish this big,,,, I'll fess up & say I'm envious.

Cheers,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Someone ring the ranger, PLEASE!!! so we can find out the truth and hopefully he will have so photos.

Just got off the phone with Linton, Barra was 142.5cm caught & released at Awoonga Sunday. Also mentioned a 51cm Mangrove Jack caught & released last week............

I think you'll find that barra was only104.8cm if it's the one I think it is, from Rocky tackle shop.
    A barra of 148cm would be big news, front page news in Gladstone, just like all the other local record fish that come from Awoonga. Just another myth at present I think, but barra of that size are thought to be in the lake.
    If a ranger weighed a fish that big, we locals would know about it?

John.

its true.. 142cm

you see pics soon..

most likely the front of the paper, sometime this week.