Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: lenthalls bans all motors over 6 hp

mikedel

Re: lenthalls bans all motors over 6 hp

Still wondering if the Fraser Coast Fish Stocking Assoc has an opinion on the strict 6hp rule.
    Are they against it?
    Are they fighting it?
    Do they support it?
    Are they 2 bob each way?
    Not having a go at them, I'm just keen to know where they stand.

See article in fishing column in todays courier mail so hopefully not too many people will be turned away.
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by M62
    Still wondering if the Fraser Coast Fish Stocking Assoc has an opinion on the strict 6hp rule.
    Are they against it?
    Are they fighting it?
    Do they support it?
    Are they 2 bob each way?
    Not having a go at them, I'm just keen to know where they stand.

It doesn't matter what our opinion is, its not going to change whats happened

Dan

mikedel

Thanks Dan but what I was asking was as a group do they have a position on the situation? I would assume with all the hard work they have done over the years and the investment they have in this fishery they would at least have an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by M62
    Thanks Dan but what I was asking was as a group do they have a position on the situation?
    sorry wont be able to answer your Q till our next meeting in three weeks

my opinion is that it will give the fishery a bit of a relax for a while.

Dan

Did anyone contact Mr Leaver to get the story....well l did...nice bloke....This is only a short term thing its a work place health and safety site at the moment because of all the work they are doing Applications close today for a ranger {my moneys on Big Dan }....once thats in place he will be able to monitor things like camping...speed.... hoons.....so motor size wont be a issue...You do the wrong thing and you wont be coming back......simple.....4 knots will stay and so it should....As far as comps...no problem just write them a letter.......
    Kids need models, more than they need critics."
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand."
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga
    Did anyone contact Mr Leaver to get the story....well l did...nice bloke....This is only a short term thing its a work place health and safety site at the moment because of all the work they are doing Applications close today for a ranger {my moneys on Big Dan }....once thats in place he will be able to monitor things like camping...speed.... hoons.....so motor size wont be a issue...You do the wrong thing and you wont be coming back......simple.....4 knots will stay and so it should....As far as comps...no problem just write them a letter.......

g-day Trev merry x-mas to you

The dam area closure is temp till all the work is done out there, when will that be who knows wbw say about March April could be longer.
    i carnt see it all done by then, wet season and all

ranger for me....don't think so....watching other people go fishing......don't think so
    as far as comps things are changing as-well in the future

Dan

rayken1938 dont think there are too many people that you could convince (other than yourself)to go out on 'W' in a storm.If per chance to do get caught by some SUDDEN unforecast weather change instead of trying to make HEADWAY try, running with the wind on your quarter or at whatever course she holds best, im sure youll make landfall ,its a lake.I fished"W" for years ,ist rowing my 11footer now flying with a 30lb lecky had no major weather problems,once between platypus and billies a breeze did speed up and dampen my trip home.Yes the lake does blowup but its not that fast that you wont get enough notice to make land be it a little damp,if you want to make the ramp at logans in a howling thats your judgement dont blame anybody and put your life jacket on,even with ample power some people get into trouble, but thats the nature of the beast.KEEP W PETROL FREE IM not a greenie or a boffin but a fisherman sick of idiots stuffing our playgrounds.Have a good day alex

ssab I am NOT talking about going out in a storm or even when a storm is forcast. We ( I hope) are all prudent when going out on big w when iffy weather is forecast. What I am speaking about is a sudden change that is NOT forecast. Have you ever had to spend a night on a lee shore wet and cold and 3ft waves breaking on the shore? You have to pull your boat up as high as possible to stop it being swamped and then the next morning unload the batteries etc so you can drag it back to the water. Plus most of the dam is out of mobile range and you are not even able to ring up and say I am sitting the weather out untill its safe to move.
    My dam boat is a quintrex explorer and seaworthyness is not an issue but battery power is even though I have 2 X 120ah deep cycle batteries plus an 100 ah reserve coupled with a 55 lb minnkota.
    A 4hp four stroke will only give me an extra knot or so but I would have the endurance to slug into a head wind and waves that you can never have with an electric.
    This is not going to destroy the enviorament and shurely common sence should prevail when safety is involved.
    IfI were out in a sailing boat and adverse weather sprung up I would be allowed to use a petrol motor to return to the ramp.
    Ray

ray totally agree with you, summer storms on W, spent many nights redclawing in summer,fishing sucked too many catties,but i can hardly compare sheltering in the lee with a boating tradgey because of insufficient power,i have sheltered in the lee of morton with with a heap of other boats because a summer storm blewup(in a 18ft pride with a 115 on the back no canopy or hot tucker)uncomfortable YES life threating NO.Youll probably see that im very biased about petrol on W have seen to many areas stuffed by cowboys hellbent on speeding, I go fishing for the tranquillity with hopefully the occasional rush when the fish are on.put a hp limit on ??? why bother, more legislation,remember Frazer,Somerset,Leslie , Stradbroke,Upper Brissey River fished them all ,not anymore too many people in a hurry going nowhere or the place is closed or policed that much you may as well go fishing in the city.Lets slow down and smell the roses.cheers Alex

If you cant camp at lenthals, where is the nearest fisho friendly camping ground?

Allowing 4hp's would make a cheaper option that batteries and 'kota! particulary if you need a bow mount as well. It also makes it easier to meet your general safety obligation, IE juice for 1/3 out, 1/3 back and 1/3 reserve. Lot of batteries to cart on a big dam if you want to access the whole dam.

What makes it hard putting a hp limit on petrol motors, is that if your running a console, taking the big donk off is no minor activity! gotta disconnect all the controls etc, pull the heavy bugger off, put it back on, then reconnect everything.

spoton Feral, I carry 3deep cycle(110amp/hr)batterries and get approx8hrs slow trolling or 2.5hrs flat strap,have never had to use the 3rd,thats usually from logans to platypus.slow, but fishing all the way,youll be suprised where and what turns up on the sounder.Still know that the kota is the cheapest motor to run that I have ever owned.cheers alex

mitch_05

If you cant camp at lenthals, where is the nearest fisho friendly camping ground?
    not far from lenthalls there is an area called wongi waterholes. nice and close to lenthalls, can swim and it has toilets and i THINK showers, but do not qoute me on the showers. think a permit is needed but from memory these are not much from the national parks,

Ta Mitch!

Yeah Ssab1 they are cheap to run, but expensive to buy!

If you pay retail for good batteries they are hundreds each, and the 'kota wont see much change out of about $700 for a bigun. Not to mention the battery chargers, they are a couple of hundred each as well. (or charger if you can wait 3 days to go again!)

a 4hp four stroke is much less than 3 deep cycle batteries, a quality charger and a 55 lb riptide. then Inormally replace at least one battery every 2 years because I find that after 3 years even the best batteries are well down on capacity.
    Ray