Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sommerset damn fishing

Re: Sommerset damn fishing

Paul,
    Tilapia grow well and truely big enough to eat. I know people that eat them and they say they are better than bass or goldens.

Younster,
    Try off the point at kirklea i was went past there on saturday and seen a couple of people landing fish.

Damien
    When the wife said i could get a lab i think she meant a dog.

LABSPORT XT 200H.O. etec

Re: Sommerset damn fishing

Tilapia are a commercial fish in their home areas. They stock them now in fish farms and have sustained fishing #based communities for millenia.
    It's a wonder the rotting fish around the edges aren't a bonus for berley huh..
    Here's something I just found doing a quick search..

Worldwide harvest of farmed tilapia
    has now surpassed 800,000 metric
    tons, and tilapia are second only to
    carps as the most widely farmed
    freshwater fish in the world.
    The Nile tilapia (O. niloticus) was
    one of the first fish species cultured.
    Illustrations from Egyptian tombs
    suggest that Nile tilapia were cultured
    more than 3,000 years ago.
    Tilapia have been called ÒSaint
    PeterÕs fishÓ in reference to biblical
    passages about the fish fed to the
    multitudes. The Nile tilapia is still
    the most widely cultured species of
    tilapia in Africa.

Somerset land based options-

I dunno any in particular, but then I haven't tried.
    However, before all this really bad dry began, I used to frequent a spot at Villenue (not far from Kirkleigh). There's a bridge there. On the dag highway side, downstream from the bridge. (so that would be the "right" side of the bank if standing on the bridge looking downstream); a small (couple acres) of land is available. I'm not 100% sure of the legality of being there, but I'm not the only person that's fished there, and I've never had a single bit of strife. On the opposite bank however, a young fella gave me curry once, seems he thinks he owns the land there. He must of course lease it from the water board, not sure if he has the right to eject anyone? It's not fenced.
    But if you stick to the spot I mentioned first, I'm quiet sure you'll be left alone, and if there's water there, I'd give you "odds on" to at least catch reasonable size yellowbelly. Good bass should be in there, and people who fish in boats along that stretch (stanley river?) tell me it's home to enormous bass. but in the restriced space of that bank from land, I've never caught a single bass.

Good luck mate.
    rob

PS. there's a spot close to the bridge on the side I mentioned which has enough room for a few cars. Just be aware that this is likely to be the only spot to park, so you can be prepared to stop when you get there. This is also where you access the river from.

PPS I just had to stress this spot could well be high and dry for all I know. it's usually a very deep place with good flow, but I haven't seen it in two years or so, and things have gone very bad since then of course.