Thread: Monduran early Feb

Monduran early Feb

I am heading to Monduran the first week of Feb with a few mates and was wondering what the fishing was like at the moment. Have the crowds have shut the fish down? What is the current water temp?
    ANGLER NOT DANGLER

Re: Monduran early Feb

Can't answer your questions angler, but I'm planning on being there for a couple of days from around 29th Jan. I'll try to leave a few fish uncaught for you.

Thanks NormC i will need all the help i can get as i have been there 3 times and still have no legal size barra for a decent photo.And been out fished by my father inlaw whos new to it all is a real downer
    ANGLER NOT DANGLER

read the last threads on monduran in the reports it will get you going.

I was there for the full moon in Jan '06 as a first timer. I also put 10 days in over October Nov full moon last year.

For me, catching fish casting to the timber is much more exciting than trolling.

BUT, catching fish trolling is MUCH more exciting than not catching fish casting to the timber.

In Nov this year, a sh!tload of fish came on the bite on the troll in the main basin. If you trolled the 3m contour with a 1.5m lure in the right spot on the last couple of days we were there, you were on But, you had to be relaxed about 20 other boats all trying to do the same thing. Or go somewhere else.

At that time of year, the fish may mostly be in the main basin. They may be deep, or they may be shallow. The extensive use of 'may' indicates I don't really know what I am talking about.

If I was going there in Feb, I would:

drink plenty of water and use sunscreen; by looking after yourself you can put the hours in
    Would turn up at the cleaning table at appropriate times and ask gentle questions; likewise at the shop; buy a few recommended lures
    Would keep my eyes open and see what is producing. Could be trolling shallow lures well above idle (us in Jan '06). Again, keeping a biggish distance while the other boat lands their fish, then idleing over for a chat may be worthwhile
    would probably troll in the main basin, a mix of deep divers (halco crazy deeps) to shallow runners
    Would cast to the edges early or late..... maybe
    if you are trolling the main basin, any outfit with enough rod guts to set the hook, and some line capacity, and an appropriate leader, will do the job. If you are in amongst the sticks, well you win some, you lose some .That's why I enjoy the sticks
    Rick K