Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoking Fish

Smoking Fish

Hi all,
    I'm a keen fisherman but have never bothered smoking fish before. There is lots of info on the web about smoking fish and lots of comments about the properties of smoking with different woods. What I haven't been able to find is any info on where you can get all these different woods.
    Can anyone offer any general advice? It would be much apprecieated.

Derek_Bullock

Re: Smoking Fish

Hi

I use the Aussie Fish Smoker/Cooker to hot smoke my fish. http://www.southern-metal-spinners.c...smoker_new.htm

I brine the fish for a few hours in half a cup of both brown sugar and salt mixed with a litre of cold water.

I use hickory shavings. I find that most good camping and fishing stores sell a variety of shavings. Spotted gum is also a good one.

Photo below of smoked snapper. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Derek

Hi Derek,
    Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll have to find myself a better camping store. Your snapper looks ace. We're catchin a few good sized ones around at the moment so I better get onto it sharpish.

Hi Derek,

What does brining the fish for an hour do? Does it simply add a tad more flavour to the fish?

Regards
    CT

Derek_Bullock

Yes it gives it that nice salty flavour you get with smoked fish. I believe the sugar helps the smoke flavour to adhere to the fish.

Works for me. Also only takes about 8 minutes to cook.

Derek

turkey_beach_boy

Hy jimmy most good takle stores sell wood shavings.I have also heard dried corn cobs are good stuff.Dont use any pine that has been treated.

turkey_beach_boy

That pic is making me hungry, might have to visit the fridge

Sorry I forgot to ask before Derek but should, or is it the aim to actually get the half cup of salt and sugar to dissolve in the cold water?

Regards
    CT

hey guys
    i enjoy whole smoked bonito flaked off the bone and put through a cold sallad. yummo, and thats from a guy that doesnt eat much fish.
    i got a butcher friend to do them for me
    he soaked it in brine and smoked it with hardwood shavings from the sawmill. in his big smoker.
    i have also heard that banksia wood and pods work well.
    cheers

CT, leave it in the brine for 20 mins to 2 hrs, your choice. Completely dissolve the sugar and salt before adding the fish.The book says to then pat the fish dry and let it get a tacky finish.Can't say I've ever noticed any real difference tho'. Even the brine seems to be pretty optional. Also read a recipe that suggested no brine, instead brushing oyster sauce over the fillet. Haven't tried it myself.. yet. My favourite wood is the prunings from the apple tree, used green is fine, if it's later in the yr and the've dried out I soak them for a couple hrs so they don't burn too fast. Banksia pods crumbled up work a treat too, as a last resort those commercially available woods are fine. If you can find someone with pecan trees that'll let you take the prunings you'll be set, apparently they work well too. Enjoy!

Hi Jimmy,

As the others have said, good camping and tackle stores have various woods for smoking, but I'd also point out you can get them in bigger places like Barbecues Galore. Normally near the Webber/Kettle BBQ's.

Good luck,
    Mike

YOU USUALLY USE A STRONG BRINE IF YOU ARE GOING TO PRESERVE THE FISH BY COLD SMOKING.ALL YOU NEED TO DO IF ARE GOING TO USE THE FISH STRAIGHT AWAY AND YOU ONLY WANT TO HOT SMOHE IT FOR FLAVOUR IS USE A MILD BRINE OF SALT AND BROWN SUGAR OR HONEY FOR ABOUT 20 MINUTES TO LEECH THE BLOOD OUT OF THE FISH.THEN LET THE FISH DRY IN THE BREEZE UNTIL IT IS TACKY.I LIKE TO USE IRONBARK OR MACADAMIA HICKORY IS GREAT BUT YOU USUALLY HAVE TO BUY IT .DON'T USE ANY GREEN GUMS AS THEY MAKE THE FISH BITTER AND LEAVE A BAD AFTER TASTE

Thank you all for your advice and comments. It looks like I'm going to have a lot of fun trying all the different ideas you've given me. All I need now is the fish and at least it's comming into peak period here.

Thanks again

Look foward to seeing a few pics of your results!
    You say fish, I say yes please.

i have just started smoking snappa fillets and so far they taste great ..
    i have not used the brine as yet .. next time

smoker is one from BCF at lawnton ...
    "whats the time"