Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 148cm Barra caught and released at Awoonga

Re: 148cm Barra caught and released at Awoonga

Food For Thought!!!

I see a recent John Mondora (I think it's the Nile Perch catching legend himself) wrote that the world record for Barra is still held by Dave Powell of Edmonton = caught at Tineroo with a great fish of 37.85kgs (83.27lbs) and yes pics to prove it ha. #In the latest fishing paper up there. #I got it in Brisbane so look and you should be able to find it.

John goes on to say there is a 127 pounder 57.72kgs caught and recorded from Mornington Island and John has seen a 92 pounder 41.81kgs as a kid himself. #He has to be one of only a few Aussies who have actually seen huge fish like barra (Nile perch) +bigger so his experiences have to be respected.

We heard about the electrofished 50+ kg fish at Tineroo on the radio last year - also some talk of a 1.7m fish way up in the gulf but no pics for both - however possible. #Also chat every few months of PNG barra in remote areas being huge with a massive head of a Barra on a wall that is reported to be Huge. #Again radio talk - no pics - but possible.

Some old NT station managers have seen 104 and 75 pounders on the scales - im sure they have some old photos around.

Another report of a Darwin Barra with a huge chunk missing from a shark that still measured a 100+cm.

The fishing charts say the Barra Grow to 52kgs which would have to prove someone caught one that big? Or does it LOL? #This one is the most likely to be true so maybe someone could chase up the guys who make the charts - the wall sized ones with the freshwater native species.

I see the record Nile Perch is 232kgs (510lbs) geeseee and Lake Nasser has a record of 176kgs (392lbs) yikes this fish was 6'2 long and had a girth of 4'11. #Have a look at 20 fish from 179lbs to 230lbs with a simple Google search for nassersafari. # The pics tell the stories.

Talk to some old guys from Bundy and they would bet their houses to prove there have been 1.4 to 1.6m fish caught in Monduran. #There were rumours 4 weeks of a 1.4m caught at Monduran - no pics though but it got to the kiosk so maybe they could shed some light on this one. #Some old guys couldn't get a fish in to a little tinny Early this year - the boat next to them said it was half as long as the tinny ha

I would love to hear what John Mondora and Rod Harrison have to say at a fireplace regarding the biggest barra they have ever seen? #Now that would be an interesting chat. #

We had the honor of meeting rod while we were attacking the winter barra at Awoonga to improve our skills in tough conditions. 5 mins of chatting to him and we learnt more than any other article we have ever read over a lifetime x 100. #He is just amazing to talk to and if anyone gets the opportunity say hi to him and you will be in for the Barra chat of your life. #He talks the way articles should be written. # You will never look at another report the same again wow.

He is without doubt one of the smartest fishos in Aus if not the world and if you put him on a dam he has never fished before (the true test of a fisho) he would be the hardest of fisho's to beat - we saw him go 5 hours straight casting without a single pause for a break - not one pause. #He is the Barra Guru -yet very humble.

Anyway I hope this keeps the big barra stories going.

All the best to the fishos on here that chase the big one - good luck if you are fishing the Barra Comps in the next 2 weeks - just make sure you take a pic LOL - but then again what would we have to chat about LOL.

All the best - SeekingBarradise

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingBarradise
    Food For Thought!!!

I see a recent John Mondora (I think it's the Nile Perch catching legend himself) wrote that the world record for Barra is still held by Dave Powell of Edmonton = caught at Tineroo with a great fish of 37.85kgs (83.27lbs) and yes pics to prove it ha. #In the latest fishing paper up there. #I got it in Brisbane so look and you should be able to find it.

John goes on to say there is a 127 pounder 57.72kgs caught and recorded from Mornington Island and John has seen a 92 pounder 41.81kgs as a kid himself. #He has to be one of only a few Aussies who have actually seen huge fish like barra (Nile perch) +bigger so his experiences have to be respected.

We heard about the electrofished 50+ kg fish at Tineroo on the radio last year - also some talk of a 1.7m fish way up in the gulf but no pics for both - however possible. #Also chat every few months of PNG barra in remote areas being huge with a massive head of a Barra on a wall that is reported to be Huge. #Again radio talk - no pics - but possible.

Some old NT station managers have seen 104 and 75 pounders on the scales - im sure they have some old photos around.

Another report of a Darwin Barra with a huge chunk missing from a shark that still measured a 100+cm.

The fishing charts say the Barra Grow to 52kgs which would have to prove someone caught one that big? Or does it LOL? #This one is the most likely to be true so maybe someone could chase up the guys who make the charts - the wall sized ones with the freshwater native species.

I see the record Nile Perch is 232kgs (510lbs) geeseee and Lake Nasser has a record of 176kgs (392lbs) yikes this fish was 6'2 long and had a girth of 4'11. #Have a look at 20 fish from 179lbs to 230lbs with a simple Google search for nassersafari. # The pics tell the stories.

Talk to some old guys from Bundy and they would bet their houses to prove there have been 1.4 to 1.6m fish caught in Monduran. #There were rumours 4 weeks of a 1.4m caught at Monduran - no pics though but it got to the kiosk so maybe they could shed some light on this one. #Some old guys couldn't get a fish in to a little tinny Early this year - the boat next to them said it was half as long as the tinny ha

I would love to hear what John Mondora and Rod Harrison have to say at a fireplace regarding the biggest barra they have ever seen? #Now that would be an interesting chat. #

We had the honor of meeting rod while we were attacking the winter barra at Awoonga to improve our skills in tough conditions gggg 5 mins chatting to him and we learnt more than any other article we have ever read over a lifetime x 100. #He is just amazing to talk to and if anyone gets the opportunity say hi to him and you will be in for the Barra chat of your life. #He talks the way articles should be written. # You will never look at another report the same again wow.

He is without doubt one of the smartest fishos in Aus if not the world and if you put him on a dam he has never fished before (the true test of a fisho) he would be the hardest of fisho's to beat - we saw him go 5 hours straight casting without a single pause for a break - not one pause. #He is the Barra Guru -yet very humble.

Anyway I hope this keeps the big barra stories going.

All the best to the fishos on here that chase the big one - good luck if you are fishing the Barra Comps in the next 2 weeks - just make sure you take a pic LOL - but then again what would we have to chat about LOL.

All the best - SeekingBarradise
    OK LOL

Hi bazzmundi you have a sense of humour - good to see.

Lets catchup when you are on a Barra Dam and share a yarn face to face instead of on cyberspace!

We joined up here to meet likeminded people into their barra fishing.

It will be easy to spot us ha i'll be fishing with a 135kg strongman you can't miss him ha he blocks the sun out on the boat after 2pm!! so lets catchup on a barra dam one day if we cross paths as we are always up for a chat.

Till then best of luck chasing the big ones. Cheers SeekingBarradise

Here it is then got the pic of a mate of mine who is Gary's relative
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

Hi Griz066 thanks for putting up a pic.

Gee it looks like a nice fish - not as fat as we thought it would be - it looks to be in good condition.

It looks like a long fish for sure. Any photos of it on a Brag matt?

Cheers SeekingBarradise

mike_edwards

[right] Surprisingly enough I have only just become aware of the banter that surrounds this story. As it happens me & two of my boy were just 200 metres from where "that fish" was taken.We were in the middle of a hot bite,it was full oct. moon night about 1 hr. after moon rise.We were slow elec. trolling when we heard muted crys of jubilation coming from our sister ship. Not wanting to upset our own chances of hooking up, we slowly trolled in Their direction, but alas,by the time we had reached them the fish had been released,
    It is true that the fish was caught on a classic lure w/. upgrade 6x hooks 60 lb Genki leader on 56 lb whiplash attached to shimano carardo miller rod combo. #
    The complete story is just one of many awoonga classics which I have had the pleasure of sharing with the bloke in question. And while we are talking about the bloke in question I am compelled to say in his defense,Ive known him for 20 years and in that time "not once" has his ethical practice or integrity been called into question. He is a straight shootin, son of a gun who I have trusted with each & every one of my own six yes six precious children.
    On that fateful night between us we boated 4 metre + fish and dropped a couple more. And unless his legs are extremely short, it is clearly a very big fish. Anyway suffice to say it was, and will always remain, just another classic awoonga story. Believe it or not ? # #

Thanks for the info Mike.

Surely a photo was taken when it was measured by the Ranger?

Just want to see the fish on a measuring tape because every fishing shop i go in to in Brissy doesn't believe anything unless they see the tape ha. It would be nice to know how big the fish are getting in Awoonga right now!

Surely someone on here is a mate of Garry the ranger who measured it?

There is no way it would have hit a measuring tape as a record fish without a photo being taken!!

Someone please find that photo ha.

Cheers SB

mike_edwards

hey non belivers out there,

On "that special night" dad my brother and I were 200 meters away from the bloke who caght the fish at the time we herd all the comotion going #on, 10-15 minutes later I saw this bohimath fish being slowly brought down to the waters edge and it was MASSIVE!. I can say that they measured the fish three times just to be sure of its actual length. Its a shame that the photos dont show the actual length of the fish, its a lesson 4 all others who catch big barra in awoonga #take a photo that shows actual size.
    so i say please show me a photo of jesus??? then im a beliver #
    cody E

This Barra sounds like a 'nessy'. A urban myth that people talk about. Would love to see the photos if it is true.

The Barra park in Bli Bli, Qld has a Barra like that, that has been tagged and you get a prize if you can catch it... something like a grand or something.
    " Put a beer in one hand and a rod in the other and We're in Heaven! "

to all you sceptics the fish was 142.5cm and it was'nt weighed because it was released after being measured 4 times laying the fish on a tape and then released after only a couple of pics. the man who caught the fish did'nt want it all over the media but the truth of the matter is who cares what the sceptics think the bloke who caught the big fish knows how big it was and thats all that matters.

i would like to know where you's get your facts from but i can tell you I did not weigh the fish so get your facts right next time.

Well said Gary!

A great C&R capture... if she'd been caught in Tinaroo, chances are it would have been on ice in 10mins &gt; Bloody cullers

Doesn't really matter what it measured, it's as clear as daylight to see that the fish is of great size, and thats all an angler wants.
    TT

Like Mike I've known Tav for a lot of years,he's a very unassuming type of bloke,if he said it was that length then it was,simple as that,I could have tracked the pic down ages ago but decided against it because of the doubting Thomas's.

Measured 4 times and no photo? definately a "Nessy"

Quote Originally Posted by Richo1
    Measured 4 times and no photo? #definately a "Nessy" #
    if you look at the posts there is a photo....Had a friend of mine in forensic have a look at it..... the photo that is....Head/ body.... Fisherman.... boat structure.....This guy has been doing this for twenty years so should know his stuff....Estimated length of the fish......Between 145.5 to 147.6
    Kids need models, more than they need critics."
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand."
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand