Thread: Chinchilla weir

Aaron_H

Chinchilla weir

Hi all,
    I am new to this site and was wondering if anyone could offer any info on fishing Chinchilla weir. I am planning a campjing trip on the Australia day long weekend and am keen to get onto some yellowbelly. I am still relatively new to Queensland and am still in an exploring phase, (In other words I pick a fishing spot out of the Freshwater fishing Queensland DPI guide and head there, unfortunately been found out a couple of times by arriving to spots that have been dry for a while damn drought) Any info would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
    Aaron

Tim_01

Re: Chinchilla weir

Hey Aaron,

My parents and I visited Chinchilla Weir on the way home from our 4WD trip and it looked pretty low, it didnt seem like there was alot of space to fish in, and with a few other boats there'd be even less room. I'd advise you to give Chinchilla Shire council a call;
    ph. 07 4662 7056. Also, have a look on this SunWater webpage. It gives you a relatively up to date capacity of all the dams/weirs they own over Qld including Chinchilla Weir. Sorry but I've never fished the place so i can't offer you any info on that.

http://www.sunwater.com.au/water_store.htm

cheers,

Tim.

Aaron_H

Thanks mate will give them a call tomoorow

kevin_jackson

Yeah mate, the weir is currently at 26%, it does not offer to mnay option to catch fish at the weir it self at the moment, but i have heard of some catches further up stream at achers crossing, but it has a very rough camping area, no shower, toilets or boat ramp. can get on to some pretty good water if you travel back up from the weir, but i don't know how far you would get on current water level, as there is a lot of fallen timber. hope that helps and you get onto some fish.

Kev

Charlie creek weir just out of chinchilla might be an option as well. you could also try to access oakey creek for yellas, cod and carp. some of the weirs on the condamine such as lemontree may still hold water as well.

Beno

Aaron_H

Thanks guys but made some phone calls today to the councils, and the situation is very bleak out there at the moment, will head down texas inglewood area instead I think.