Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BASS vs BARRA who fights harder???? :-?

Re: BASS vs BARRA who fights harder???? :-?

This has been a great thread to read, however... There is one fish that has not been mentioned yet, and I am extremely confident that a 30cm model would rip a full size Bass to bits. I am talking about the Jungle Perch. I am fortunate enough to live relatively close to many Gin Clear streams on the coast, which are amazing places to fish and are crowded with huge Sooty's and the odd Jungle Perch. JP's are extremely aggressive, yet curious fish, reaching sizes of up to 40cm. However, to catch one at around 30cm is a good effort.

Pound for Pound, these fish win hands down in my mind! Streaming is definetely my favourite type of fishing, with Impoundment Barra closely behind it.
    TT

Re: BASS vs BARRA who fights harder???? :-?..

Defiently BASS

Hey Tinaroo curious what gear u use for the streaming on the sooties and jps regards

Cam

Hey Guys,

Great thread but is it exhausted yet? I wouldnt mind seeing one on the Bone fish - but then again is there anything that can compare with these dynamos by all accounts anyway??!

G'day Cam,

Nothing special mate, as your gear really does cop a flogging when your wading in elbow deep water and somtimes climbing over boulders the size of houses to get to good spots. Generally I like to use slightly longer rods for longer casts, so you can hang back from the waters edge a little more and not spook the fish. You can also get alot of control with the longer rods, and really move the fish around when they are hooked. I use a 7ft Outermark Pro-Target Rod (2-4kg)... You may laugh at Outermark rods because they are cheap, but infact the bloke that makes these rods I am told use to have a big part in the making of Uglystick's. Compact little reels with a nice smooth drag helps alot... I use a Viva Ballet BF 2000 reel, which has a total of 12 bearings and a ultra smooth drag. But I think line is the big issue... I use 8lb Platypus Pre-Test and 10lb Pre-Test as leader... You get cut around a fair bit, but makes you fight even harder! Lures play a big part too... Little poppers and Spinnerbaits are good, aswell as Sub-Surface Hardb8's.

Hope this has been of some help. Heading down the coast tomorrow for a fish... Might post up a report If Im not cut for time.
    TT

Yep jungles do go pretty hard, but as a comparison to bass i'd rate them the same. Junglies get alot of there fighting power from the fast water that they live in. Some of the bass that i've caught in the tweed have been in similar fast flowing conditions and they put up an awsome fight. As for barra it's a tough call. again roughly the same though i've never caught a bass sized barra as a comparison. I think it all comes down to how fired up the fish are when you hook them. My bench mark for fresh water fish was a session in the chook pen up at cania dam. It was building up to a storm and the water temp was 32 degrees. 3-4lb bass were pulling off about 5lb of drag plus thumb pressure and making it back home to sticks sometimes 5 metres away.

At least I can say I've caught both.

IMO it has to be bass.... the little aussie battler!!!, hands down.

roz.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

mitch_05

Haven't had the pleasure of catching either