Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Straightened Hooks Thats Fishing

scott_b

Re: Straightened Hooks Thats Fishing

3rd ever barra hook up 6x vmc and halco rings on a new lure 12 min later 107 cm and got a pic of the fish, heres the lure. The back hook had to be left in the fish.
    # # wamjam

I often replace factory standard hooks after they have had some time and action in the water. Most of the fish I target don't mangle gear, but having said that on one or two occasions I have seen a few of my trebles and lures mangled by jacks. I see the value in better hooks and i carry spares and split rings in my tackle box. But replacing them straight out of the packet, now I feel like i being wasteful.

Also, can anyone tell me if they flatten out the barbs on their trebles for fish conservation and safety? I am warming to the idea. After having put a treble through my thumb i see value in flattening them, do you?
    Not enough time in the day, to many spots to fish!

Roydsy, starting to do that now with my sp jigs for the lizards, makes c & r a heap easier and quicker, which has to be good for the fish.
    I have worn a few hooks over the years, worst being a 6/0 thru the finger with 7 kilos of knobby hanging off the other hooks in the gang, and every time I swear I will flatten ALL barbs on my hooks, but still dont do it.

Sorry, side track to the original thread.
    Upgrade terminal tackle or suffer the consequences eventually.
    Mid size barra did this

Dont have to be big fish to stretch owners. Ive caught plenty of sub 70's that open up ST 66TN owners. It doesnt always come down to how hard you pull on them, as already stated jaw pressure is the force at play here, open water or in the jungle.

"Straightened hooks thats fishing"? To me its not. Poor preperation? Yes purely and simply in my book.
    Process of weak link elimination will change the odds to your favour.
    Its a long way to travel for a lot of people (even the 20 minutes is too far for me!) only to be let down by dodgy terminals.

I personally wont accept "acceptable loss" to something that Im in control of.
    There are too many other variables that work against you in any given scenario.

TT, understand your point regarding the hard sell............seems a lot of that goes on these days. Can be hard to pick through that.
    I also agree a lot of lures are fine with standards for fish like Cobes, Macks and the like, but Barra are not like those fish. They are nowhere near as hard on the pointy end as them either. I (and many others) believe that Barra would be one of the most ruthless fish that swims when it comes to terminal tackle wear and tear.

If its working for you, happy days. You also may not be as serious about your fishing as some of us, and purely enjoy the experience of being on the water having a dig.
    But that noise I can hear is Awoonga's Barra's lining up to eat your lure mate, because they have been given a wild card for early release.
    In saying all that, as Navi said, if your happy,then stick with it. The only person you need to please is yourself.
    Happy fishing
    JW

Quote Originally Posted by barramad.
    Dont have to be big fish to stretch owners. Ive caught plenty of sub 70's that open up ST 66TN owners. It doesnt always come down to how hard you pull on them, as already stated jaw pressure is the force at play here, open water or in the jungle.
    JW
    agree with Jas here...monduran a week or so ago got a 72cm fish that opened up 2 of the 3 trebles and split rings (owner of course with standard halco splits on RMG) needless to say i was quite suprised...drag pressure was not unduly high 4-5kg although a fair bit of thumb was needed as it was hooked in some pretty suicidal country