Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mutated Bass

Mutated Bass

I have caught a few of these bass lately that are missing most of their top lip. Does anyone know what the go is?
    They all seem to be from the same generation because they are of similar size. These were all caught in the Tweed.

Pete.

Re: Mutated Bass

looks like a diseas going around in the water or some sort of chemical spill not quite sure

Who knows mate, could be anything. Might be those certain Bass where ever they are! Might just be a generic thing? Like the white blotches occuring on Sooty Grunter from time to time... but who knows.

Possibility #458 = Some one has caught those certain fish before you and they dont know how to use Boga Grips properly?.

If i come across a little strange this evening... its the -3 temperature we are expereincing!

Theo
    TT

Are they ill tempered?

They look perfectly healthy apart from the lip thing so don't think it's chemical spill. I think it is genetic.

They are also ill tempered.

have caught them with extra long fins which look weird but that takes the cake. dunno!!!!!!!!! cheers bdowdy

no jeremy, they are not doctor evils mutant sea bass. with lasers on their heads.

Matthias,
    They're probably a genetic mutation from a batch of fingerlings released into the dam. this is the good and the bad with fish stocking. If the brood stock has an inherent dodgy gene.........it gets repeated 10million times over in the breeding program. only really a problem if the mutants are fertile and if they find their way out of the dam (which i suspect they have) then they are released to breed and further spread their dodgy genes. hopefully the mutation will not necessarily result in a new generation of hair lipped bass with cleft a palete

something to think about.

cheers, Roo.

Fished the tweed for a long time now. First started seeing them approx 10-12 years ago. Probably 1 out of 30 we catch have this. I think it could be on of 2 things. As already mentioned, the possible stocked fish coming from Clarrie Hall or even nets strung across the rivers. Seen many a netter working the area around Murwillumbah at night during spawing seasons?????? Easy way to pull a bass from a net would be to sacrifice it's upper lip.

WE see it in the odd stocked bass in SEQ. Initially we thought it was a genetic thing, but we now lean towards the idea that when we handle the fry / fingerlings at the hatchery & at release we pick hundreds up at a time in flour sieves. WE think that we're tearing their little lips off at that point.

No proof, but it is a definate possibility.

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

I have been told of a dam on the NSW/VIC border that was basically all bass with no top lip. Not sure how true this is but it seems that these lipless bass are a result of stocked fish only. Has anyone caught them in unstocked rivers?

pete

The original stockings of lake baroon bass had a small percentage of "Wendy Harmers" as paul so aptly called them. I like the idea that they were roughly treated in scoop nets as juveniles but we assumed at the time that it was genetic.

This one looks genetic to me. Caught it in the spinach.

Quote Originally Posted by gidget
    This one looks genetic to me. Caught it in the spinach.
    Have seen a few of those runts before Gidget. Those, I'm fairly certain, are genetic variations or mutations.

fitz..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

BassCowboy

Fitzy,
    I was fishing somerset 2 weeks ago, caught a yellowbelly with a red fleshy looking growth on its first 3 dorsal spines, looked like a disease of some sort the fish was approx 1.5kg, other htan the fins the fish was obviously healthy. Has this been seen before,

Cheers
    Chris