Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BASS vs BARRA who fights harder???? :-?

Re: BASS vs BARRA who fights harder???? :-?

i think thay pull just as hard as each other, i have been geting alot of 45cm-50cm barra at the barra park and thay fight so hard. it's such a tuff call to put a barra up against a aussie bass because all the bass i have caught have pulled like a freight train (27cm being my smallest and 50cm my bigest) love em both and just hope someone dose clone a bassamundi
    figjam :wink:

Why not compare Bass & Sooty Grunter, a fairer comparison. I reckon the Sooty would pull the Bass backwards a long way and very quickly.
    Ray

Have to agree with Leanne here always comparing Barra and Bass who fights better or dirtier its like comparing who would win Lennox Lewis or Jeff Fenech they were never in the same weight division, the comparison with the sootie and the bass far more relevant and as I have fished for both agree the Sooty is for me a better fight and harder fiight compared to the bass but once again hard to compare due to where Sooties normally live, geetting them out of fast flowing streams has many challenges.

regards,

THE BOMBER

Barra over the bass by a short head.

However saying that reckon a Mangrove Jack in same size will pull the skin off the custard.

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

S.S.

When fishing the Wenlock River up at Cape York we often come across barra, sooties, saratoga and archer fish. We've rarely had a sooty "do us" in the sticks but those togas can be tricky little buggers sometimes and I've certainly been done by them. The barras are even easier on us than the togas but then again, there are XXXXL togas up that way.

Great thread too. We've all got very different ideas when it comes to fishing and it's always been interesting to read everyone's ideas and opinions. We may agree to disagree on certain points but that's what makes the site a great one to visit.

Cheers and Merry Christmas everyone
    Leeann

WHITTO

G'Day All, It's evident that we are talking about 2 different weight divisions, # I target both species and love catching both, right now It's Barra time, # Cheers #and good fishing 2u all (Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to all) Whitto #

Dont know about different weight divisions ??!! Ive caught both fish of very similar weight and id give it to a healthy Bass - find the barra calls it a day sooner.
    Is the black bass related to our Bass?? he might give the big barras a run for their money by all accounts!!
    I reckon as long as its a fair fight its all good !!

Hi All,

Just returned from fishing at Baia up in PNG and landed a 40lb spot tail bass. If you are looking at a serious fight - these critters will do the job. I used 50lb braid, with an 80lb leader and we were lucky to get it into the boat. In terms of barra fishing, i must say my experience in this area is not the same as others but i have caught some good quality barra - not in the league of the spot tail bass - but reasonable enough to say each the bass fights well in its own environment (ie snags, open water) just like the barra. I am tending to lean toward the bass for brute strength over the barra.

Jus- Aussie bass (Macquaria novemaculeata) and Spot tail bass (Lutjanus fuscescens) are completley different. Spot tail bass are related to mangrove jacks, fingermark, red emperor etc.

Bass and barra have alot of similarities so I think it is fair to pit one against another. I rate barra as the better fighter in 40-50cm but bass will take it out from 1-40cm.

Maybe it is more in the weight than length.

Pete.

8-10kg lutjanus johnie go hard (golden snapper)
    figjam :wink:

mikedel

Pound for pound and inch for inch I must give this one to bass, if they grew to 140cm I'd be saying barra-who.
    On slight tangent, has anyone else noticed that the bass in some dams fight harder than others? I've fished nearly every bass dam and would rate pound for pound bass from Lenthalls & Glenbourne as the hardest (or dirtiest) fighters I've come across.

Never caught a barra as small as a bass, so cant really be sure, but if (wishes were dollars I'd be rich) if bass were the same size as Barra, I'd go with Bass.

nuggstar, you said:-

"(27cm being my smallest and 50cm my bigest)"

I can't better your best one of 50cm possibly because we only fish our river but I can better your smallest 27cm one.

Several nights ago I hooked a 10cm bass on a 7cm (not counting the rear treble) Heddon baby torpedo. Went like the clappers too, barbless hooks so apart from a sore lip he was fine.
    Pretty fast flowing water so I guess they just grab it while they can.

Every1 has there own opinion but i would probaly stick with the bass pound for pound. Like some1 mentioned if bass could grow over 1+ and could give an acrobatics display people would say 'barra what??'
    In reality i wouldn't really want to travel 250km to catch a bass, i would only travel that far to catch a barra.

Leanne, you are so philosophical. LOL But it is true!

I have caught both and for comparative weight and size as the others have mentioned, The Aussie Bass wins hand down.

Ray