Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BASS vs BARRA who fights harder???? :-?

Wallis_bassman

BASS vs BARRA who fights harder???? :-?

I have only caught bass and i think they pull frigin hard for there size.
    i am wondering what you think BARRA or BASS????

Re: BASS vs BARRA who fights harder???? :-?

Pound for pound & length Vs length, bass pull barra inside out & backwards.
    Unfortunately, bass dont grow to much more than 50cm, barra can get 3 times the size & 10 times the weight of a bass.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

PS- watch the swearing pls.
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

hardb8

BASS! Can't wait for the Barra boys to turn up here.LOL .

Hi fellas Love my barra and caught plenty but pound for pound you win, Barra at 30 kilos does pull like buggery but a bass to there credit are little pigs, imagine a 120 cm bass near pull you out of the boat.

I still like the big Barra I would not drive five hours for a bass.

Hi guys lets keep this as a fun question and dont anyone get your nose out of joint -
    but the winner is Barra!!
    I have caught small Barra and Bass at Lake Lenthalls one after the other. The Barra was about 60 cm, it ran jumped twice and ran again. Five minutes later I caught a 35 cm Bass on the same lure- I pulled it straight to the side of the boat as soon as it hit cos I was expecting a Barra fight. The poor thing looked very surprised in the net, but at least he swam away fresh. I was using my Bass rod with 10 lb braid at the time, so the gear was normal Bass gear.
    I love Bass fishing especially surface popping, but its no contest
    Rob

i love fishing for (and catching) both bass and barra....i would say on the same gear a smallish (45-50cm) barra would fight better than same size bass...most small barra are caught when anglers are chasing larger barra, hence they are using bigger gear and there is no contest. yet when you chase big bass you use bass gear so the fight seems harder....when i was visiting the olds earlier in the year up near cairns i had a flick in their dam which was only recently stocked with barra...using my bass spin gear...i hooked one of the larger fish which i estimate to be around 45cm and it went off! ended up blowing me away into reeds and went harder than many bass of similair size i have caught...that said i have occaisionally hooked mid 40-high 40's bass that seem to have that extra go with long powerful runs and some good tuna style circle work...these fish are normally hooked on shallower flats type areas...but still at the end of the day IMO barra are the ticket for me when it comes to fight quality...while bass win on their proximity (prime bass dam 10min from my house) and aggressiveness...pretty hard to nail 20-30 barra in a session!

I've only caught 3 barra and the smallest I have landed was 108cm

It pulled pretty hard.

I've caught plenty of bass though and you'd almost have to say that a 50cm bass in a dam would probably fight harder than a 50cm barra......most 50cm barra I've seen pictures of look pretty skinny....and most 50cm bass I've seen are usually chunky little buggers.

Caught lots of small barra and big bass and agree with Wheezer. generally target them with different gear and therefore Bass can seem like they pull harder. I've had 60cm barra straighten standard hooks and even bust 40lb leader at Monduran but have never had a Bass do that.

Are Black/Spot tail bass included in this topic?????

No challenge - not that I've caught one

Having fished Lenthalls a few times now it is a great dam to compare the two. Usually I fish 6 lb braid for most of my plastic fishing for bass around the weed. Last time there I caught 6 bass all between 46 and 48 cm and then 2 barra in the first hour. The barra were only 52 and 56 cm. The fight while under the water were virtually identical, and I didn't really know if it was a bass or barra until the fish either jumped or came close enough to the boat to see.

So my response is that they are pretty much the same for the same size. Small barra when searching for big ones with heavy gear come to the boat pretty quick. Also large bass on light line go like the clappers. So it all depends on the gear and an identical sized fish of either species. I'd probably see the bass as slightly on top of a barra due to the bass going more for cover and the barra go to the air.

Either way I'll never get sick of either of them.

Rob

S.S.

Both are fantastic to catch but it's not really fair to compare two different fish.
    Why not compare a whiting and a marlin next time? # # Geez, how hard would a whiting pull if it grew to the same size as a black. #

Take each species on face value and enjoy the fact that we are still able to fish for them. #

Very hard to compare but I know one thing for sure, I would be happy with a 45cm bass but not so happy with a 45cm barra irrespective of how hard they pull.

cheers
    Ray

dave green is an article on this.

barra came out on top.

Yeah David Green had an article on this topic in one of this years NAFA Barra Bass and Bream digest's. He reckoned Barra won hands down against Bass... Have never caught Bass, but I have dropped plenty when I have stayed with my Uncle at Tagoolawah and fished Somerset. I think they are equally as good, and are very exciting to catch. No real need to play them off against each other...

A good topic though would be Bass V Sooties... That could be interesting. Full size Sooties are almost impossible to stop on a respectable Line class, and Id imagine a Bass would be too.
    TT

I've been bricked by bass quite a few times in the timber. My first visit to Glenbawn Dam saw blokes fishing 20lb braid and 40lb leader getting smashed in the sticks.

They can sometimes be like bronzed jacks!

Hmmm!!! Would have to agree with Leeann.... Not really fair to compare 2 different fish with 2 different growth rates, size, maturity etc! And it depends on what sort of mood the fish are in on the day….. I would probably lean towards Bass Length for length and using the same drag setting etc … can’t compare 60 cm Barra to a 45 cm Bass. Try and stop a 55 cm wild small water Bass in a nasty mood you will get the shock of your life But overall I don’t think you would ever get a fair comparison unless you could test them over the whole length and weight range…. 900mm Barra go hard in the sticks or open area !!! Imagine a 900mm Bass

Cheers Les

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."